Anatomy of the Explosion that Rocked Beirut

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On August 4, sensors in Bermuda registered a violent explosion, with values far higher than civilian detonations normally reach. The ultrasound waves were observed in Tunisia, Kazakhstan and on the Cape Verde islands. Instruments in Germany likewise recorded a change in atmospheric pressure.

The epicenter of the concussion was in the Lebanese capital city of Beirut, in a dilapidated storage depot down at the port. Hangar 12.

On that day in August, as much as 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate exploded shortly after 6 p.m., when a fire raised temperatures in the warehouse above the combustion point. Seconds prior there had been a first explosion of other materials in the warehouse that blew off its roof. The second explosion of the ammonium nitrate pulverized what was left.
Lebanon: Anatomy of the Explosion that Rocked Beirut - DER SPIEGEL
I wish Lebanon would get it's crap together. I really do. Their entire system from top to bottom is incompetent.

..more tonnage than dropped on Hamburg WW2--and many other cities....!!!

On August 4, sensors in Bermuda registered a violent explosion, with values far higher than civilian detonations normally reach. The ultrasound waves were observed in Tunisia, Kazakhstan and on the Cape Verde islands. Instruments in Germany likewise recorded a change in atmospheric pressure.

The epicenter of the concussion was in the Lebanese capital city of Beirut, in a dilapidated storage depot down at the port. Hangar 12.

On that day in August, as much as 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate exploded shortly after 6 p.m., when a fire raised temperatures in the warehouse above the combustion point. Seconds prior there had been a first explosion of other materials in the warehouse that blew off its roof. The second explosion of the ammonium nitrate pulverized what was left.
I wish Lebanon would get it's crap together. I really do. Their entire system from top to bottom is incompetent.

Cough . . . backpack nuke . . . cough. Ah, yes another ammonium nitrate accident of course.

Cough . . . backpack nuke . . . cough. Ah, yes another ammonium nitrate accident of course.

I'd bet it was an accident.
Why waste a perfectly good pocket nuke on a crappy dilapidated warehouse and dock?

I'd bet it was an accident.
Why waste a perfectly good pocket nuke on a crappy dilapidated warehouse and dock?

You are probably right. I don't know enough about Lebanese cloak and dagger to even hazard a guess.

That was almost as bad as the Texas City explosion in 47.
They found the 1.5 ton ships anchor 2 miles away.
I've never heard of that.

It's the largest industrial accident in US history.
It killed 581 people and caused a 15 foot tidal wave.

Holy cow. Thank you.

Ammonium Nitrate, add oil and blasting cap, kaboom.,

Ammonium Nitrate, add oil and blasting cap, kaboom.,

It sure did the trick in Oklahoma.

Forum List

Back