Am I a fiscal conservative? A social liberal? Both? Neither? I'm here to find out.

Preius

Rookie
Oct 6, 2011
Southern California
It is really difficult to label ones politics these days. I am not Tea Party - anything with the label 'bigot' associated with it turns me off. I like Tea Party ideas on measured spending, but want to protect Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. Leave the big three entitlements alone.

I think the Republican position on illegal immigration is reasonable considering our 9.1% unemployment. I think the Alabama Immigration Act is courageous, while others bicker and take no stand. Taking that stand with Alabama as a white person has made me the recipient of the word 'bigot' from idealistic liberals and Mexican nationals! My liberalism extends ONLY to AMERICAN CITIZENS. I believe we should support our fellow CITIZENS temporarily with a welfare safety net, but it is not designed to be a life long way to support one's self. I also support the death penalty in some cases.

I may be OWS (Occupy Wall Street), but someone told me recently I am really a 'conservative Democrat,' (the term makes no sense to me). I think it is very possible that OWS and the Tea Party could come together. So, you will find me to be a guy who is direct and consistent in my views, who does not follow party lines, likes to think for himself, is overall center left, but still does not know how to label himself politically. I guess I believe in free enterprise coupled with a system of social support. Neither has to be as it is currently. I am flexible, open to new ideas.

While I am a member of the Democratic National Committee, I was out at my Jeep in the middle of the night, during the debt ceiling talks, removing the Obama 2012 sticker the DNC sent me. The last time the DNC asked for money for Obama, I sent back a note, "I do not donate to Republicans." Go figure.

Anyone who does not fit neatly into a party chair suffers attacks from all sides. That said, I am ready to be attacked from all sides. That is how I learn.

One must never stop learning and rethinking. :gives: :rofl:

Last edited:
It is really difficult to label ones politics these days. I am not Tea Party - anything with the label 'bigot' associated with it turns me off. I like Tea Party ideas on measured spending, but want to protect Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. Leave the big three entitlements alone.

I think the Republican position on illegal immigration is reasonable considering our 9.1% unemployment. I think the Alabama Immigration Act is courageous, while others bicker and take no stand. Taking that stand with Alabama as a white person has made me the recipient of the word 'bigot' from idealistic liberals and Mexican nationals! My liberalism extends ONLY to AMERICAN CITIZENS. I believe we should support our fellow CITIZENS temporarily with a welfare safety net, but it is not designed to be a life long way to support one's self. I also support the death penalty in some cases.

I may be OWS (Occupy Wall Street), but someone told me recently I am really a 'conservative Democrat,' (the term makes no sense to me). I think it is very possible that OWS and the Tea Party could come together. So, you will find me to be a guy who is direct and consistent in my views, who does not follow party lines, likes to think for himself, is overall center left, but still does not know how to label himself politically. I guess I believe in free enterprise coupled with a system of social support. Neither has to be as it is currently. I am flexible, open to new ideas.

While I am a member of the Democratic National Committee, I was out at my Jeep in the middle of the night, during the debt ceiling talks, removing the Obama 2012 sticker the DNC sent me. The last time the DNC asked for money for Obama, I sent back a note, "I do not donate to Republicans." Go figure.

Anyone who does not fit neatly into a party chair suffers attacks from all sides. That said, I am ready to be attacked from all sides. That is how I learn.

Welcome.............

Have you ever taken one of those political leaning tests? Many out there, take a few.

• Banned

Welcome.............

Have you ever taken one of those political leaning tests? Many out there, take a few.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, I need a recommendation for a test. This was the closest thing I could find, and it looks biased as hell. Here is part of it. It was funny even though it seems skewed to the right.

4A) If you spend three years as a community organizer growing your organization from a staff of one to thirteen and your budget from $70,000 to $400,000, then become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new African American voters, spend twelve years as a Constitutional Law professor, then spend nearly eight more years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, becoming chairman of the state Senate’s Health and Human Services committee, then spend nearly four years in the United States Senate representing a state of nearly thirteen million people, sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran’s Affairs committees, you are woefully inexperienced.
4B) If you spend four years on the city council and six years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, then spend twenty months as the governor of a state with 650,000 people, then you’ve got the most executive experience of anyone on either ticket, are the Commander in Chief of the Alaska military, and are well qualified to lead the nation should you be called upon to do so because your state is the closest state to Russia.

5A) If you are a Democratic male candidate who is popular with millions of people, you are an “arrogant celebrity.”
5B) If you are a popular Republican female candidate, you are “energizing the base.”

