And the "Lie of the Year" goes to.............

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Surprise.

Lie of the Year: 'If you like your health care plan, you can keep it'

Published on Thursday, December 12th, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

Pants on Fire!
"What we said was, you can keep (your plan) if it hasn’t changed since the law passed."

Barack Obama, Monday, November 4th, 2013.

Ruling: Pants on Fire!

We counted dozens of times that President Barack Obama said that if people liked their health plans, they could keep them.

It was a catchy political pitch and a chance to calm nerves about his dramatic and complicated plan to bring historic change to America’s health insurance system.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," President Barack Obama said -- many times -- of his landmark new law.

But the promise was impossible to keep.

So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong.

Boiling down the complicated health care law to a soundbite proved treacherous, even for its promoter-in-chief. Obama and his team made matters worse, suggesting they had been misunderstood all along. The stunning political uproar led to this: a rare presidential apology.

For all of these reasons, PolitiFact has named "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," the Lie of the Year for 2013. Readers in a separate online poll overwhelmingly agreed with the choice. (PolitiFact first announced its selection on CNN's The Lead with Jake Tapper.)

For four of the past five years, PolitiFact’s Lie of the Year has revolved around the health care law, which has been subject to more erroneous attacks than any other piece of legislation PolitiFact has fact-checked.

Obama’s ideas on health care were first offered as general outlines then grew into specific legislation over the course of his presidency. Yet Obama never adjusted his rhetoric to give people a more accurate sense of the law’s real-world repercussions, even as fact-checkers flagged his statements as exaggerated at best.

Instead, he fought back against inaccurate attacks with his own oversimplifications, which he repeated even as it became clear his promise was too sweeping.

The debate about the health care law rages on, but friends and foes of Obamacare have found one slice of common ground: The president’s "you can keep it" claim has been a real hit to his credibility.

Why the cancellations happened

How did we get to this point?

MORE: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ar-if-you-like-your-health-care-plan-keep-it/

The lie of the year... it's almost as if we are praising politicians for lying to us.

Perhaps we should have the truth of the year. erase stigma of telling the truth.

it wasn't a lie ...

blog+212.jpg

A statement that is at least 90% true can hardly be the lie of the year.

To most Americans, by far, the statement was true.

He didnt say "for 90% of you if you like your plan you can keep your plan"

he said "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan, PERIOD."

It was a lie, and all your spin cannot stop it from being a lie.

By Politifact's own measurements, the statement was 'mostly true'. Did you lose your healthcare plan?

By Politifact's own measurements, the statement was 'mostly true'. Did you lose your healthcare plan?

I'm under employer provided insurance, I'm waiting for it next year, either changes i coverage, or whopping increases in costs.

Politifact was stooging for him until the lie became so obvious, they had to call it what it was. The fact you are still trying to spin this in Obama's favor is comical to say the least.

It. was. a. lie.

Only because they were not affected by the law...people like me....at least so far...a lot of fine print and glitches yet to come.

A pants on fire lie of the year should be completely false, not 'mostly true' as was what the president said.

I'm under employer provided insurance, I'm waiting for it next year, either changes i coverage, or whopping increases in costs.

Politifact was stooging for him until the lie became so obvious, they had to call it what it was. The fact you are still trying to spin this in Obama's favor is comical to say the least.

It. was. a. lie.

It was a lie to some people, and the truth to most people.

The statement is directed to all Americans, individually. Therefore it was neither completely true nor completely false. It's a case by case basis statement. Poltifact has 6categories for statements,

3 of which apply to statements that have some mix of true and false. The president's statement should have been in one of those categories.

It. was. a. lie.

The statement is directed to all Americans, individually. Therefore it was neither completely true nor completely false. It's a case by case basis statement. Poltifact has 6categories for statements,

3 of which apply to statements that have some mix of true and false. The president's statement should have been in one of those categories.

He made a blanket statement to the american people that if they liked thier plan, they could keep it. It was not the case. It was his law, created by his people, and they KNEW what was going to happen, yet he lied to sell the law.

IT WAS A LIE.

again, your spin just keeps getting dumber and dumber, its approaching truthmatters dumb at this point.

It. was. a. lie.

He made a blanket statement to the american people that if they liked thier plan, they could keep it. It was not the case. It was his law, created by his people, and they KNEW what was going to happen, yet he lied to sell the law.

IT WAS A LIE.

again, your spin just keeps getting dumber and dumber, its approaching truthmatters dumb at this point.

Since you've admitted that he didn't lie to you, you have verified that his statement was not completely untrue.

You are obviously not familiar with Politifacts categories. I suggest you go to their site and review, and stop making a fool of yourself for the thousandth time.

IT WAS A LIE.

Since you've admitted that he didn't lie to you, you have verified that his statement was not completely untrue.

You are obviously not familiar with Politifacts categories. I suggest you go to their site and review, and stop making a fool of yourself for the thousandth time.

Mitt Romey's Jeep kefluffle didnt affect me either, yet I have a feeling you are JUST FINE with that being the lie of the year, as you are a cheap dime store hack.

HE LIED, and your spin does nothing to change that.

So if a plane crashes while landing and 90% of the passengers live, do we call it a successful flight ?

You win worst analogy of the year. I'm not denying that the president's statement was not completely true;

you people are denying that it was mostly true. Began is denying that it was partly true while admitting that it was true in his case. That's proof enough that I'm right.

Forum List

Back