Amazon Series: The Boys

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
It will be difficult not to write any spoilers about this show, but I will do my best.

But first, a joke:

A man is in a bar at the top of a skyscraper in Chicago. A guy at the other end of the bar sidles over to him and says, "Did you know Chicago is called The Windy City for a reason? Why, the buildings on this block form a perfect wind tunnel, and you can jump out the window over there and you will be blown right back in!"

"Get the hell out of here", the man says. "I didn't just fall off a turnip truck."

"Oh yeah? I'll prove it to you", the guys says, and he staggers over to the window and without a word he pitches forward, and falls out of the window out of sight.

"HOLY SHIT!", the man says, convinced he has just witnessed a suicide.

But then a there is a big whistling sound of wind and suddenly the guy blows back in the window.

"No fricking way!", the man says.

The guy says, "Come over here and watch me do it again."

The man walks to the window and watches as the guy stumbles out the window. The man peers down and actually sees the guy falling, but then he slows, there is a big whistling sound of wind, and the guy slowly blows right back up into the bar.

The man is astonished, and at the urging of the other guy, he screws up his courage and jumps out the window.

"AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!" SPLAT! The man is dead on the sidewalk far below.

The bartender leans over to the guy and says, "Jesus, Superman, you sure are a mean drunk."

And that is the basic premise of The Boys. America, and only America, is blessed with countless superheroes, knowns as "Supes". For some reason revealed farther along, no other country has any supers.

At the top of the Superhero heap are "The Seven". And the Seven are managed by a company called Vought. Managed in the same way all celebrities are.

But it turns out The Seven are not quite the wholesome, god-fearing, selfless images they project to their adoring public. They have a mean streak.

And that is where The Boys come in. A ragtag collection of misfit men who are out to take The Seven down.

How do mere mortals take on superheroes with paranormal powers? Well, that's what's so fun about this show, isn't it.

I like this show, although the blood and guts peg the gore meter. If you don't have a strong stomach, you will not like this show.

Not kidding. This is a gory show.

And there is a lot of nudity, but it is all male nudity. For the ladies, I guess. Because girls don't ordinarily watch superhero movies or shows. So I guess that's why all the full frontal male nudity in this one.

Each superhero is a counterpart to ones with whom you are familiar.

Numero Uno is Homelander. He's the Superman.

There is The Deep. He's the Aquaman.

There is Queen Maeve. She's the Wonder Woman.

There is Black Noir. He's the Black Panther. Black Noir is a play on words, since Noir means black.

There is A-Train. He's the Flash.

Then there is Translucent. I'm not sure who he is counterparting. His superpower is invisibility and impenetrable diamond skin.

The seventh member of The Seven (whose name escapes me) has retired, and so Vought Corporation has a talent search to replace him. And that is how we meet Starlight. She can throw fireballs with her eyes or something. It's not entirely clear.

It will be difficult not to write any spoilers about this show, but I will do my best.

But first, a joke:

A man is in a bar at the top of a skyscraper in Chicago. A guy at the other end of the bar sidles over to him and says, "Did you know Chicago is called The Windy City for a reason? Why, the buildings on this block form a perfect wind tunnel, and you can jump out the window over there and you will be blown right back in!"

"Get the hell out of here", the man says. "I didn't just fall off a turnip truck."

"Oh yeah? I'll prove it to you", the guys says, and he staggers over to the window and without a word he pitches forward, and falls out of the window out of sight.

But then a there is a big whistling sound of wind and suddenly the guy blows back in the window.

The man walks to the window and watches as the guy stumbles out the window. The man peers down and actually sees the guy falling, but then he slows, there is a big whistling sound of wind, and the guy slowly blows right back up into the bar.

The man is astonished, and at the urging of the other guy, he screws up his courage and jumps out the window.

The bartender leans over to the guy and says, "Jesus, Superman, you sure are a mean drunk."

And that is the basic premise of The Boys. America, and only America, is blessed with countless superheroes, knowns as "Supes". For some reason revealed farther along, no other country has any supers.

At the top of the Superhero heap are "The Seven". And the Seven are managed by a company called Vought. Managed in the same way all celebrities are.

But it turns out The Seven are not quite the wholesome, god-fearing, selfless images they project to their adoring public. They have a mean streak.

And that is where The Boys come in. A ragtag collection of misfit men who are out to take The Seven down.

How do mere mortals take on superheroes with paranormal powers? Well, that's what's so fun about this show, isn't it.

I like this show, although the blood and guts peg the gore meter. If you don't have a strong stomach, you will not like this show.

And there is a lot of nudity, but it is all male nudity. For the ladies, I guess. Because girls don't ordinarily watch superhero movies or shows. So I guess that's why all the full frontal male nudity in this one.
in the comics there are other "supes" in other countries.....

But first, a joke:

in the comics there are other "supes" in other countries.....
It seems central to the plot of the TV show that there are only supes in the US. The fable is that the supes were handpicked by God and God favors America.

Oh, and there's a gay superhero.

But he's a huge bible-thumping homophobe in public. Of course. :19:

Yes......this is a left wing fantasy super hero show......

So I've now seen the first five episodes of Season 2 and the show has not diminished.

In this season, we learn Homelander has a serious milk fetish.

I don't know if it means anything that one of The Boys is named Mother's Milk.

Season 1 was pretty good...except one episode where on the nose politics slipped in.

I stopped watching season 2 two weeks ago. The liberal bias took the show off the rails.

I've been watching it and I enjoy it but they are getting woke as fuck....... super woke, in fact.

I am going to start season 2 when i finish with the travelers.
The Boys is a great show!

Season 1 was pretty good...except one episode where on the nose politics slipped in.

I stopped watching season 2 two weeks ago. The liberal bias took the show off the rails.
Same here. It took a sharp left turn, didn't it.

But first, a joke:

I'm waiting for Season 2 , I liked Season 1.

New Topics

Forum List

Back