Thomas Jefferson was proudest of his authorship of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. Jefferson himself was not a Christian but a Deist, a very common belief system at the time of the founding of this country and among our founding fathers.

In his later life Jefferson created his own bible, the Jefferson Bible, that preserves all the moral teachings of Jesus of Nazareth depicted in the gospels - but removes every reference to Jesus as divine.

Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom:

An Act for establishing religious Freedom.

Whereas, Almighty God hath created the mind free;

That all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and therefore are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, who being Lord, both of body and mind yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as was in his Almighty power to do,

That the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as ecclesiastical, who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired men have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavouring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world and through all time;

That to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions, which he disbelieves is sinful and tyrannical;

That even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness, and is withdrawing from the Ministry those temporary rewards, which, proceeding from an approbation of their personal conduct are an additional incitement to earnest and unremitting labours for the instruction of mankind;

That our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions any more than our opinions in physics or geometry,

That therefore the proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence, by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages, to which, in common with his fellow citizens, he has a natural right,

That it tends only to corrupt the principles of that very Religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments those who will externally profess and conform to it;

That though indeed, these are criminal who do not withstand such temptation, yet neither are those innocent who lay the bait in their way;

That to suffer the civil magistrate to intrude his powers into the field of opinion and to restrain the profession or propagation of principles on supposition of their ill tendency is a dangerous fallacy which at once destroys all religious liberty because he being of course judge of that tendency will make his opinions the rule of judgment and approve or condemn the sentiments of others only as they shall square with or differ from his own;

That it is time enough for the rightful purposes of civil government, for its officers to interfere when principles break out into overt acts against peace and good order;

And finally, that Truth is great, and will prevail if left to herself, that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them:

Be it enacted by General Assembly that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities. And though we well know that this Assembly elected by the people for the ordinary purposes of Legislation only, have no power to restrain the acts of succeeding Assemblies constituted with powers equal to our own, and that therefore to declare this act irrevocable would be of no effect in law; yet we are free to declare, and do declare that the rights hereby asserted, are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right.[6]

Last edited:
Since you have paintings of the Capital Rotunda...this is the centerpiece: capitol rotunda painting - Google Search:

That's not Jesus or your god up there.
I'm going to have to say that George Washington rising to the heavens is much closer to my worldview than it is yours.

Apotheosis of Washington
Does Georgie boy have wooden teeth in heaven?
Who said he was in heaven?
Is he sitting next to Adolf in the basement with the really hot furnace?

Since you have paintings of the Capital Rotunda...this is the centerpiece: capitol rotunda painting - Google Search:

I'm going to have to say that George Washington rising to the heavens is much closer to my worldview than it is yours.

Apotheosis of Washington
No. Adolf is sitting next to Hitchens.

Apotheosis of Washington
And they're surrounded by popes.

Apotheosis of Washington
Yes, gay popes and lesbian nuns.

If America really had a Christian heritage, government would be much smaller and the world a lot more peaceful.

America's Christian Heritage is indisputable. The second best-selling book in the American colonies was the New England Primer. Five million copies existed in America in 1776. At that time, there were only four million people in America. Many of its selections were drawn from the King James Bible. The New England Prime was the foundation of schooling that all children studied from at the time of our Founding.

Harvard's Rules and Precepts of 1636 tells us that all knowledge rests on the foundation of God and Jesus Christ. Harvard's original motto was Truth for Christ and the Church.

Princeton's founding statement of 1746 was Cursed is all Learning that is contrary to the Cross of Christ.

Coumbia university's seal of 1755 has the hebrew Tetragrammaton, YHVW (Jehovah) within a radiant triangle. The school's motto "In Lumine Tuo Videbimus Lumen" means "In thy light we shall see light" Psalms 36:9, arcs across the top.

In 1832 Gouverneur Morris said, “Religion is the only solid basis of good morals; therefore education should teach the precepts of religion, and the duties of man towards God.”

