CDZ An ' I Am , Therefore I Think Argument ' Supports A Position Allowing Elective Abortion

Monk-Eye

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
" An ' I Am , Therefore I Think Argument ' Supports A Position Allowing Elective Abortion "

* Comparisons Between Phraseology *

" I think , therefore I am . " directly implies that a cognitive state is present in a substance .

Alternatively , " I am , therefore I think . " does not directly imply that a cognitive state is present in a substance , because " I am " may be an inchoate substance rather than a substance with a capacity for cognition .

The reason that an " I am , therefore I think argument " supports a position allowing elective abortion is that , in an " I think , therefore I am . " statement , the " I am " presupposes a necessity for thought to exist and thus be " protected " .

The time line for the onset of cognizance , in correlation with an onset of sentience , through formation of thalamocortical radiations , is determined by histology .

* Meditations on First Philosophy - Wikipedia

" An ' I Am , Therefore I Think Argument ' Supports A Position Allowing Elective Abortion "

" I think , therefore I am . " directly implies that a cognitive state is present in a substance .

Alternatively , " I am , therefore I think . " does not directly imply that a cognitive state is present in a substance , because " I am " may be an inchoate substance rather than a substance with a capacity for cognition .

The reason that an " I am , therefore I think argument " supports a position allowing elective abortion is that , in an " I think , therefore I am . " statement , the " I am " presupposes a necessity for thought to exist and thus be " protected " .

The time line for the onset of cognizance , in correlation with an onset of sentience , through formation of thalamocortical radiations , is determined by histology .

Cogito Ergo Dumb. Descartes is your baseline to justify abortion? Try de Sade instead. Everyone else does, whether they know it or not.

Eagle+egg.jpg

What the law values and does not value speaks volumes

" Ignorant Of Habitual Gluttony And Arrogance With Self Pardon "

* Trivialities Made Of Alternative Gawd Introspection *

When extinction of hue mammon is in jeopardy , it follows from theories for individualism that an element of self ownership includes progeny to satisfy a strong anthropic principle .

Sew , why would one be upset with protecting self ownership of creatures missed in fortune and divested of clad from gawd by the gluttony of hue mammon ?

" Seemed Logical At The Time "

* Why Knot *

Cogito Ergo Dumb. Descartes is your baseline to justify abortion? Try de Sade instead. Everyone else does, whether they know it or not.
In logic, a categorical proposition, or categorical statement, is a proposition that asserts or denies that all or some of the members of one category (the subject term) are included in another (the predicate term).[1] The study of arguments using categorical statements (i.e., syllogisms) forms an important branch of deductive reasoning that began with the Ancient Greeks.

* Broken Weird Dough Reference *
Try de Sade instead. Everyone else does, whether they know it or not.
Illegitimate aggression without informed consent does not impress those aligned for self ownership ( free roam , free association , progeny ) and for self determination ( private property , willful intents - contracts ) of individualism .

Einstein, Aristotle and Descartes are on an airplane. The flight attendant asks them if they would like something to drink. Einstein order a Coke and Aristotle orders a 7-Up. The flight attendant then asks Descartes if he would like something to drink.

Descartes replies "I think not" and promptly disappears.

This argument fails by circularity. If a fetus does not exist, there is no premise for an elective abortion to exist.

The phrase is: "I am, that I am." The goal is to finally shed conscious thought and gain the innate understanding of being.

All I can say is, I AM therefore I THINK. And I DRINK because I THINK. I think! And I don't drink much anymore because I'm diabetic now. I WOULD drink MUCH more, I think, if I didn't have to avoid the drink! OK, this IS a bit rinky-dink, but it's all I've got at the moment.............

" Ignorant Of Habitual Gluttony And Arrogance With Self Pardon "

* Trivialities Made Of Alternative Gawd Introspection *

When extinction of hue mammon is in jeopardy , it follows from theories for individualism that an element of self ownership includes progeny to satisfy a strong anthropic principle .

Sew , why would one be upset with protecting self ownership of creatures missed in fortune and divested of clad from gawd by the gluttony of hue mammon ?
In layman terms, please! I kid, I kid!

" Still Debating That Sentience Is A Standard Of Ethical Relevance "

* Words Can Be Tricky *

This argument fails by circularity. If a fetus does not exist, there is no premise for an elective abortion to exist.
The basis of the argument is that a fetus must have thoughts to have the quality of " I am " .

If there is not thoughts within a fetus , there is not an " I am " to be claimed as a defensible being upon which to prohibit abortion .

* Words Can Be Tricky *

The basis of the argument is that a fetus must have thoughts to have the quality of " I am " .

If there is not thoughts within a fetus , there is not an " I am " to be claimed as a defensible being upon which to prohibit abortion .
"I am" my only require and active life force though.

" Old Factory Camp Raiser "

* Facts Context Options For Empathy Ethics *

"I am" may only require and active life force though.
According to the " i am , therefore i think argument " a declaration of " i am " is an actual thought of self identification from cognitive introspection , and a " life force " is neither sufficient nor a substitute for an actual thought declaring " I am " .

A sophisticated physical state is required for sentience and it is premised that sentience is required for cognitive introspection and actual thought .

Of those studies available , an onset of thalamocortical radiations to facilitate sentience does not begin any earlier than the 23rd week post conception , that is approximately 25 weeks gestational age .

