Amazon Bites The Big One

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
Just got off the phone reaming Amazon. If you go to the Amazon site, they won't give out their customer service number, but it is: 866-216-1072. I encourage you to call it often.

What was my beef?

Last November I bought some thick nylon rope. It arrived in obviously used condition, unpackaged from its spool and bands, looking used and damaged, then jumbled together into a loose ball, wrapped in plastic and a sticker put on the bag and resold to me as new. I tried to return it for exchange of a different brand instead not wanting to chance the same rope again but the Amazon site wouldn't let me. So I tried calling Amazon, got some gook on the phone who couldn't speak English, refused to transfer me to someone else then hung up on me. I needed the rope bad so finally relented and just kept it.

Then I bought a music CD from someone I used to know that I had looked for a long time. Weeks later I got a message from the seller that the CD had been returned to them damaged and they had no replacement. So I was lucky enough to find another copy off another company for more money. Amazon stuck this rare CD in a big, empty box with a quart of tile adhesive and no packaging whatsoever. When I got it, the quart adhesive was freely rolling around in the box totally loose. It had rolled over and bounced and hit the CD so many times in transit, that the back of the case was all cracked to hell and back and the seller informed me it was pristine when they gave it to Amazon. Fortunately, the CD itself was ok. But I paid for a CD in very good condition and got one hammered to hell and back.

Finally, I ordered a green laser pointer that was supposed to come with a USB cord for recharging. It was shown green and stated green at least ten times in the ad. What I got from Amazon was a RED laser pointer with no cord. Instead, the USB plug is part of the laser plugged directly into the port--- just what I DIDN'T want and I already have a red laser anyway. So I looked at returning it, but now Amazon wanted to charge me $7.99 for the return for an $8.47 laser. Ah, hell, it was only $8.00 and it was much brighter and more convenient than my old red laser anyway. So I bought a bigger, more powerful green laser elsewhere.

So I finally got around to calling Amazon today and told them off for all this stuff. First the guy took notes and said he would report it all. Pressed farther, he finally agreed to return the CD which I told him I didn't want to do as I had no guarantee of finding another copy much less what I would pay for it! A bird in the hand, you know. Then he offered to forgo the shipping charge to return the laser but I've grown to like the thing and really don't feel like boxing it up and having to look for the UPS driver all day long just over $8.00. So I finally pressed him farther.

After another (third) long conference with his supervisor (apparently he lacks the authority to make decisions), he FINALLY came back (we are like 30-40 minutes into the call now) he agrees to credit me $10 towards future items bought and shipped from Amazon.

So, Amazon is really starting to suck. I mean more than usual. I've had it. This is ridiculous. The $10 is nice but I'm like into this now for about $50 in aggravation, plus the added $20 it finally cost me to get the green laser I really wanted, so, I didn't tell this to Amazon, but I'm telling you, and now where Amazon used to be my goto place to shop for stuff first, it is now my LAST place I will go to, and will shop and buy everything I need elsewhere, only buying from Amazon as a last resort now when I can't get it anywhere else, even if I pay more money.

Being sold a little red laser after ordering a totally different green one then being expected to pay the cost of the item to return it not even being accountable for their own screw ups hoping I'd just bite and cave to it was the last straw. I mean, who wants to buy from a company who doesn't want to hear from you, make your experience a good one, that you can't even trust to get it to you intact or even what you ordered then won't even stand behind their mistakes without chasing around the moons of Nibia after them?

This is going to cost Amazon at least a grand a year and I encourage others to do the same--- it's a big world out there; find someone other than Amazon to give your money to.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone reaming Amazon. If you go to the Amazon site, they won't give out their customer service number, but it is: 866-216-1072. I encourage you to call it often.

What was my beef?

Last November I bought some thick nylon rope. It arrived in obviously used condition, unpackaged from its spool and bands, looking used and damaged, then jumbled together into a loose ball, wrapped in plastic and a sticker put on the bag and resold to me as new. I tried to return it for exchange of a different brand instead not wanting to chance the same rope again but the Amazon site wouldn't let me. So I tried calling Amazon, got some gook on the phone who couldn't speak English, refused to transfer me to someone else then hung up on me. I needed the rope bad so finally relented and just kept it.

Then I bought a music CD from someone I used to know that I had looked for a long time. Weeks later I got a message from the seller that the CD had been returned to them damaged and they had no replacement. So I was lucky enough to find another copy off another company for more money. Amazon stuck this rare CD in a big, empty box with a quart of tile adhesive and no packaging whatsoever. When I got it, the quart adhesive was freely rolling around in the box totally loose. It had rolled over and bounced and hit the CD so many times in transit, that the back of the case was all cracked to hell and back and the seller informed me it was pristine when they gave it to Amazon. Fortunately, the CD itself was ok. But I paid for a CD in very good condition and got one hammered to hell and back.

