Americas plain brown wrapper culture

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
Vices common to America and Europe are handled much differently in each culture. A friend of mine visited the college town of Durham in the UK last summer, when some 15 and 16-year-old boys were caught with beer, the local police confiscated the beer, and told the boys not to do it again or their parents would be notified. Public nudity, though officially illegal in most of Europe is rarely enforced, and it's not unusual to see people sunbathing nude on the beaches in summer. In America the same behavior regarding alcohol and nudity would merit a few weeks to a year or more in jail.

I think Americas legal authorities sincerely mean well in passing and enforcing their laws but wonder if creating such strict taboos simply feeds into a "plain brown wrapper" culture, that makes problems worse and not better.

Thoughts?

America's a big place, and what u described may be true some places but in other places isn't. My take is that the diversity is good.

Vices common to America and Europe are handled much differently in each culture. A friend of mine visited the college town of Durham in the UK last summer, when some 15 and 16-year-old boys were caught with beer, the local police confiscated the beer, and told the boys not to do it again or their parents would be notified. Public nudity, though officially illegal in most of Europe is rarely enforced, and it's not unusual to see people sunbathing nude on the beaches in summer. In America the same behavior regarding alcohol and nudity would merit a few weeks to a year or more in jail.

I think Americas legal authorities sincerely mean well in passing and enforcing their laws but wonder if creating such strict taboos simply feeds into a "plain brown wrapper" culture, that makes problems worse and not better.

Thoughts?

1. I'm surprised 15 and 16 yo cannot drink in Ireland.

2. Our drinking age is ridiculous and makes young people's stance toward alcohol ridiculous. There is NO REASON it should not be 19. If you can join the military, vote, buy a house, etc--you should be able to have a beer.

3. That said: no thanks to public nudity. Just no.

Thoughts?

Why are you so threatened by a culture that is based on moral values?

Please be honest.

Thoughts?
man-with-a-paper-bag-on-head-a-smile-draw-on-it-DHERKM.jpg

it's a daily affair for many.......~S~

Answering a question with a question does not work bill718, but it's all we really expected of you, so we're not disappointed. An honest answer will always be beyond the capability of leftist vermin. Keep your standards low.

Your well written and thought provoking posts are always so entertaining.

Answering a question with a question does not work bill718, but it's all we really expected of you, so we're not disappointed. An honest answer will always be beyond the capability of leftist vermin. Keep your standards low.

Thank You.

Thank You.

So, not only are you unable to answer a good faith question honestly -- you can't think of anything original to say.

You're a good example of your cult.

But thanks for sharing your opinion -- or my opinion -- with all of us.

Forum List

Back