America's real plague-higher education.

You aren’t qualified to do anything if all you have is a high school diploma

You could start a business.
Not many high school grads have the skills or knowledge to do that.

How do you know?

The average college graduate earns $78,000 a year compared to the $45,000 earned by someone with only a high school education, according to the analysis. That's a 75% premium, or more than $30,000 a year.
I didnt realize Starbucks paid so much to their soda jerks

because it really depends on what kind of college degree you get

I haven't seen too many instances where the attitude of some teacher at school influences a student more than the values taught at home.
There are too posters on this form who are staunch defenders of the failed education system in this country and you are one of them.

I comment honestly and BASED ON REAL FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE about education. That is all. Some people cannot help but read any comment that is not 100% in accord with their views as 100% opposed to those views and indicative of a radically opposite orientation. That's just stupid.

I haven't seen too many instances where the attitude of some teacher at school influences a student more than the values taught at home.
There are too posters on this form who are staunch defenders of the failed education system in this country and you are one of them.

It is fair to say that blame must be shared all around

ost parents and teachers today were raised in the same liberal public schools that are finslly getting the negative attention they deserve

the days of saying public schools suck except for the one my kid goes to are coming to an end

pretty soon if you dont have an accent employers will be afraid to hire you for a high tech position
Well the truth is, most people are happy with the public schools they send their kids to. Only tiger moms want more. In America, most parents are satisfied with the shitty education they get from guys like Unkotare.

My brother and I went to a great public school. Still my brother sends his kids to private schools. No comparison. The private schools get their kids ready for college. Public schools only really help the kids who care. Because the parents are paying for private school, all the parents care. Public schools, the parents have no skin in the game. Maybe we should lower property taxes and make parents foot the bill for public school. Then they'd care.

And don't get me wrong. Not all kids are good students but we make all kids go to school. So I'm ok with letting slackers get by. Don't fail them. Pass them with D's and let them change my oil when they graduate. It's a good honest job and they will truly be paid what they are worth.

That's what a high school diploma gets you. The opportunity to work at Walmart, McD, a car wash or factory. All good jobs. Employers will pay them what they are worth. About half what us college grads make.

...Most parents and teachers today were raised in the same liberal public schools that are finslly getting the negative attention they deserve

Stop trying to lay all the blame for societal changes on one aspect of society alone. The problem is much bigger than you realize, but simpletons need to cling to simple 'answers.'

You aren’t qualified to do anything if all you have is a high school diploma

You could start a business.
Not many high school grads have the skills or knowledge to do that.

How do you know?

The average college graduate earns $78,000 a year compared to the $45,000 earned by someone with only a high school education, according to the analysis. That's a 75% premium, or more than $30,000 a year.
I didnt realize Starbucks paid so much to their soda jerks

because it really depends on what kind of college degree you get
They are baristas. LOL.

I disagree. I wanted to be a salesperson and I barely made it through to get my minor in Marketing. I'm not a good student but I'm a great salesperson. I needed a college degree so I could check that box on my resume. That college degree got me jobs I wouldn't have got without a college degree. Corporate gigs. One's where you make 6 figures.

Now there are always exceptions. I've worked with people who didn't have degrees but they are the exception not the norm. If they had a lot of sales experience maybe a company would give them a chance but usually they got the job because they knew someone. Otherwise the HR person wouldn't even call them in for an interview because they don't have a degree.

And as a person with a degree, I like it that they throw out resumes of people who don't have college degrees. It cost me $20,000 and 4 years to get that fucking degree.

I comment honestly and BASED ON REAL FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE about education. That is all. Some people cannot help but read any comment that is not 100% in accord with their views as 100% opposed to those views and indicative of a radically opposite orientation. That's just stupid.
It's like listening to a cop who says the police don't need to be reformed. You're a teacher. Of course you will fight change and insist your way is the best way. We all know we/you could do better.

