America was not founded on....

Public displays can be removed, yes. God? No. By the way, when the President elect is sworn into office and chooses to lay his hand on a Bible to take the oath, why don't the godless heathen throw a fit?

Because the President chooses what he uses for his oath. Teddy Roosevelt did not take his oath on the Bible. Neither did John Quincey Adams or Franklin Pierce. Roosevelt, Adams and Pierce all placed their hand on a law book.
I know that, but you didn't answer my question. Since you believe public displays of God should not be allowed by the State, why don't the godless hordes throw a fit when a President elect or anyone for that matter chooses to take the oath of office with their hand on a Bible?
I certainly did answer the question. They don't throw a fit because it is a personal choice by the President elect.
So personal choice is allowed for religious displays. So why are some judges forcing people to remove religious displays? This is so confusing, huh,
So you wouldn't mind a mooslim woman showing up to court in a burka?
Why would he?

More insane hatred from the left.

yes, a vicious pack of truths.

the founders were largely deists and they didn't want the religious zealots running things.
They were Christians and believed in the God of the Bible.

not in the least. I thought you're supposed to be a BS filter....

there is a reason the first amendment separates church and state and prohibits a religious test for office and prohibits a dominant religion.

. “If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.”
~Founding Father George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate

Where in what Washington states did he imply freedom from religion? By their actions, it is clear that they meant freedom of religion.

A huge difference.

Mark
Yep, and by general government, he is referring to the federal government would not interfere with any state government's religion. Half of the states had state religions when the constitution was ratified.

First Amendment: An Overview

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. It prohibits any laws that establish a national religion, impede the free exercise of religion, abridge the freedom of speech, infringe upon the freedom of the press, interfere with the right to peaceably assemble, or prohibit citizens from petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted into the Bill of Rights in 1791. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

Freedom of Religion

Two clauses in the First Amendment guarantee freedom of religion. The Establishment Clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another. It enforces the "separation of church and state." However, some governmental activity related to religion has been declared constitutional by the Supreme Court. For example, providing bus transportation for parochial school students and the enforcement of "blue laws" is not prohibited. The Free Exercise Clause prohibits the government, in most instances, from interfering with a person's practice of their religion.

First Amendment
And they were wrong to do so. The framers of the 14th Amendment rejected the Blaine Amendment in the Senate. The Blaine Amendment was an attempt to apply the establishment clause to the states.

So the framers of the 14th never intended for it to be applied to the 1st Amendment.

It's not the first time SCOTUS has been wrong and violated the constitution.

the founders were largely deists and they didn't want the religious zealots running things.

there is a reason the first amendment separates church and state and prohibits a religious test for office and prohibits a dominant religion.

. “If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.”
~Founding Father George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

The establishment clause of the 1st Amendment was written to prevent the federal government from establishing a national religion and interfering with the state established religions which were perfectly legal. Half of the states had a state religion at the time the Constitution was ratified. So you are wrong.

When Washington said that, he was talking about the federal government.

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. It prohibits any laws that establish a national religion, impede the free exercise of religion, abridge the freedom of speech, infringe upon the freedom of the press, interfere with the right to peaceably assemble, or prohibit citizens from petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted into the Bill of Rights in 1791. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

Freedom of Religion

Two clauses in the First Amendment guarantee freedom of religion. The Establishment Clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another. It enforces the "separation of church and state." However, some governmental activity related to religion has been declared constitutional by the Supreme Court. For example, providing bus transportation for parochial school students and the enforcement of "blue laws" is not prohibited. The Free Exercise Clause prohibits the government, in most instances, from interfering with a person's practice of their religion.

First Amendment
The establishment clause of the first amendment only applied to the federal government.

Madison tried to get the establishment clause to apply to the states but was defeated in the Senate.

Look it up.

Well then the 2nd amendment only applies to the federal government. Its absurb to think the US was found on Christianity, as it was founded on trade and also to get away from the Church of England.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment
The establishment clause of the first amendment only applied to the federal government.

Madison tried to get the establishment clause to apply to the states but was defeated in the Senate.

Look it up.

