Americans are giving Chinese-made products the cold shoulder...40% will not buy from China

Too long overdue. Communism must be crushed...
WHY?

Because it is a fundamentally evil system. It enslaved its populations, stifles society, & is thoroughly discredited as a viable economic tool. Two of the biggest mass murderers in history (Mao & Stalin) were unrepentant communists.
How many people have the United States liberated ?

Fixed it for you...
Tsk Tsk.
Editing quotes. You may selectively quote, provided that it does not change the context or meaning of the quote.

WHY?

Because it is a fundamentally evil system. It enslaved its populations, stifles society, & is thoroughly discredited as a viable economic tool. Two of the biggest mass murderers in history (Mao & Stalin) were unrepentant communists.
How many people have the United States murdered?
This tired trope is no less moronic than the last thousand times it has been used. That you cannot see the difference in the US and China in human rights is willful ignorance.

WHY?

This tired trope is no less moronic than the last thousand times it has been used. That you cannot see the difference in the US and China in human rights is willful ignorance.
That makes 2 people who can't answer a simple question.
Carry on, gents!

I recently took possession of a wonderful new 20" bicycle, a birthday gift for my Grand-daughter. It cost $325 from REI. Made in China. It is well-designed, well-made, complete in every way, including some extra spare parts and a small tool kit.

Had it been made in the U.S. the cost would have been at least double, and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Wait till it breaks in half and the seat goes up your ass. China steel sucks.

WHY?

That makes 2 people who can't answer a simple question.
Carry on, gents!
WHY?

willful ignorance & stupidity...

The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.
What is your pedigree Tom?

Are from Canada or the UK?

Or Australia?

I recently took possession of a wonderful new 20" bicycle, a birthday gift for my Grand-daughter. It cost $325 from REI. Made in China. It is well-designed, well-made, complete in every way, including some extra spare parts and a small tool kit.

Had it been made in the U.S. the cost would have been at least double, and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

This was one of millions of analogous transactions in which Americans buy goods made in China that are dramatically cheaper than they would otherwise have been. The trend before this sea-change was for American stuff to be of really bad quality, and not always complete or correct, which is why the shift to China was so smooth.

These cheaper goods have enriched our lives and left billions in American pockets that wouldn't have been there had Chinese goods not been available.

The accusations of Chinese misconduct in the Corona Virus thing may make some people feel good, but NOBODY in this country saw this coming (other than medical professional doom-sayers), and I have no doubt that the CHinese also had no idea how bad it would get, or exactly how it would get there. To presume that they planned this is neurotic bullshit.

Buy American if you like. I will do likewise, but at least initially we will be paying more than we should for stuff that is lower quality than we are getting now.

People are ignorant. You can depend on it.
Someday china will own America thanks in part to cheap bicycles like your granddaughter is riding

yes you save a few bucks now, but in time she will be a slave of the dictators in china

The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.
“What is your pedigree Tom?
Are from Canada or the UK?”
Or Australia?
What is your pedigree Tom? Are from Canada or the UK? Or Australia?

U.S. born and raised by U.S.-born parents and at least two U.S. born grandparents. Before that I’m not so sure. I consider myself an American internationalist. The real Thomas Paine of course was born in England, and at one time tried for treason there.

Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

It’s not quite a new Cold War yet. Just the cold shoulder.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.
Even for a protectionist like myself its impossible to shun chinese stuff entirely

but if we have a consistent policy of encouraging disengagement from china in time it will benefit America

“What is your pedigree Tom?
Are from Canada or the UK?”
Or Australia?
What is your pedigree Tom? Are from Canada or the UK? Or Australia?

U.S. born and raised by U.S.-born parents and at least two U.S. born grandparents. Before that I’m not so sure. I consider myself an American internationalist. The real Thomas Paine of course was born in England, and at one time tried for treason there.
Ok

the reason I asked was based on your remarks which seem to be somewhat anti American

which I disagree with but accept as your right as long as you are an American

we get a lot of anti American foreigners on this forum whose opinions I do not respect

Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.
Thiers a lot of chatter higher up about China plus 1
Multinationals to the little guys are about to really shake up the supply chains......if civilisations survive or own incompetent betters..

They're still interested in making money off the better off chinese population ...but dependency will be broken.

It may not go well for China in the long run

And they're lashing out like all leftist children do
Dog eating chi coms they threatened Australia again

The CIO. of CalPERS is an accused chinese agent who admits his first love is china

thanks in part to him CalPERS is heavily invested in china

WHY?

Not as many as the soviet union and CCP have

and because America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles we care about human beings and correct our mistakes

something knee-jerk lefty America haters will never understand

WHY?

because America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles we care about human beings and correct our mistakes
What exactly are Judeo-Christian principles?
What human beings do you care about?
How have you corrected your mistakes?

WHY?

because America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles we care about human beings and correct our mistakes

Judeo-Christian principles such as respect for individuals and human rights

All humans. God loves everyone

America ended slavery

I've purchased products in the past that had no labeling on the package, and only after you open it find out where it's made.
Me too

Several years ago I paid extra for a Craftsman drill press instead of one from Harbor Freight only to find out it was made in china also

and as expected it was a piece of junk

WHY?

Judeo-Christian principles such as respect for individuals and human rights
As long as those humans are white heterosexual males, yes.

All humans. God loves everyone
What about undocumented humans?
What about humans who don't share your political point of view?
What about humans who lived on this land before you got here?

have you corrected your mistakes?

America ended slavery
They ended what they started.
Race relations still not right.

Basically you only care about your own kind.

That's bad news for the people at PF Chang's.

Forum List

Back