Among The Last Great Performances By Elvis Presley

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
–When Elvis hit the road in June 1977, he was an absolute mess.

He was only 42, but years of prescription drug abuse and horrifying dietary habits had left him bloated, depressed and near death.

He had an enlarged heart, an enlarged intestine, hypertension and incredibly painful bowel problems.

He was barely sleeping and should have probably been in the hospital, but he was still a huge draw on the concert circuit and the money was too good to turn down.

It had been over a year since Elvis last released a studio album, and his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, was determined to get more product into the stores.

Despite Elvis’s horrid shape, Parker arranged for a camera crew to film the June 19th show in Omaha for a planned TV special and live album.

It eventually did air on CBS two months after Elvis died, but has yet to resurface in any official capacity. Of course, this isn’t the image of Elvis that his estate wants the fans to remember.

Two days later ( 21 June), the cameras were still rolling when the tour hit Rapid City, South Dakota.

It was another weak and sad night until Elvis sat down at the piano near the end of the show to deliver what was a spell binding rendition of “Unchained Melody.”

As guitarist Charlie Hodge held a microphone, Elvis dug deep and poured his heart into the song. His body was falling apart, but his voice remained almost as powerful as ever.

Without any doubt, it’s the last great moment of his career.

The tour limped along through five more shows, wrapping up June 26th at the Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana. He died less than two months later.

Attached is that great performance.

His corset was so tight he could hardly breathe. He looked terrible. His makeup was just caked on.

It made me think of Whitney Houston the day she died. I was at the Beverly Hilton and saw her. It was so obvious that the woman was dying right in front of us. This video of Elvis gave me the same feeling.

His corset was so tight he could hardly breathe. He looked terrible. His makeup was just caked on.

It made me think of Whitney Houston the day she died. I was at the Beverly Hilton and saw her. It was so obvious that the woman was dying right in front of us. This video of Elvis gave me the same feeling.
Of course, they've been saying that about Keith Richards for like 50 years haven't they ?
keithR.gif

Forum List

Back