In 1790 Samuel Adams said, ""Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age, by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, of inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity...in short of leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.“

In 1798 Benjamin Rush said, "In contemplating the political institutions of the United States, I lament that we waste so much time and money in punishing crimes, and take so little pains to prevent them. We profess to be republicans and yet we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of
government. That is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by the means of the Bible.”

In 1836 Noah Webster said, “In my view, the Christian Religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government, ought to be instructed...no truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian Religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”

In 1835 Alexis de Tocqueville wrote in his book, Democracy in America, "Upon my arrival in the United States the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention; and the longer I stayed there, the more I perceived the great political consequences resulting from this new state of things. In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom marching in opposite directions. But in America I found they were intimately united and that they reigned in common over the same country. Religion in America...must be regarded as the foremost of the political institutions of that country; for if it does not impart a taste for freedom, it facilitates the use of it. Indeed, it is in this same point of view that the inhabitants of the United States themselves look upon religious belief. I do not know whether all Americans have a sincere faith in their religion -- for who can search the human heart? But I am certain that they hold it to be indispensable to the maintenance of republican institutions. This opinion is not peculiar to a class of citizens or a party, but it belongs to the whole nation and to every rank of society. In the United States, the sovereign authority is religious...there is no country in the world where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than in America, and there can be no greater proof of its utility and of its conformity to human nature than that its influence is powerfully felt over the most enlightened and free nation of the earth. In the United States, the influence of religion is not confined to the manners, but it extends to the intelligence of the people...

Christianity, therefore, reigns without obstacle, by universal consent...

I sought for the key to the greatness and genius of America in her harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great. The safeguard of morality is religion, and morality is the best security of law as well as the surest pledge of freedom. The Americans combine the notions of Christianity and of liberty so intimately in their minds, that it is impossible to make them conceive the one without the other Christianity is the companion of liberty in all its conflicts -- the cradle of its infancy, and the divine source of its claims."

The New England primer : a reprint of the earliest known edition ; with many facsimiles and reproductions; and an historical introduction : Ford, Paul Leicester, 1865-1902 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The New England Primer - Wikipedia

NewEnglandPrimerAtoM.jpg

NewEnglandPrimerNtoZ.jpg

View attachment 116662
View attachment 116664
View attachment 116665
View attachment 116666
Columbia_University_Seal.jpg

View attachment 116670
View attachment 116671
View attachment 116672
View attachment 116673

Democracy in America - Wikipedia

One Nation Under God: Alexis de Tocqueville

Where as words prove little-- action proves it all

100,000,000 dead Indians-- enslaved black people for profit,etc, burned women for the usage of herbs to heal= called them witches=100% not christian

First of all, words prove that something is important enough to someone to at least attempt to give the appearance of it.

Second of all, the fact that people make mistakes and fall short of their ideals is irrelevant to the topic.

America's Christian Heritage is indisputable. The second best-selling book in the American colonies was the New England Primer. Five million copies existed in America in 1776. At that time, there were only four million people in America. Many of its selections were drawn from the King James Bible. The New England Prime was the foundation of schooling that all children studied from at the time of our Founding.

Harvard's Rules and Precepts of 1636 tells us that all knowledge rests on the foundation of God and Jesus Christ. Harvard's original motto was Truth for Christ and the Church.

Princeton's founding statement of 1746 was Cursed is all Learning that is contrary to the Cross of Christ.

Coumbia university's seal of 1755 has the hebrew Tetragrammaton, YHVW (Jehovah) within a radiant triangle. The school's motto "In Lumine Tuo Videbimus Lumen" means "In thy light we shall see light" Psalms 36:9, arcs across the top.

In 1832 Gouverneur Morris said, “Religion is the only solid basis of good morals; therefore education should teach the precepts of religion, and the duties of man towards God.”

In 1790 Samuel Adams said, ""Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age, by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, of inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity...in short of leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.“

In 1798 Benjamin Rush said, "In contemplating the political institutions of the United States, I lament that we waste so much time and money in punishing crimes, and take so little pains to prevent them. We profess to be republicans and yet we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of
government. That is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by the means of the Bible.”

