America's Poorest White Town

Are you?

Like you?

Not you. You're conditioned to put your check box next to the black minority democrat's name because you are so wise, educated and magnanimous. :smoke:
Wow, you really are my little shadow aren't you? :)
Nothing better to do than troll ancient threads? In the words of Jack Sparrow, "You need to get yourself a girl, mate!"

Here's the thing, Freaky. I've traveled all over the continental US. There are sections of the country that are so ingrained in political bile, they won't even remotely consider walking into the booth and pulling the lever for someone that doesn't have an "R" next to their name. Republicans and conservatives haven't done ANYTHING for these people in more than four decades, but still, they just can't vote for anyone else. So nothing ever changes for them. Now, Democrats are guilty of the same thing in taking their minority constituents for granted, but at least they try and address their issues. Republicans, just assume they won't vote for a "D".

I know this will piss you and everyone in Alt-Right Nation off, but Obama pretty much nailed this one.

Why don't you ever post those reports? Do you even have a degree Lisa? Denial studies huh? Very pedantic but par for the course.
Here are a couple that I found with a quick two minute search.
Less Poverty, Less Prison, More College: What Two Parents Mean For Black and White Children
There is a clear correlation to poor academic performance and likelihood of criminal activity and incarceration in one-parent homes than in two parent homes. The only racial correlation seems to point to an increased number (64% of black children and 52% of native American children as opposed to 24% of white and 15% of Asian/Pacific Islander children) are being raised in one parent homes. I am sure that there are other reasons as well, but white racism is very low on the list. I believe the continuous mantra presented by parents of these children that they are victims is more detrimental to them flourishing than anything else. When the excuses are laid bare and the children are encouraged to succeed in spite of obstacles, they perform better and these studies seem to agree.

Every one of your posts attacks whites.
There are four or five posters on this board that are clearly black racist bigots. Their bigotry defines them and it is made evident by the content of their posts. Conservatively, 98%, of their posts depict them as victims of racism when it is their own jaded, racist views and hatred of white people in general that seem to occupy their thoughts.

Incorrect. The history of this country shows that whites have an insurmountable lead. Whites have killed millions. If blacks killed the same number as they did in 2020, (8,600), it would take blacks over 1000 years with whites not killing anyone for blacks to catch up with the number of murders whites have committed in this country. And if you only count blacks killing whites(@500), it would take even longer to catch up to the number of blacks murdered by whites due to racism.

Your "evidence" is weak.

View attachment 684471

None of these numbers are nearly 8 times anything. And in a lot of these categories whites lead.
I have never said that blacks kill eight times as many people as whites. I have said and documented that blacks have a murder rate that is eight times the white rate.

Here are a couple that I found with a quick two minute search.
Less Poverty, Less Prison, More College: What Two Parents Mean For Black and White Children
There is a clear correlation to poor academic performance and likelihood of criminal activity and incarceration in one-parent homes than in two parent homes. The only racial correlation seems to point to an increased number (64% of black children and 52% of native American children as opposed to 24% of white and 15% of Asian/Pacific Islander children) are being raised in one parent homes. I am sure that there are other reasons as well, but white racism is very low on the list. I believe the continuous mantra presented by parents of these children that they are victims is more detrimental to them flourishing than anything else. When the excuses are laid bare and the children are encouraged to succeed in spite of obstacles, they perform better and these studies seem to agree.
equals black comunity

I REALLY do not understand how you all arrive at the erroneous conclusions you do.

Whites do not face White racism (because they are White and at the top of the social-economic-legislative totem pole) while Black people experience White racism.

If one group never experiences a particular event and the other group experiences an event on a fairly regular basis, the two groups are NOT equally situated. In other words, you can't just compare them side-by-side and say that the things that affect one affect both because that's not a factual statement or true.
I REALLY do not understand how you all arrive at the erroneous conclusions you do.

Whites do not face White racism (because they are White and at the top of the social-economic-legislative totem pole) while Black people experience White racism.