6A) If you are a younger male candidate who thinks for himself and makes his own decisions, you are “presumptuous.”
6B) If you are an older male candidate who makes last minute decisions you refuse to explain, you are a “shoot from the hip” maverick.

7A) If you are a candidate with a Harvard law degree you are “an elitist—out of touch” with the real America.
7B) If you are a legacy (dad and granddad were admirals) graduate of Annapolis, with multiple disciplinary infractions, you are a hero.

8A) If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you are described as a faithful Christian.
8B) If you have been married to the same woman with whom you’ve been wed to for nineteen years and raising two daughters with, you’re considered “risky.”

9A) If you kill an endangered species, you’re an excellent hunter.
9B) If you have an abortion, you’re a murderer (regardless whether it happened while being raped).

10A) If you teach abstinence-only in sex education, you get teen parents.
10B) If you teach responsible, age-appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

Last edited:
  • Banned
You could be like people where I live.

Fiscal liberals and social conservatives.

I was leaning that way too, until I saw these definitions from Wiki.

Social liberalism is the belief that liberalism should include social justice. It differs from classical liberalism in that it believes the legitimate role of the state includes addressing economic and social issues such as unemployment, health care, and education while simultaneously expanding civil rights. Under social liberalism, the good of the community is viewed as harmonious with the freedom of the individual.[1] Social liberal policies have been widely adopted in much of the capitalist world, particularly following World War II.[2] Social liberal ideas and parties tend to be considered centrist or centre-left.

Fiscal conservatism is a political term used to describe a fiscal policy that advocates avoiding deficit spending. Fiscal conservatives often consider reduction of overall government spending and national debt as well as ensuring balanced budget of paramount importance. Free trade, deregulation of the economy, lower taxes, and other conservative policies are also often but not necessarily affiliated with fiscal conservatism.

One day I watched actor Ashton Kutcher interrviewed. Kutcher is the new guy on TV's 2.5 Men. Kutcher claimed to be a social liberal and fiscal conservative. The two definitions have some apparent areas of contradiction, and actor Kutcher was shredded by the panel for the inconsistencies. But, maybe that is the point. No two Tea Party members see things the same way why should two 'social liberal and fiscal conservatives?' You may have something here.

The idea of political labels is not good, but how often has a friend said before introducing you something like, "She is ok for a moderate Republican without direction?" I had a Democrat caution me once, "That guy is not enough 'New Deal' for me." Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
^ Wikki and Ashton Kutcher?

:lol:

• Banned

I am wide open to find any free encyclopedia besides Wiki. As far as I know it is all we got.

Interesting you point to Ashton Kutcher. I was in the check out line in the grocery and the headline on a tabloid was that Kutcher and Demi Moore were divorcing and their combined net worth was $289,000,000!

Apparently, when Kutcher signed his 2.5 Men deal with Warner Brothers, he required the largest dressing room ever provided, the equivalent of a large double wide trailer. Kutcher's various interests as a businessperson required the space for his key office staff on the Warner lot.

We should not think of Kutcher as the clown on "That 70s Show" anymore. I read a story about actor Walter Brennan who played some kind of hillbilly on a 1950s show called The Real McCoys. Brennan felt that being seen around the lot in farmer's blue jeans distracted from his business reputation as a producer and real estate developer. So, Brennan, as the story goes, wore three piece suits whenever he had to go into the studio's main office. He wanted his due respect as a successful executive. It makes sense that it is difficult for certain people to be taken seriously after establishing a certain screen image.

Kutcher and Moore with $289,000,000, I can can respect that accomplishment as business people! Demi Moore has spent millions of her own dollars to produce movies that support her political activism on subjects such as pro-choice. Both Kutcher and Moore are respected here in the Southern California community as professional business and political successes miles past their screen images.

I am wide open to find any free encyclopedia besides Wiki. As far as I know it is all we got.

Interesting you point to Ashton Kutcher. I was in the check out line in the grocery and the headline on a tabloid was that Kutcher and Demi Moore were divorcing and their combined net worth was $289,000,000!

Apparently, when Kutcher signed his 2.5 Men deal with Warner Brothers, he required the largest dressing room ever provided, the equivalent of a large double wide trailer. Kutcher's various interests as a businessperson required the space for his key office staff on the Warner lot.

We should not think of Kutcher as the clown on "That 70s Show" anymore. I read a story about actor Walter Brennan who played some kind of hillbilly on a 1950s show called The Real McCoys. Brennan felt that being seen around the lot in farmer's blue jeans distracted from his business reputation as a producer and real estate developer. So, Brennan, as the story goes, wore three piece suits whenever he had to go into the studio's main office. He wanted his due respect as a successful executive. It makes sense that it is difficult for certain people to be taken seriously after establishing a certain screen image.

