Ancient Spartan Dialect Still Alive Despite Ravages of Time and Fortune

So, if I learn modern Greek will it be easier to learn the dialect?

I have a browser up and I am looking at Rosetta Stone and Duolingo.
Not a whole let of similarity between the dialect and modern Greek. The dialect derives from the Doric branch of the Greek language tree...modern Greek is Ionic and Attic in nature.

alphabets look similar--might help with learning to read.

Tsakonika is based on the Doric language spoken by the ancient Spartans and it is the only remaining dialect from the western Doric branch of Hellenic languages. In contrast, Greek descends from the Ionic and Attic dialects on the eastern branch. While each of these use a similar alphabet, Tsakonika has more phonetic symbols and differs in structure and pronunciation. Unsurprisingly, Tsakonika is closer to ancient than modern Greek, but none of these languages are mutually intelligible
You seriously have no idea.

Greece, the home of one the oldest civilizations on the globe, is blessed with thousands of priceless monuments, from the Parthenon, the temple at Sounion and the site of Delphi, just to name a few. But perhaps no physical structure anywhere is as important than the living monument of a spoken language which originates directly from the ancient world.

One such language still survives today, despite the ravages of time and the many reversals of fortune that Greece has known, in Leonidio, a living remnant of the language of ancient Sparta, the warrior state which became the byword for an extraordinarily strict and regimented society.

Maybe this is the language that I need to learn.

That is really amazing! Thanks for sharing that!

Sparta was the world's first openly institutionally gay society. They also practiced the occult as common in those ancient days and always established at the birth of every male child if it is born gay or not. All that were not born gay were abandoned on a rock cliff.

The Spartan fame is based on this unique societal arrangement, because only a gay army could fight in such tight pairs watching constantly each other's backs that they were unbeatable. In fact this is what enabled them too to die down to the last man at the battle of the straight of Thermopylae.

A closed society that is incompatible with the natural world. No wonder it's isolated language survives.

Within the next 100 years about 90% of languages will go extinct.

问候同志
IMG_20201231_183857.jpg

Forum List

Back