If one group never experiences a particular event and the other group experiences an event on a fairly regular basis, the two groups are NOT equally situated. In other words, you can't just compare them side-by-side and say that the things that affect one affect both because that's not a factual statement or true.
But those poor whites aren't at the top of any totem pole. They're just as poor because there are no good economic opportunities in their areas. They should move.

In fact, with affirmative action whites get passed over if there is a black who is available, capable and willing to do the job.

I admit, it would suck being a white in a majority black country.

While I have compassion for these people, far too many of you appear to not even know that there is any such thing as poor white people living in such dire conditions and relying wholely or mostly off of government assistance. Or that there are areas where all of the criminals are white
Definitely. Crime rate in Russia was low during Soviet times and grew to very high levels during economic hardship of the 1990s. We left in 1983.

There are four or five posters on this board that are clearly black racist bigots. Their bigotry defines them and it is made evident by the content of their posts. Conservatively, 98%, of their posts depict them as victims of racism when it is their own jaded, racist views and hatred of white people in general that seem to occupy their thoughts.

240 years of slavery and another century of apartheid, but the real problem is Black racism, lol. Okay.

240 years of slavery and another century of apartheid, but the real problem is Black racism, lol. Okay.
Were you alive during any of that 340 years. Nope, didn't think so. Genghis Khan abused humans during his reign, but you don't hear the ancestors of those abused whining and crying all of these years later. They quit being victims and moved on. If you don't recognize that black racism exists than you are part of the problem. If you want to do away with racism, quit practicing it.

Voting against their own interest is something white people in the "rust belt" and "bread basket" of this country have been doing for decades. They aren't conditioned to ask questions of who is actually responsible for the state that their lives are in. They are conditioned to dislike anyone that doesn't look like them or think like them. Then they walk into the voting both and put a check box next to the white Republican's name. Because that's what they are conditioned to do.
a thousand people move to Nashville every stinking day...its a colossal city that would take a day to drive across...used to b nothing but a place where country music fans could pull a great drunk

And many African Americans today remember Jim Crow Era. Of course White Racism exists now.

It was considerably worse then what my parents experienced as Jews in USSR.

How many of those posters were slaves?

None, but that doesn't mean they aren't living with the consequences of slavery and more importantly, the 100 years that followed slavery. If the U.S. had made a true effort to enforce the full meaning of equal protection under the law and to make the words of the Declaration a reality that applied to Black people, we probably wouldn't be having these kinds of conversations now.

A lot of people know that there are a lot of 'Black' cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, and Gary, Indiana. What they know less is the 'why' behind it. The why is that from 1900 - 1950, Blacks mass migrated out of the oppressive Jim Crow conditions of the South. But as I pointed out in another post, that didn't mean their problems ended there. There were anti-Black riots in these cities, often the result of tensions between White and Black laborers. And frankly, the White North wasn't all that much better than the White South. They just didn't lynch people for baseless allegations as often.

I get the points that have been made on this thread and others like these. It's true, regardless of whatever past injustices Black people might have been subjected to individually or collectively, nothing today forces a Black person to commit a crime, or to drop out of school, or to get pregnant before they're ready to be a mother. I get all that. And truth to tell, my worldview used to be a lot more like yours than it is now in this respect.

What I'd say, and what I eventually came to believe, is that despite the dysfunction that occurs within some Black communities, understanding what takes place in a community is complex and not always easy to understand. If you repeatedly segregate a community and then repeatedly subject that community for unique forms of abuse, that community is going to suffer, and in some ways, the suffering will appear to be self-inflicted, but in reality, it's really a reflection of the fact that it has been politically, economically, and socially isolated. It is no coincidence in my view that the demographics that struggle the most today are those that have been subjected to the worst abuses: African Americans and Native Americans.

None, but that doesn't mean they aren't living with the consequences of slavery and more importantly, the 100 years that followed slavery. If the U.S. had made a true effort to enforce the full meaning of equal protection under the law and to make the words of the Declaration a reality that applied to Black people, we probably wouldn't be having these kinds of conversations now.