Kutcher and Moore with $289,000,000, I can can respect that accomplishment as business people! Demi Moore has spent millions of her own dollars to produce movies that support her political activism on subjects such as pro-choice. Both Kutcher and Moore are respected here in the Southern California community as professional business and political successes miles past their screen images.

Interesting that you say I point to Kutcher when you were the originator.

I know that pattern. :razz: :clap2:

Interesting that you say I point to Kutcher when you were the originator.

I know that pattern. :razz: :clap2:

Pattern?. You did take issue with the name Ashton Kutcher, after I brought it up. I merely mentioned Kutcher because he is the only person I have ever seen label themselves as a "social liberal and fiscal conservative." Not that there are not others out there, I am just not familiar with any of them. And, again, I am not sure I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative by definition, but the words sounds close to where I am coming from. I may be a "social liberal and a fiscal moderate" because I believe there are some differences in accounting procedures between a corporation and a government. Not to mention differences between Federal, State, and Local governments.

What is this about a "pattern." Talk like that makes me think I am about to get nailed in the next post.

Last edited:
I remain interested to know if you can suggest another free source of encyclopedia information besides Wiki on the internet? It has been my understanding that Wiki is all we have to work with. Did American and Britannica miss the internet boat?

2090574_977591_detail.jpg
britansyn20021.jpg

We had the Britannica in our home when I grew up. Big mistake, everything - especially politics and war - was written from the British point of view - frequently blaming the United States for things that Encyclopedia Americana saw quite differently.

Did not quite know how to take your innuendo on Ashton Kutcher. I only used him as an example, because he is the only one I have ever heard use the phrase "social liberal and fiscal conservative." I am interested in the use of this label. Can you refer me to others who label themselves with this phrase?

Last edited:
Preius: Welcome, and you are one of many 'politically homeless.'

> "social liberal and fiscal conservative." I am interested in the use of this label. Can you refer me to others who label themselves with this phrase?

Me.

You might try a quiz that has been named one of the most balanced 'freedom-oriented' quizzes and surely the shortest.

"World's Smallest Political Quiz" was originally called the Nolan Chart (after Davis Nolan+) and was altered in the assessment chart's orientation by the "Advocates for Self-Government."

It's 10 questions divided into 5 relative to personal freedom, the others to economic freedom.

You can find it at the site in my signature line (copy and paste- I'm still on probation here; no links).

Or here: theadvocates.org/quiz

It is also on the Wikipedia site which contains a history/evolution of the questions.

Last edited:
Preius: Welcome, and you are one of many 'politically homeless.'

> "social liberal and fiscal conservative." I am interested in the use of this label. Can you refer me to others who label themselves with this phrase?

Me.

You might try a quiz that has been named one of the most balanced 'freedom-oriented' quizzes and surely the shortest.

"World's Smallest Political Quiz" was originally called the Nolan Chart (after Davis Nolan+) and was altered in the assessment chart's orientation by the "Advocates for Self-Government."

It's 10 questions divided into 5 relative to personal freedom, the others to economic freedom.

You can find it at the site in my signature line (copy and paste- I'm still on probation here; no links).

Or here: theadvocates.org/quiz

It is also on the Wikipedia site which contains a history/evolution of the questions.

I took that quiz, and here it is for anyone else to take. Advocates for Self Government I came out at 40% making me a centerist with no leanings left or right.

I had a problem with the wording of some questions such as there should be no laws about sex. I think rape or forcing anyone to do anything they do not want to do is wrong, and should be legally punishable. At the same time what people do in the privacy of their own bedroom is their own business as long as no one really gets hurt. I could care less about people getting into sodomy, S&M, or teabagging etc........ I just really do not want to hear about it. It is not that I am a prude, I just have no interest in it. My taste is simple, a little foreplay, followed by flexible positions of the old in and out.

Thanks for the quiz, you have added to my knowledge. I still believe I am to the left of center. I am liking the term I heard "politically homeless."

politically+homeless.jpg

Politically homeless.​

Last edited:
Advocates for Self Government

Interesting site, the only site I've ever been to that ranks me as a Libertarian.
Extremely few questions, narrowly selected for what to me are obvious reasons and pretty much a waste of time.
Find another.

By your opening remark about the 'bigot' label and the TEA parties, you have identified yourself as self inflicted stupid.

Hope that helps.

By your opening remark about the 'bigot' label and the TEA parties, you have identified yourself as self inflicted stupid.

Hope that helps.

That is your opinion, and you are welcome to it. However, consider this. The word 'bigotry" seems to have been a question about the Tea Party since their beginning. The Tea Party has never made a concerted effort to deny it. Bigotry in the Republican Party has become an acceptable code word within the movement.

