An asteroid killed the dinosaur’s, Bennu will kill us all

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017

101955 Bennu
(provisional designation 1999 RQ36)[9] is a carbonaceous asteroid in the Apollo group discovered by the LINEAR Project on 11 September 1999. It is a potentially hazardous object that is listed on the Sentry Risk Table with the second-highest cumulative rating on the Palermo Technical Impact Hazard Scale.[10] It has a cumulative 1-in-2,700 chance of impacting Earth between 2175 and 2199.[11][12] It is named after the Bennu, the ancient Egyptian mythological bird associated with the Sun, creation, and rebirth.

101955 Bennu has a mean diameter of 490 m (1,610 ft; 0.30 mi)

Bennu is the target of the OSIRIS-REx mission which is intended to return its samples to Earth in 2023 for further study.[15][16][17] On 3 December 2018, the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft arrived at Bennu after a two-year journey.[18] It orbited the asteroid and mapped out Bennu's surface in detail, seeking potential sample collection sites. Analysis of the orbits allowed calculation of Bennu's mass and its distribution.[19]

On 20 October 2020 OSIRIS-REx successfully touched down, using an extendable arm, on the surface of Bennu to collect a sample.[21]
101955 Bennu - Wikipedia

Sentry is a highly automated impact prediction system operated by the JPL Center for NEO Studies (CNEOS) since 2002. It continually monitors the most current asteroid catalog for possibilities of future impact with Earth over the next 100+ years
Sentry (monitoring system) - Wikipedia

What do we doooo !!!
:)-

Last edited:
coyote2.jpg

101955 Bennu
(provisional designation 1999 RQ36)[9] is a carbonaceous asteroid in the Apollo group discovered by the LINEAR Project on 11 September 1999. It is a potentially hazardous object that is listed on the Sentry Risk Table with the second-highest cumulative rating on the Palermo Technical Impact Hazard Scale.[10] It has a cumulative 1-in-2,700 chance of impacting Earth between 2175 and 2199.[11][12] It is named after the Bennu, the ancient Egyptian mythological bird associated with the Sun, creation, and rebirth.

101955 Bennu has a mean diameter of 490 m (1,610 ft; 0.30 mi)

Bennu is the target of the OSIRIS-REx mission which is intended to return its samples to Earth in 2023 for further study.[15][16][17] On 3 December 2018, the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft arrived at Bennu after a two-year journey.[18] It orbited the asteroid and mapped out Bennu's surface in detail, seeking potential sample collection sites. Analysis of the orbits allowed calculation of Bennu's mass and its distribution.[19]

On 20 October 2020 OSIRIS-REx successfully touched down, using an extendable arm, on the surface of Bennu to collect a sample.[21]
101955 Bennu - Wikipedia

Sentry is a highly automated impact prediction system operated by the JPL Center for NEO Studies (CNEOS) since 2002. It continually monitors the most current asteroid catalog for possibilities of future impact with Earth over the next 100+ years
Sentry (monitoring system) - Wikipedia

What do we doooo !!!
So lets all give up our money to the carbon exchange so they can live like kings and the rest of US can live like slaves to them, just till this rock in space smashes into the world causing an Ice Age that will last 10s of thousands of years thus stopping all the bullshit heating that man is supposed to be doing to the planet. Yep, always 100 years.

For some reason Russia seems to be a magnet for galactic junk so I guess we are O.K. back here in the civilized world.

One of those hits or Yellowstone blows, that effectively ends the human caused climate change garbage within 24 hours.
The only reason I started this thread is to generate a conversation.

101955 Bennu is composed of very loosely packed rocks with a few the size of a two (2) story house. If it entered earth’s atmosphere it would break up into thousands of pieces and burn up before reaching the ground.

Again, I should not have started this forum.
I thought it would just be a jumping point into a broader conversation.

I am more concerned with Yellowstone popping its cork than I am about an asteroid hitting Earth... and I'm rarely concerned about that...

Yellowstone will give us weeks if not months advance warning of an eruption ... and it will start out slowly and perhaps remain a slow eruption ... one event did produce an amazing amount of ejecta, but over the course of 3 million years ... the amount in any given year was minimal ...

Also, it's the wrong kind of volcano ... it's more like the Hawaiian volcanoes that spew runny lava ... completely different from subduction zone volcanoes like St Helens and Pinatubo ... Mt Rainier is far more likely to cause a catastrophe than Yellowstone ... some evidence indicates the magma chambers under Yellowstone are currently empty, decades or centuries before they fill and push to the surface ... the climate will murder us all long before that happens ...

Forum List

Back