Right wingers hate education because educated people do not vote for them.
Splendid observation, care to expand?
It is my hope your entire party stays away from higher education we would not want it rotting your brains. Lol. You should go to doctors that learn from utube also. Soon we would not have to deal with you very often due to the fact your stupidity will end up killing you. Good for our side of the equation.

Education, no matter what level is claimed, is merely a passing on of knowledge- if that knowledge is founded on a shifting sand then it will shift when confronted or at the least expected time- ALL knowledge evolves. A.L.L.
Only Truth is constant.

To the OT/OP it's not quite as cut and dried as your succinctness states- yes, it is government intervention which has led to education being a joke. But, those pushing that agenda had to be informed of that at some point in their education- simple English was used to write the constitution and nowhere is a Dept of Education even remotely mentioned- so, someone or many someones ignored it. It being the rules for gov't.

Passing on knowledge doesn't require a college degree. Period. It does require a desire and talent to properly pass on useful knowledge. The desire has to come from the teacher and the student. The teacher, being the alleged adult, is where the talent comes in to make the subject interesting-

One size does not fit all, therefore standardized tests are a joke- that said, of course there should be a test to see what the retention level is, but, giving answers to tests is not the best way to ensure retention-

There are many things wrong with the education "system", the most prominent being "system" - systems are only as good as the weakest link and will fail as ultimately they are designed by imperfection, i.e., humans- pretentious humans at that.

The problem(s) with Public Education are being recognized and the pendulum is swinging the other way- as it is with many things, but, yes, "education" is imperative- proper education, not funded opinion passed off as truth.

Even the military understands the value of higher education.

Try being an officer without a college degree.

For the first time in US history high school graduates and dropouts may have IQ’s that surpass those of college graduates. The theft of a major election in broad daylight has provided solid evidence that American education has done so much damage to the frontal cortexes of college students that the life expectancy of the world’s largest and freest democracy is declining. American colleges, once the realm of the best and brightest, have now become brain-damaging liberal arts indoctrination centers where four extra years of high school masquerade as higher education.

In the 1950’s only those with the greatest intelligence went to college, but as colleges proliferated in America it was quickly discovered that limiting college students to the best and brightest severely cut back on the financial base of educational institutions. This took place in tandem with federally guaranteed college lending that came about in the wake of the Sputnik scare in 1957 and colleges had to find some way to cash in on the bonanza. So, beginning in the 1960’s the Great Society got underway.

A myth was created and foisted on the American people that if seats in college classrooms were filled with minorities and females that had previously not been widely represented, people would become smarter and the world would improve due to Brainwashed wokeness proselytized into minds that were never college material to begin with. The resulting chaotic and disjointed state of affairs in the US and the emergence of a massive and mind-sapping welfare state are solid evidence that that experiment has failed miserably.

Then, in the 1980’s a great dumbing down took place at mostly liberal arts colleges to capitalize on growing factions of society that were convinced that a college credential made them more intelligent and likely to find success in the working world which has not panned out. Some smaller liberal arts colleges rolled back curriculums so that eighth-grade English was the norm in college classrooms.

The entire apparatus of higher education in America has become such a scam that any useful purpose in improving society has been lost. Instead, we find ourselves living in a bizarre world where police are defunded, white Americans are attacked as Holocaust bait, females are more miserable than ever, and opioid addictions are destroying young males from all racial and ethnic groups.

Grandparents must now raise grandchildren while higher education is booming. This is the real plague in America.

LOL.. What a load of crap.. Wharton undergrad was easy to get into in the 1960s.
Wharton admitted 40 percent of applicants in the 60s. Trump still needed his brother to pull strings

Yep.. That's true.. Trump couldn't pass an entrance exam much less the SAT.
Trump had to pay someone to take his SAT
He went to private schools and Ivy League schools and still can't spell and knows very little about US history.

His father sent him to military school because he was incorrigible
It didn't help.

New Topics

Forum List

Back