America's Teacher Shortage "Worse Than We Thought"

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
This new report by the Economic Policy Institute implies that low pay is the biggest contributor to the ongoing (and worsening) teacher shortage. But in my opinion, the comments on the article below tell the story. It's lack of respect and severe discipline problems that seem intractable.

We as a society must determine if the behavior problems in our schools ARE intractable or not. Right now, it's a non-story: the media chooses to chase after RUSSIA! and other squirrels. So classrooms go without teachers, teachers are leaving in droves, and young people are not going into education.

By the time everyone notices the problem, it will be beyond too late.

America's teacher shortage, driven by low pay, is 'worse than we thought'

This new report by the Economic Policy Institute implies that low pay is the biggest contributor to the ongoing (and worsening) teacher shortage. But in my opinion, the comments on the article below tell the story. It's lack of respect and severe discipline problems that seem intractable.

We as a society must determine if the behavior problems in our schools ARE intractable or not. Right now, it's a non-story: the media chooses to chase after RUSSIA! and other squirrels. So classrooms go without teachers, teachers are leaving in droves, and young people are not going into education.

Maybe if the public schools had a few less Anchor Babies, the stress on the teachers and the system wouldn't be as bad as the liberals thought? Send the diseased brats back to their home country along with their illegal family and soon most of the problems will correct themselves..

Maybe if the public schools had a few less Anchor Babies, the stress on the teachers and the system wouldn't be as bad as the liberals thought? Send the diseased brats back to their home country along with their illegal family and soon most of the problems will correct themselves..

No doubt, all the ESL and etc is a strain. But that's just a small part of the problems in schools.

Show me a profession under the control of outrageous gub'mit control, and i'll show you a shortage

~S~

Remote learning can certainly help with this problem. Having the children stay at home and get taught online is something that has been done to great effect by the U. of Phoenix and other institutions on the collegiate level. No reason why it can't be extended to lower levels of education.

Much greater use of modern communications technology would even out the supply of teachers as well. It wouldn't be necessary for a teacher to go out to Mud Lick, Kentucky to teach the kids out there.

Online learning would bring a virtual end to snow days, and eliminate massive expenses like brick and mortar schoolhouses, transportation for students, school lunches, etc.

Education would be better, morality would make a comeback and the teacher shortage would shrink if the education cartel would include principalled conservatives. Right now we have far more liberal conditioning than we have education. Progressives have engineered a system that produces non thinking, like minded nincompoops..

The system is drastically failing young males who are simply checked out and disinterested in the indoctrination. Behavior and concentration problems are addressed through medication. Lack of discipline and structure, the death of personal responsibility has led to a generation of entitled misfits who are incapable of dealing with criticism and real world situations.
And now there is a national movement to raise age limits on drinking, smoking, and other adult decisions we trusted to younger minds in the past.

The dramatic violence increase in public schools since the inception of the Dept. of Education is no coincidence.

Education would be better, morality would make a comeback and the teacher shortage would shrink if the education cartel would include principalled conservatives. Right now we have far more liberal conditioning than we have education. Progressives have engineered a system that produces non thinking, like minded nincompoops..

When I was in school, they didn't drug us kids if we acted up. They just used brutality to get us in line, and the idea WORKED.

Higher salaries for teachers doesn't mean better education at all. When I was a kid, my teachers were nuns in the lower grades and mostly religious brothers in high school. None of them were paid shit and made the decision to live in a community and devote their lives to educating the youths. The parochial students scored better on tests and were better behaved than our government school peers.

Remote learning can certainly help with this problem. Having the children stay at home and get taught online is something that has been done to great effect by the U. of Phoenix and other institutions on the collegiate level. No reason why it can't be extended to lower levels of education.

Much greater use of modern communications technology would even out the supply of teachers as well. It wouldn't be necessary for a teacher to go out to Mud Lick, Kentucky to teach the kids out there.

Online learning would bring a virtual end to snow days, and eliminate massive expenses like brick and mortar schoolhouses, transportation for students, school lunches, etc.

University of Phoenix? That diploma mill? Are you serious?

My daughter-in-law went to that on-line racket and got her BA in Criminal Justice paid for by the VA. No one would even call her for an interview in any law enforcement capacity. They told her that degree was not worth the paper it was printed on!

The VA will no longer recognize a degree from that criminal organization and classifies the school as "educational malpractice". Because she went there and expended her VA benefits, they are now going to reinstate her benefits so she can go to a real school!

I happen to have taught in rural KY and our biggest problem is that the kids in rural areas have zero internet access. Great idea! Let's put them ll online to teach them, but they cannot get online!

The system is drastically failing young males who are simply checked out and disinterested in the indoctrination. Behavior and concentration problems are addressed through medication. Lack of discipline and structure, the death of personal responsibility has led to a generation of entitled misfits who are incapable of dealing with criticism and real world situations.
And now there is a national movement to raise age limits on drinking, smoking, and other adult decisions we trusted to younger minds in the past.

The dramatic violence increase in public schools since the inception of the Dept. of Education is no coincidence.

First, there is no Department of Education. It is the Education Department.

Second, what the hell do they have to do with school discipline which is set by local school boards?

Lastly, the deterioration of the nuclear family is the primary cause for these problems and schools cannot fix that.

Totally clueless education wannabees are heard from again!

"Back to their home country"? When you say "anchor babies" you are , in your ignorance, referring to CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Their "home country" is the USA.

"Back to their home country"? When you say "anchor babies" you are , in your ignorance, referring to CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Their "home country" is the USA.
That is a bunch of fucking bullshit. The 14th amendment was enacted so the children of the slaves brought to the United States would be citizens. Tell me, who crossing the border illegal are slaves brought to the US?

That is a bunch of fucking bullshit. .......

I just checked with the Supreme Court, and they say you are a frightened little assclown.

A failing public school sector is good news for all of us who sent our kids to private schools.

All 4 of my kids went to public schools here and are doing exceptionally well. Keep up the great work!

The schools didn't create those problems.

We do not have more "liberal conditioning" than we have education. That is a conservative myth--I say this as one of those principled conservatives in the system.

You're believing what the media is selling. Shouldn't do that.

Forum List

Back