Finally, I ordered a green laser pointer that was supposed to come with a USB cord for recharging. It was shown green and stated green at least ten times in the ad. What I got from Amazon was a RED laser pointer with no cord. Instead, the USB plug is part of the laser plugged directly into the port--- just what I DIDN'T want and I already have a red laser anyway. So I looked at returning it, but now Amazon wanted to charge me $7.99 for the return for an $8.47 laser. ☹️ Ah, hell, it was only $8.00 and it was much brighter and more convenient than my old red laser anyway. So I bought a bigger, more powerful green laser elsewhere.

So I finally got around to calling Amazon today and told them off for all this stuff. First the guy took notes and said he would report it all. Pressed farther, he finally agreed to return the CD which I told him I didn't want to do as I had no guarantee of finding another copy much less what I would pay for it! A bird in the hand, you know. Then he offered to forgo the shipping charge to return the laser but I've grown to like the thing and really don't feel like boxing it up and having to look for the UPS driver all day long just over $8.00. So I finally pressed him farther.

After another (third) long conference with his supervisor (apparently he lacks the authority to make decisions), he FINALLY came back (we are like 30-40 minutes into the call now) he agrees to credit me $10 towards future items bought and shipped from Amazon.

So, Amazon is really starting to suck. I mean more than usual. I've had it. This is ridiculous. The $10 is nice but I'm like into this now for about $50 in aggravation, plus the added $20 it finally cost me to get the green laser I really wanted, so, I didn't tell this to Amazon, but I'm telling you, and now where Amazon used to be my goto place to shop for stuff first, it is now my LAST place I will go to, and will shop and buy everything I need elsewhere, only buying from Amazon as a last resort now when I can't get it anywhere else, even if I pay more money.

Being sold a little red laser after ordering a totally different green one then being expected to pay the cost of the item to return it not even being accountable for their own screw ups hoping I'd just bite and cave to it was the last straw. I mean, who wants to buy from a company who doesn't want to hear from you, make your experience a good one, that you can't even trust to get it to you intact or even what you ordered then won't even stand behind their mistakes without chasing around the moons of Nibia after them?

This is going to cost Amazon at least a grand a year and I encourage others to do the same--- it's a big world out there; find someone other than Amazon to give your money to.
That's unfortunate - and odd.
I've only had a few issues with my orders and Amazon has always taken care of me.

That's unfortunate - and odd.
I've only had a few issues with my orders and Amazon has always taken care of me.

Things don't seem to be what they used to be. I once bought a USB hub that didn't do what I wanted it to (it didn't really electrically isolate the other drives even when switched "off") and they told me to just keep it.

Too bad I can't use it. I'm with Manofthestreet, enough of giving Bezos money. Shop at your own risk now.

I had a Fresh order a day ago and the frozen items never arrived. All I had to do was go to that order, click on Item Refund, then click on the items I had not received, click again and my funds were refunded shortly after.

I am about to rake Amazon over the coals as well. Wet cat food was a problem getting at a grocery store, it was always empty. So, I subscribe for deliveries every two weeks from Amazon. The price was right, I am a prime member so the shipping was free, and things went well for about a year. Every other Wednesday two cases of Friskies Meaty Bites were on my doorstep. That changed a couple of months ago.

Instead of being delivered by Amazon it started coming from the USPS. They don't travel down this dirt road, my mailbox is a mile away, and the catfood won't fit in the mailbox. So, I get a slip and have to pick it up at the local post office, which is seven miles away, I pass three grocery stores and three Dollar General stores on the way, WTF. I was due a delivery last Wednesday but got a notification that it would be late. Tell that to my cats you dipshits. So, I wait, mistake. Evidently the order was picked up by the carrier on Friday but still no slip in the mailbox. Then, to add insult to injury I get an email from FedEx, supposedly, I don't trust it. They want me to schedule my delivery and pay $1.95. Looks like a scam to me, and Amazon said it was shipped USPS. If it is not a scam it don't matter. I ain't paying for delivery. I mean what happened? Amazon tosses it off to the USPS and the USPS tosses it off to FedEx? Screw them all.

I have canceled the subscription, I will stock up with PetSmart if I have to buy a damn truckload at a time. Amazon has degraded, that much is easy to see.

I am about to rake Amazon over the coals as well. Wet cat food was a problem getting at a grocery store, it was always empty. So, I subscribe for deliveries every two weeks from Amazon. The price was right, I am a prime member so the shipping was free, and things went well for about a year. Every other Wednesday two cases of Friskies Meaty Bites were on my doorstep. That changed a couple of months ago.

