Amid racial injustice, Black Lives Matter movement gains momentum in Brazil

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On May 25, the death of George Floyd in the United States sent shockwaves internationally. That same week, in Rio de Janeiro, 14-year-old João Pedro was shot dead by police – with few repercussions. In Brazil, where 56 percent of the population is Black, compared to 13 percent in the US, racism is deeply rooted in society. Brazilian police, understood to be some of the most violent in the world, kill 17 times more Black people than American officers. Miles from Minneapolis, a Brazilian Black Lives Matter movement is gaining momentum. Our correspondents report.

Although the issue of race helped successive Brazilian governments win votes at the turn of the 21st century, the Black population in Brazil is now witnessing a setback. The country, which has the world's second-largest Black community, is now run by an openly racist president. During his presidential campaign in 2018, Jair Bolsonaro declared descendants of slaves "good for nothing, not even to procreate", while using the slogan "my colour is Brazil".

There is a video that's about 20 minutes long in the link. It was released on 12/31/20.

The only other news organization that has anything is here:

In November’s municipal elections, for the first time, Black and mixed-race politicians made up a majority of all candidates running for mayor and council seats across this country of 210 million people. That was up from 48% in the 2016 municipal elections. In the first round of voting more than 40% of Black or mixed-race candidates were elected, about 1,700 of them as mayors and close to 26,000 as council members, according to Brazil’s electoral court. Brazil’s most common racial mix is black and white; political candidates with black ancestry can identify themselves as either black or mixed-race.

The outcome in some corners of Brazil points to the newfound power: More than 50 people from quilombos, remote communities made up of the descendants of escaped slaves that have had little political representation, will settle into jobs as council members in towns outside these settlements. Large cities such as Rio de Janeiro and Curitiba, usually represented by whites, saw inroads by Black politicians into city councils.

I know. It's WaPo. That said, Blacks make up 56% of the population so I don't understand why it took so long to decide to run for office. No one was prevented.

Floyd died from a drug overdose.
The ultra violent Democrats did not wait 1 second for an investigation, a grand jury and trial before they started burning cities and murdering innocent people.
The SJW don't really want justice, they want to loot, destroy and murder.

On May 25, the death of George Floyd in the United States sent shockwaves internationally. That same week, in Rio de Janeiro, 14-year-old João Pedro was shot dead by police – with few repercussions. In Brazil, where 56 percent of the population is Black, compared to 13 percent in the US, racism is deeply rooted in society. Brazilian police, understood to be some of the most violent in the world, kill 17 times more Black people than American officers. Miles from Minneapolis, a Brazilian Black Lives Matter movement is gaining momentum. Our correspondents report.

Although the issue of race helped successive Brazilian governments win votes at the turn of the 21st century, the Black population in Brazil is now witnessing a setback. The country, which has the world's second-largest Black community, is now run by an openly racist president. During his presidential campaign in 2018, Jair Bolsonaro declared descendants of slaves "good for nothing, not even to procreate", while using the slogan "my colour is Brazil".

There is a video that's about 20 minutes long in the link. It was released on 12/31/20.

The only other news organization that has anything is here:

In November’s municipal elections, for the first time, Black and mixed-race politicians made up a majority of all candidates running for mayor and council seats across this country of 210 million people. That was up from 48% in the 2016 municipal elections. In the first round of voting more than 40% of Black or mixed-race candidates were elected, about 1,700 of them as mayors and close to 26,000 as council members, according to Brazil’s electoral court. Brazil’s most common racial mix is black and white; political candidates with black ancestry can identify themselves as either black or mixed-race.

The outcome in some corners of Brazil points to the newfound power: More than 50 people from quilombos, remote communities made up of the descendants of escaped slaves that have had little political representation, will settle into jobs as council members in towns outside these settlements. Large cities such as Rio de Janeiro and Curitiba, usually represented by whites, saw inroads by Black politicians into city councils.

I know. It's WaPo. That said, Blacks make up 56% of the population so I don't understand why it took so long to decide to run for office. No one was prevented.
Pardos or Bi-racials might be around 50%, but "Blacks" are likely less than 10%. It doesn't surprise me that American news journals don't understand this. They identify as Pardo not Black.

Triracial: West African, Native, and European is pardo.

Brazil's ethnic situation is a hot potato that I decided never to touch, but since another member has, I guess that I am allowed to very gingerly touch it, too.

I was interested in the stats: Only 10% identify as "black," while many identify as "mixed."

Is this going to happen in the United States during the next 50 years? That is to say, will there be a lot of people who have Caucasian, Latinx, & African blood in them?

Originally posted by TheParser
Is this going to happen in the United States during the next 50 years? That is to say, will there be a lot of people who have Caucasian, Latinx, & African blood in them?

Of course there will be an awful lot of mestizos in America, Parser... that's the whole purpose of genocide.

Of course there will be an awful lot of mestizos in America, Parser... that's the whole purpose of genocide.
Hi.

To be fair, many people would NOT call it "genocide."

They believe that the ethnic problem in this country can be solved if the majority of Americans some day have a mixture of many ethnicities.

Maybe they are right.

Forum List

Back