Well then the 2nd amendment only applies to the federal government. Its absurb to think the US was found on Christianity, as it was founded on trade and also to get away from the Church of England.
No one is claiming the United States was founded on Christianity. We are saying that the founders were mostly Christians that believed that the Bible is the Word of God.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

No one is claiming the United States was founded on Christianity. We are saying that the founders were mostly Christians that believed that the Bible is the Word of God.

Just because someone is baptized as an infant that does not make them Christian, most were, but many were Deist and Unitarian, and I'm glad you agree that the US was not founded on Christianity.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

Just because someone is baptized as an infant that does not make them Christian, most were, but many were Deist and Unitarian, and I'm glad you agree that the US was not founded on Christianity.
I don’t care if you call them holy roller Episcopalian reptiles. They were men that believed that the Bible is the Word of God.

The establishment clause of the 1st Amendment was written to prevent the federal government from establishing a national religion and interfering with the state established religions which were perfectly legal. Half of the states had a state religion at the time the Constitution was ratified. So you are wrong.

That would be false. It was to keep the fundies from imposing a theocracy on the country. And it was to allow me to follow my beliefs without you enacting yours into law

And our court decisions support my view. Not your theocratic one.

That would be false. It was to keep the fundies from imposing a theocracy on the country. And it was to allow me to follow my beliefs without you enacting yours into law

No. It is historical record.

Understanding the First Amendment’s Religion Clauses

That is not true and is pure leftist propaganda. If George Washington was alive today he'd be considered a right wing religious fanatic and he certainly did not try to impose a theocracy. Your post is pure rubbish. All the conservative Christians want is Liberty. We're not the ones destroying your lives and businesses because of your beliefs.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

No. States are obligated to honor all amendments. They ratified them and the process to amend, repeal and create new amendments.

The distinction here is that the establishment clause was written to protect the states from the federal government. If you want the states to uphold the establishment clause, then states need to tell the federal government to stop interfering with religion in their states.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

I am saying that America was founded on Christian principles.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

No. States are obligated to honor all amendments. They ratified them and the process to amend, repeal and create new amendments.

The distinction here is that the establishment clause was written to protect the states from the federal government. If you want the states to uphold the establishment clause, then states need to tell the federal government to stop interfering with religion in their states.

It enforces the "separation of church and state."

So yes I guess I have to agree. The state gov. need to quit interfering in our rights as citizens, and the gov does as well.

That is why we locked a doc up for performing two FGM (as its called) but allow sucking circumcision to go on in the next town.

Last edited:

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

I am saying that America was founded on Christian principles.

Really , I guess so because Paul tells one how to be a good slave. Also our first Potus inherited his estate, money and slaves. It was mainly about money, a new frontier, money, and some fleeing the Church of England, the Puritans who turned out not to be so pure.

Because the President chooses what he uses for his oath. Teddy Roosevelt did not take his oath on the Bible. Neither did John Quincey Adams or Franklin Pierce. Roosevelt, Adams and Pierce all placed their hand on a law book.
I know that, but you didn't answer my question. Since you believe public displays of God should not be allowed by the State, why don't the godless hordes throw a fit when a President elect or anyone for that matter chooses to take the oath of office with their hand on a Bible?
I certainly did answer the question. They don't throw a fit because it is a personal choice by the President elect.
So personal choice is allowed for religious displays. So why are some judges forcing people to remove religious displays? This is so confusing, huh,
Why would he?
Testifying with a covered face and only the eyes visible? You'd let that?

Why would he?
Testifying with a covered face and only the eyes visible? You'd let that?
Is there some rule against it?

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

So yes I guess I have to agree. The state gov. need to quit interfering in our rights as citizens, and the gov does as well.

That is why we locked a doc up for performing two FGM (as its called) but allow sucking circumcision to go on in the next town.
No. It enforces the national government from interfering with religion.

States are free to establish state religion.

Freedom of Religion

First Amendment

Look it up.

No the states are not. Name one state that has?

Look it up.

No the states are not. Name one state that has?
No state currently has an established religion, Penelope. But if they did it would not violate the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment.

Forum List

Back