Instead of being delivered by Amazon it started coming from the USPS. They don't travel down this dirt road, my mailbox is a mile away, and the catfood won't fit in the mailbox. So, I get a slip and have to pick it up at the local post office, which is seven miles away, I pass three grocery stores and three Dollar General stores on the way, WTF. I was due a delivery last Wednesday but got a notification that it would be late. Tell that to my cats you dipshits. So, I wait, mistake. Evidently the order was picked up by the carrier on Friday but still no slip in the mailbox. Then, to add insult to injury I get an email from FedEx, supposedly, I don't trust it. They want me to schedule my delivery and pay $1.95. Looks like a scam to me, and Amazon said it was shipped USPS. If it is not a scam it don't matter. I ain't paying for delivery. I mean what happened? Amazon tosses it off to the USPS and the USPS tosses it off to FedEx? Screw them all.

I have canceled the subscription, I will stock up with PetSmart if I have to buy a damn truckload at a time. Amazon has degraded, that much is easy to see.
thats the problem with rural carriers in the PO they are independent contractors and dont have to do what regular carriers are supposed to do.....

What was my beef?

Finally, I ordered a green laser pointer that was supposed to come with a USB cord for recharging. It was shown green and stated green at least ten times in the ad. What I got from Amazon was a RED laser pointer with no cord. Instead, the USB plug is part of the laser plugged directly into the port--- just what I DIDN'T want and I already have a red laser anyway. So I looked at returning it, but now Amazon wanted to charge me $7.99 for the return for an $8.47 laser. Ah, hell, it was only $8.00 and it was much brighter and more convenient than my old red laser anyway. So I bought a bigger, more powerful green laser elsewhere.

Why do you blame Amazon for your ignorance? They literally take virtually everything back. I spent a grand on a CPU that I wanted to return because it turned out it wasn't new, it was refurbished. Turned out it was my mistake because going back to the ad, it said it was refurbished, but I didn't notice that. All I had to do was put it back in the box and drop it off at a UPS store. They shiooed it back at no cost to me and Amazon credited my credit card with 100% of the charge; no questions asked.

In fairness, I might be a little biased as my wife works for Amazon.

those of us in rural areas depend on amazon...why go to town and look for it when i can find it on amazon.....they no longer do two day shipping which sucks....i have never had any problem getting a refund...they refunded for the dinosaur suit that just fell apart..of course as another poster noted...it may depend on the amount of money you spend...i am a sucker for the 5% cash back

With the current condition of our supply chain it's not really surprising delivery has become an issue in some cases.
I ordered $600 bucks worth of WAGYU steaks and the delivery guy said he couldnt get through the gates to deliver it which is complete bullshit.
Thank God the steaks were replaced by the supplier or I would have been out $600 bucks.
This was done by the US post office.

I had a Fresh order a day ago and the frozen items never arrived. All I had to do was go to that order, click on Item Refund, then click on the items I had not received, click again and my funds were refunded shortly after.

That's great. So Amazon didn't sell you used items as new. didn't send you wrong items then want $8.00 to take them back, nor ship delicate irreplaceable items breaking them because they shipped them with heavy big things unprotected requiring more than a click button on the refund page but needing ACTUAL HUMAN CONTACT and PERSONAL SERVICE AND ATTENTION.

In 2021, I bought a big heavy recliner and a few days before they were supposed to deliver it inside my house (their choice of date) the shipper called to say they don't even work that day! They cancelled the delivery then when I ordered another chair, they tried to leave it in a crate sitting in my driveway!

Don't worry, keep shopping with them and sooner or later you will and you'll find out.

I am about to rake Amazon over the coals as well. That changed a couple of months ago. Amazon has degraded, that much is easy to see.

That is my only point. I've shopped Amazon for ages but they recently let a lot of people go. Something bad has happened there and Amazon is not the company it used to be and they are really cutting corners now trying to pinch every penny--- and it will be at the customer's expense. Sooner or later you WILL get burned. Three times in four months was all I needed to wake up.

Don't buy off Amazon unless it says ships and sold by Amazon.

If it doesn't then it's just coming off the market place and shipped by any random person off the internet.

Don't buy off Amazon unless it says ships and sold by Amazon.
When it says that, Amazon makes more money. The CD Amazon smashed was given to them by the vendor in good condition and ruined by Amazon.

If it doesn't then it's just coming off the market place and shipped by any random person off the internet.
Where small business gets a bigger piece of Jeff Bezos' pie.

Forum List

Back