A lot of people know that there are a lot of 'Black' cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, and Gary, Indiana. What they know less is the 'why' behind it. The why is that from 1900 - 1950, Blacks mass migrated out of the oppressive Jim Crow conditions of the South. But as I pointed out in another post, that didn't mean their problems ended there. There were anti-Black riots in these cities, often the result of tensions between White and Black laborers. And frankly, the White North wasn't all that much better than the White South. They just didn't lynch people for baseless allegations as often.

I get the points that have been made on this thread and others like these. It's true, regardless of whatever past injustices Black people might have been subjected to individually or collectively, nothing today forces a Black person to commit a crime, or to drop out of school, or to get pregnant before they're ready to be a mother. I get all that. And truth to tell, my worldview used to be a lot more like yours than it is now in this respect.

What I'd say, and what I eventually came to believe, is that despite the dysfunction that occurs within some Black communities, understanding what takes place in a community is complex and not always easy to understand. If you repeatedly segregate a community and then repeatedly subject that community for unique forms of abuse, that community is going to suffer, and in some ways, the suffering will appear to be self-inflicted, but in reality, it's really a reflection of the fact that it has been politically, economically, and socially isolated. It is no coincidence in my view that the demographics that struggle the most today are those that have been subjected to the worst abuses: African Americans and Native Americans.
Racism will always exist but not everything negative that happens to black people is race related, as some posters claim. If all black poverty was the result of racism, what caused white poverty? There are equal opportunities today for everyone to get a better education, job, etc. when I make comments about working hard to get what you want, this goes for EVERYONE. It is not the fault of anyone other than yourself if you drop out of school, fail to obtain skills for a decent job, have children you can’t afford.

How did this occur and why are all the racists on this site obsessing with so called "black culture" and the alleged failings of the black community when they have their own communities with the exact same failings that they're always wanting to attribute to only the black race.

You all had how many hundreds of years of a head start and you still haven't pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and accomplished great things for the human race, yet you constantly bitch and moan about any progress black people make, to the point that your go-to strategy is to burn everything down that surpasses your accomplishment.

While I have compassion for these people, far too many of you appear to not even know that there is any such thing as poor white people living in such dire conditions and relying wholely or mostly off of government assistance. Or that there are areas where all of the criminals are white (an extremely rare occurence according to Tipsycatlover).
White is Beautiful! 😍

Racism will always exist

Probably, though I believe it can be mitigated, which is the goal: significant mitigation more than eradication of racism. Indeed, relative to the 1960s, there's been significant mitigation of racism. There needs to be more, though.

but not everything negative that happens to black people is race related, as some posters claim.

The overwhelming majority of Black/Brown people would agree with that statement.

If all black poverty was the result of racism, what caused white poverty?

Many of the same conditions that caused Black poverty. A lack of quality education. A lack of economic opportunity. I suppose that poor whites were born into these conditions like poor Blacks were. But the restrictions that have been placed on Blacks were significantly greater. Over the course of American history it has been far easier for poorer whites to escape poverty than poor Blacks. That doesn't mean it's necessarily easy for poor whites, but relative to the obstacles that Blacks have faced, it's easier.

There are equal opportunities today for everyone to get a better education, job, etc.

Mmm, equal is such a tricky word. Technically speaking, under the law, yes I suppose so. But in reality, access to quality education, healthcare, government services isn't necessarily equal in fact. I suppose I could get into more specifics but I'm short on time at the moment.

when I make comments about working hard to get what you want, this goes for EVERYONE. It is not the fault of anyone other than yourself if you drop out of school, fail to obtain skills for a decent job, have children you can’t afford.

No disagreement there.

Short on time, but the thing I'd add to that is that, looking at this community-wide, since we're comparing communities whenever we have these conversations, I would only point out that the impact of racism on communities is often complex and not easy to understand. But the scale at which Blacks were denied economic opportunity and the degree of isolation they encountered persistently over the course of centuries has to be reckoned with. As I said, it's no coincidence that Black Americans and Native Americans have struggled the most.

Well said. A very thoughtful contribution. Thank you.

As I said, it's no coincidence that Black Americans and Native Americans have struggled the most.
So true. It's like roadblocks have been put in the way to delay the progress of certain people. Everyone wants to climb the ladder of success, but some do it with a backpack full of rocks on their backs.

Forum List

Back