And yet another name change. John Wayne Airport

Although Wayne did make a statement that would be thought of as racist today, most folks did not turn to Wayne for racial wisdom. If you really research the article in the OP you'll discover that those statements by Wayne came from a 1971 Playboy interviewer who asked him about Angela Davis.

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

As far as discriminating against blacks:

When asked about his own hiring practices, Wayne said that while he did not discriminate against black actors or crew members, he didn’t seek them out either: “I’ve directed two pictures, and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in The Alamo, and I had a correct number of blacks in The Green Berets. If it’s supposed to be a black character, naturally I use a black actor. But I don’t go so far as hunting for positions for them. I think the Hollywood studios are carrying their tokenism a little too far. ...”

Look these are Wayne's own views. His actions really didn't reflect he was racist. Apparently, nowadays, one cannot even express their own private feeling without being labeled by the PC police. Obama made racist statements about white cops, should he be erased from history too?
Obama never made racist comments about white cops. John Wayne was a racist but that's not why his statues should go. He was not an American hero. He was an actor that played heroes.
Why should his statue go? Isn't so.e of this going too far? I totally get the confederate memorials, but some of the others seem to be just destructive.
far too much of it is unfortunately. i can show video after video of black people beating the shit out of whites, videos of whites kissing the feet of blacks, and blacks demanding what, $14 trillion dollars?

isn't all of this going too far? when it results in mob riots and random beatings of someone for their skin color, what makes the blacks any better than whites who beat slaves and blacks in the 1800s or at any time in mankinds history?

we bitch whine and holler divide and then we divide ourselves up.

no statue or any monument should be moved without proper process. to take any 1 sides mindset as "altruistic" and the honorable method and give them a pass to run roughshod over all is wrong and it will in fact result in a backlash.

if we are to move on from our past it has to be together or it simply repeats it.

The meaning of the word, "racist" has devolved from "someone who hates Blacks" to "someone whom Blacks hate." Simple as that. And of course, today, "Blacks" includes pathetic white losers (e.g., "Antifa") who want to virtue-signal by signing on to all the Black "causes."

I am waiting with 'bated breath for the movement to re-name all the Martin Luther King Boulevards and MLK public schools because MLK was a serial adulterer and a first-class hypocrite.

Although Wayne did make a statement that would be thought of as racist today, most folks did not turn to Wayne for racial wisdom. If you really research the article in the OP you'll discover that those statements by Wayne came from a 1971 Playboy interviewer who asked him about Angela Davis.

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

When asked about his own hiring practices, Wayne said that while he did not discriminate against black actors or crew members, he didn’t seek them out either: “I’ve directed two pictures, and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in The Alamo, and I had a correct number of blacks in The Green Berets. If it’s supposed to be a black character, naturally I use a black actor. But I don’t go so far as hunting for positions for them. I think the Hollywood studios are carrying their tokenism a little too far. ...”

Look these are Wayne's own views. His actions really didn't reflect he was racist. Apparently, nowadays, one cannot even express their own private feeling without being labeled by the PC police. Obama made racist statements about white cops, should he be erased from history too?
Obama never made racist comments about white cops. John Wayne was a racist but that's not why his statues should go. He was not an American hero. He was an actor that played heroes.
Why should his statue go? Isn't so.e of this going too far? I totally get the confederate memorials, but some of the others seem to be just destructive.
far too much of it is unfortunately. i can show video after video of black people beating the shit out of whites, videos of whites kissing the feet of blacks, and blacks demanding what, $14 trillion dollars?

isn't all of this going too far? when it results in mob riots and random beatings of someone for their skin color, what makes the blacks any better than whites who beat slaves and blacks in the 1800s or at any time in mankinds history?

no statue or any monument should be moved without proper process. to take any 1 sides mindset as "altruistic" and the honorable method and give them a pass to run roughshod over all is wrong and it will in fact result in a backlash.

if we are to move on from our past it has to be together or it simply repeats it.

True. But what proper process erected them under Jim Crowe?

dunno. and a fair question to point out as we meet as a group to decide what to do.

no one group has the right to be violent and tear down what we all share.

no one.

dunno. and a fair question to point out as we meet as a group to decide what to do.

no one group has the right to be violent and tear down what we all share.

no one.
Agree.

This nation has never been unified. We can find videos of anything. Nobody is running roughshod over anyone but whites. Hate crimes annually show this. Some whites such as yourself look for anything to deny what whites keep doing. There aren't all that many blacks attacking whites and unlike slavery those blacks doing it go to prison. Whites who beat slaves were not punished and the practice was encouraged. We ask for reparations because of human rights violations. The statues honoring racists divide the nation, whites do not get to be the only ones that determine what should be honored. Whites are not the only ones who get to consider what is divisive. John Wayne did nothing significant in America . He ran from military service and he was a racist. So his image is divisive and there are whites such as you who need to understand that.

We move beyond the past by changing our mindset about the past. You don't want to do that. There are other whites who have made a greater impact on this country and were not racists. They can be honored and no one will be offended.

Some are for it..some think it ridiculous. Meanwhile...Byrd's statue is still there in its place. When will it be removed because of hurt feelers?
Being a bigot is not his claim to fame. He is famous for his acting and the roles he played. The anti-history morons need to take a breath. Or in some cases a breathalyzer or drug screen, along with a bran muffin.

And just think, those statute removing geniuses just might be running things soon.
At the very lest, we've certainly been moving in that direction for decades.

When they run out of statues they will come for us.
they already are !

This nation has never been unified. We can find videos of anything. Nobody is running roughshod over anyone but whites. Hate crimes annually show this. Some whites such as yourself look for anything to deny what whites keep doing. There aren't all that many blacks attacking whites and unlike slavery those blacks doing it go to prison. Whites who beat slaves were not punished and the practice was encouraged. We ask for reparations because of human rights violations. The statues honoring racists divide the nation, whites do not get to be the only ones that determine what should be honored. Whites are not the only ones who get to consider what is divisive. John Wayne did nothing significant in America . He ran from military service and he was a racist. So his image is divisive and there are whites such as you who need to understand that.

We move beyond the past by changing our mindset about the past. You don't want to do that. There are other whites who have made a greater impact on this country and were not racists. They can be honored and no one will be offended.
greater impacts ? like Lincoln ? or Grant ? it seems like they dont meet the standards of black racists and white wimps either ?

changing our mindset about the past ! lol ! all you do is talk about the past !

Forum List

Back