Thalamocortical radiations are the fibers between the thalamus and the cerebral cortex.[1]

Nerve fibers project out of the thalamus to the cerebral cortex in all directions, allowing hub-like exchanges of information. It has several functions, such as relaying of sensory signals, including motor signals to the cerebral cortex,..

Thalamocortical (TH-C) fiber growth begins during the embryonic period and is completed by the third trimester of gestation in humans. Here we determined the timing and trajectories of somatosensory TH-C fibers in the developing human brain. We analyzed the periods of TH-C fiber outgrowth, path-finding, “waiting” in the subplate (SP), target selection, and ingrowth in the cortical plate (CP) using histological sections from post-mortem fetal brain [from 7 to 34 postconceptional weeks (PCW)] that were processed with acetylcholinesterase (AChE) histochemistry and immunohistochemical methods.

The layered structure of the mature cerebral cortex is formed during development. The first pyramidal neurons generated migrate out of the ventricular zone and subventricular zone, together with reelin-producing Cajal–Retzius neurons, from the preplate. Next, a cohort of neurons migrating into the middle of the preplate divides this transient layer into the superficial marginal zone, which will become layer I of the mature neocortex, and the subplate,[49] forming a middle layer called the cortical plate. These cells will form the deep layers of the mature cortex, layers five and six. Later born neurons migrate radially into the cortical plate past the deep layer neurons, and become the upper layers (two to four). Thus, the layers of the cortex are created in an inside-out order.[50] The only exception to this inside-out sequence of neurogenesis occurs in the layer I of primates, in which, in contrast to rodents, neurogenesis continues throughout the entire period of corticogenesis.[51]

Gestational age is a measure of the age of a pregnancy which is taken from the beginning of the woman's last menstrual period (LMP), or the corresponding age of the gestation as estimated by a more accurate method if available. Such methods include adding 14 days to a known duration since fertilization (as is possible in in vitro fertilization), or by obstetric ultrasonography. The popularity of using such a definition of gestational age is that menstrual periods are essentially always noticed, while there is usually a lack of a convenient way to discern when fertilization occurred.

Last edited:
" Old Factory Camp Raiser "

* Facts Context Options For Empathy Ethics *

"I am" may only require and active life force though.
According to the " i am , therefore i think argument " a declaration of " i am " is an actual thought of self identification from cognitive introspection , and a " life force " is neither sufficient nor a substitute for an actual thought declaring " I am " .

A sophisticated physical state is required for sentience and it is premised that sentience is required for cognitive introspection and actual thought .

Of those studies available , an onset of thalamocortical radiations to facilitate sentience does not begin any earlier than the 23rd week post conception .

Thalamocortical radiations are the fibers between the thalamus and the cerebral cortex.[1]

Nerve fibers project out of the thalamus to the cerebral cortex in all directions, allowing hub-like exchanges of information. It has several functions, such as relaying of sensory signals, including motor signals to the cerebral cortex,..

Thalamocortical (TH-C) fiber growth begins during the embryonic period and is completed by the third trimester of gestation in humans. Here we determined the timing and trajectories of somatosensory TH-C fibers in the developing human brain. We analyzed the periods of TH-C fiber outgrowth, path-finding, “waiting” in the subplate (SP), target selection, and ingrowth in the cortical plate (CP) using histological sections from post-mortem fetal brain [from 7 to 34 postconceptional weeks (PCW)] that were processed with acetylcholinesterase (AChE) histochemistry and immunohistochemical methods.

The problem is trying to apply scientific observation to a philosophy. "I am therefore I think" is a philosophy, not a scientific fact. Also, who's to say a life force does not think?

Last edited:

* Words Can Be Tricky *

One must first define what constitutes viable thought. Is it language? Visual memory? Emotion? Something indefinable? A simple sense of self?

" Empiricism From Philosophy "

* Philosophy And Science Not Always Discontiguous *

The problem is trying to apply scientific observation to a philosophy. "I am therefore I think" is a philosophy, not a scientific fact.
Scientific observation can be applied in speculation on whether and when a physical capacity for sentience is possible .

As the cortex itself does not include sensory neurons , the onset of neural processing within it is dependent on thalamocortical connections , and electro encephalograms have been applied to determine when neural transmissions , otherwise considered thoughts , begin in the cortex .

The cerebral cortex is the largest site of neural integration in the central nervous system.[3] It plays a key role in attention, perception, awareness, thought, memory, language, and consciousness.

I did not mention sentience. We could just be talking about two different things. I don't believe that sentience is needed in order to realize 'I am.' I fear we are in the weeds here because there can be no definition of life until science can create it and run experiments on it. IOW, maybe life IS the realization of 'I am.'

" Time Before Biting Forbidden Fruit "

* Unrelated Word Substitution *

I did not mention sentience. We could just be talking about two different things. I don't believe that sentience is needed in order to realize 'I am.' I fear we are in the weeds here because there can be no definition of life until science can create it and run experiments on it. IOW, maybe life IS the realization of 'I am.'
This discussion is not about " life " .

There are discussions about when a wright to life begins according to the constitution and its requirement of birth for citizenship and equal protection .

Though speculative , this discussion is about suppositions for when actual thoughts of self realization begin and as a fetus would not have cognitive realization that it had a body until it were physically capable of feeling it , that is until it was sentient , a supposition that sentience is a requirement for self recognition is forwarded .

A substance with no cognition would not be capable of understanding the concept of "I" so therefore could never say" I am"

New Topics

Forum List

Back