I personally have struggled with this myself. I take a strong stand, and join Republicans on the issue of illegal immigration. There are people out their who are convinced I am a bigot against brown skin. I am prejudice against freeloaders be they illegal immigrants or hedge fund managers. The fact that 82% of illegal aliens are brown skinned from south of the border does not make things any easier. The truth is illegal immigration is a question of LAW ENFORCEMENT, not race. I live in a comfortable community where some Mexican American citizens can trace their family roots back 300 years before the Declaration of Independence. I am not prejudice against these CITIZENS in any way - we socialize regularly.

52586632.jpg

While we are on the subject of prejudice, I believe the United States owes a debt to African American CITIZENS. We dragged them to this country as slaves, (the did not sneak in for a free welfare ride like illegals). We owe them opportunity such as a the Chicago Urban Prep, where 100% of black males are prepared for college. Again, we owe them an OPPORTUNITY, not a living.

Here again, Republicans lead the way with the concept of vouchers and charter schools. I have not given up on public education, but in the case of African American males, (statistically the greatest 'at risk' group for American educators) I think schools like Urban Prep should be in every major city.

Last edited:

Hope that helps.

That is your opinion, and you are welcome to it. However, consider this. The word 'bigotry" seems to have been a question about the Tea Party since their beginning. The Tea Party has never made a concerted effort to deny it. Bigotry in the Republican Party has become an acceptable code word within the movement.

I personally have struggled with this myself. I take a strong stand, and join Republicans on the issue of illegal immigration. There are people out their who are convinced I am a bigot against brown skin. I am prejudice against freeloaders be they illegal immigrants or hedge fund managers. The fact that 82% of illegal aliens are brown skinned from south of the border does not make things any easier. The truth is illegal immigration is a question of LAW ENFORCEMENT, not race. I live in a comfortable community where some Mexican American citizens can trace their family roots back 300 years before the Declaration of Independence. I am not prejudice against these CITIZENS in any way - we socialize regularly.

52586632.jpg

While we are on the subject of prejudice, I believe the United States owes a debt to African American CITIZENS. We dragged them to this country as slaves, (the did not sneak in for a free welfare ride like illegals). We owe them opportunity such as a the Chicago Urban Prep, where 100% of black males are prepared for college. Again, we owe them an OPPORTUNITY, not a living.

Here again, Republicans lead the way with the concept of vouchers and charter schools. I have not given up on public education, but in the case of African American males, (statistically the greatest 'at risk' group for American educators) I think schools like Urban Prep should be in every major city.

It would be a waste of time for the TEAs to deny something that does not exist. Who labeled them 'bigots'...... left wing pundits in the media. If you take the opinion of pundits, then... again... that says more about your inability to think for yourself than it does about them. They are bigots. You are a bigot. You have judged a group of individuals with absolutely no evidence.

TEA Parties in CA - in the area where my parents live - were mainly hispanics. :eek: And significant numbers of blacks. :eek: And I judge on that evidence - not what I'm told by some asshole with a left wing agenda who just doesn't like freedom of speech - unless they agree with it.

Quick question for you... when did the TEA Parties begin?

Hope that helps.

52586632.jpg

It would be a waste of time for the TEAs to deny something that does not exist. Who labeled them 'bigots'...... left wing pundits in the media. If you take the opinion of pundits, then... again... that says more about your inability to think for yourself than it does about them. They are bigots. You are a bigot. You have judged a group of individuals with absolutely no evidence.

TEA Parties in CA - in the area where my parents live - were mainly hispanics. :eek: And significant numbers of blacks. :eek: And I judge on that evidence - not what I'm told by some asshole with a left wing agenda who just doesn't like freedom of speech - unless they agree with it.

2009. Tea Party movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you wish to bury your head in the sand, that is your choice. Tried to give you an intelligent discussion, and got ignorant righty blather. If you don't know that ALL the major media, call the Teabaggers bigots, you are really out of touch. Guess name-calling is all you got, huh?

head-in-the-sand.jpg

Politically you represent a small and fading minority​

Last edited:

52586632.jpg

2009. Tea Party movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you wish to bury your head in the sand, that is your choice. Tried to give you an intelligent discussion, and got ignorant righty blather. If you don't know that all the major media, call the Teabaggers bigots, you are really out of touch. They still do it weekly at least. Guess name-calling is all you got, huh?

head-in-the-sand.jpg

Politically you represent a small and fading minority​

Wikipedia is a poor choice of sources due to users ability to edit content.

Forum List

Back