In 1836 Noah Webster said, “In my view, the Christian Religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government, ought to be instructed...no truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian Religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”

In 1835 Alexis de Tocqueville wrote in his book, Democracy in America, "Upon my arrival in the United States the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention; and the longer I stayed there, the more I perceived the great political consequences resulting from this new state of things. In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom marching in opposite directions. But in America I found they were intimately united and that they reigned in common over the same country. Religion in America...must be regarded as the foremost of the political institutions of that country; for if it does not impart a taste for freedom, it facilitates the use of it. Indeed, it is in this same point of view that the inhabitants of the United States themselves look upon religious belief. I do not know whether all Americans have a sincere faith in their religion -- for who can search the human heart? But I am certain that they hold it to be indispensable to the maintenance of republican institutions. This opinion is not peculiar to a class of citizens or a party, but it belongs to the whole nation and to every rank of society. In the United States, the sovereign authority is religious...there is no country in the world where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than in America, and there can be no greater proof of its utility and of its conformity to human nature than that its influence is powerfully felt over the most enlightened and free nation of the earth. In the United States, the influence of religion is not confined to the manners, but it extends to the intelligence of the people...

Christianity, therefore, reigns without obstacle, by universal consent...

I sought for the key to the greatness and genius of America in her harbors...; in her fertile fields and boundless forests; in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning. I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great. The safeguard of morality is religion, and morality is the best security of law as well as the surest pledge of freedom. The Americans combine the notions of Christianity and of liberty so intimately in their minds, that it is impossible to make them conceive the one without the other Christianity is the companion of liberty in all its conflicts -- the cradle of its infancy, and the divine source of its claims."

The New England primer : a reprint of the earliest known edition ; with many facsimiles and reproductions; and an historical introduction : Ford, Paul Leicester, 1865-1902 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The New England Primer - Wikipedia

NewEnglandPrimerAtoM.jpg

NewEnglandPrimerNtoZ.jpg

View attachment 116662
View attachment 116664
View attachment 116665
View attachment 116666
Columbia_University_Seal.jpg

View attachment 116670
View attachment 116671
View attachment 116672
View attachment 116673

Democracy in America - Wikipedia

One Nation Under God: Alexis de Tocqueville

Where as words prove little-- action proves it all

100,000,000 dead Indians-- enslaved black people for profit,etc, burned women for the usage of herbs to heal= called them witches=100% not christian
Not Christian, quite right. Some of America's history is not Christian.

But as to its Christian heritage, the history speaks for itself.

No trinity religion is Christian. There is no trinity god in existence. It was created at the councils of Catholicism--No Israelite EVER was taught,served or worshipped a trinity while serving the true living God=YHWH(Jehovah)--ever. Including-- Jesus, Peter, Paul, etc

Are you aware that this makes no sense whatsoever?

So the pedophile priests get a pass from you again? :eek:
No, they are in prison. The other 4500 or so were homosexuals like yourself. Do they get a pass from you?

If America really had a Christian heritage, government would be much smaller and the world a lot more peaceful.
what you mean is if America were influenced by the 1st century religion and not 4th century christianity the country and world would have been a lot more peaceful than recorded history has proved.

No, they are in prison. The other 4500 or so were homosexuals like yourself. Do they get a pass from you?
Nothing wrong with homosexuals, nature is full of them.

Yes, they are part of nature. So what? Do the 4500 priests who "fooled around" with young adults get a pass from you? You should look at the data from the John Jay report. I have.

Yes, they are part of nature. So what? Do the 4500 priests who "fooled around" with young adults get a pass from you? You should look at the data from the John Jay report. I have.
You should look at the data from the John Jay report. I have.

A Brief History of Celibacy in the Catholic Church | FutureChurch

First Century
Peter, the first pope, and the apostles that Jesus chose were, for the most part, married men. The New Testament implies that women presided at eucharistic meals in the early church.

Second and Third Century
Age of Gnosticism: light and spirit are good, darkness and material things are evil. A person cannot be married and be perfect. However, most priests were married.

Fourth Century
306-Council of Elvira, Spain, decree #43: a priest who sleeps with his wife the night before Mass will lose his job.
325-Council of Nicea: decreed that after ordination a priest could not marry. Proclaimed the Nicene Creed.
352-Council of Laodicea: women are not to be ordained. This suggests that before this time there was ordination of women.
385-Pope Siricius left his wife in order to become pope. Decreed that priests may no longer sleep with their wives.

Fifth Century
401-St. Augustine wrote, Nothing is so powerful in drawing the spirit of a man downwards as the caresses of a woman.

Sixth Century
567-2nd Council of Tours: any cleric found in bed with his wife would be excommunicated for a year and reduced to the lay state.
580-Pope Pelagius II: his policy was not to bother married priests as long as they did not hand over church property to wives or children.
590-604-Pope Gregory the Great said that all sexual desire is sinful in itself (meaning that sexual desire is intrinsically evil?).

Seventh Century
France: documents show that the majority of priest were married.

Eighth Century
St. Boniface reported to the pope that in Germany almost no bishop or priest was celibate.

Ninth Century
836-Council of Aix-la-Chapelle openly admitted that abortions and infanticide took place in convents and monasteries to cover up activities of uncelibate clerics.
St. Ulrich, a holy bishop, argued from scripture and common sense that the only way to purify the church from the worst excesses of celibacy was to permit priests to marry.

Eleventh Century
1045-

Benedict IX dispensed himself from celibacy and resigned in order to marry.
1074-Pope Gregory VII said anyone to be ordained must first pledge celibacy: priests [must] first escape from the clutches of their wives.
1095-Pope Urban II had priests wives sold into slavery, children were abandoned.

some highlites:

Fourth Century
306-Council of Elvira, Spain, decree #43: a priest who sleeps with his wife the night before Mass will lose his job.
325-Council of Nicea: decreed that after ordination a priest could not marry. Proclaimed the Nicene Creed.
352-Council of Laodicea: women are not to be ordained. This suggests that before this time there was ordination of women.
385-Pope Siricius left his wife in order to become pope. Decreed that priests may no longer sleep with their wives.

Fifth Century
401-St. Augustine wrote, Nothing is so powerful in drawing the spirit of a man downwards as the caresses of a woman.

Sixth Century
567-2nd Council of Tours: any cleric found in bed with his wife would be excommunicated for a year and reduced to the lay state.
580-Pope Pelagius II: his policy was not to bother married priests as long as they did not hand over church property to wives or children.
590-604-Pope Gregory the Great said that all sexual desire is sinful in itself (meaning that sexual desire is intrinsically evil?).

401-
St. Augustine wrote, Nothing is so powerful in drawing the spirit of a man downwards as the caresses of a woman.

590-604-Pope Gregory the Great said that all sexual desire is sinful in itself

836-Council of Aix-la-Chapelle openly admitted that abortions and infanticide took place in convents and monasteries to cover up activities of uncelibate clerics.

1074-Pope Gregory VII said anyone to be ordained must first pledge celibacy: priests [must] first escape from the clutches of their wives.

1095-Pope Urban II had priests wives sold into slavery, children were abandoned.

1545-63-
Council of Trent states that celibacy and virginity are superior to marriage.

1930-Pope Pius XI: sex can be good and holy.

1980-Married Anglican/Episcopal pastors are ordained as catholic priests in the U.S.; also in Canada and England in 1994.

John Jay report:

In summary, the report states that clergy sexual abuse of minors in the American Catholic Church is a historical problem with the vast majority of cases occurring from the mid 1960's to the mid 1980's.

you're a joke bing,

try going back to the early 4th century where it began, nearly your most favorite period, slightly before 396 AD ...

Last edited:
Pedophiles don't get a pass from me, but they do get a pass from the Catholic church.
Got a link to the report?

Pedophiles don't get a pass from me, but they do get a pass from the Catholic church.
Got a link to the report?
But homosexual priests who break their vow do, right?

Yes, I have a link to the "John Jay Report."

Forum List

Back