All the things I hate about Netflix

I'm sorry your question is unclear.
Are you asking a technical question or
Are you asking an ethical question?
technical
I have no real interest pirating material; have more now than I can watch but just wondering.

I watched this last year. The channel was Daisy Mason and she had a load of stuff of similar vintage. If you havent seen this one give it a go. All the elements in it were still present when I was growing up in the 60s. My Grandprents were riveted to it. Must see TV. Stanley Baker from "Zulu" takes the lead.
Looks like really good stuff. I will give it a try.

technical
I have no real interest pirating material; have more now than I can watch but just wondering.
Never occurred to me but try connecting a recording device inline with your TV.
Doubt it will work. You'll get the recording but, probably encrypted.

BUT, if you're good with these things you can work around the encryption.

Other than people trying to steal first run stuff the effort and risk of stealing IP in the form of music or movies just isn't worth it anymore.

What frustrates me about Netflix is that even if a series is popular, they limit its run to just a few seasons. There were some excellent series that they just tossed.
Ozark (Jason Bateman, Laura Linney drama).
The Santa Clarita Diet (Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant comedy).
The Punisher (Jon Bernthal action/thriller).
The Good Girls (Christina Hendricks, Retta, Mae Whitman dramedy).
Lost in Space (Molly Parker, Parker Posey sci-fi). They're only allowing it one more season.
All great shows that had popular support.

What frustrates me about Netflix is that even if a series is popular, they limit its run to just a few seasons. There were some excellent series that they just tossed.
Ozark (Jason Bateman, Laura Linney drama).
The Santa Clarita Diet (Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant comedy).
The Punisher (Jon Bernthal action/thriller).
The Good Girls (Christina Hendricks, Retta, Mae Whitman dramedy).
Lost in Space (Molly Parker, Parker Posey sci-fi). They're only allowing it one more season.
All great shows that had popular support.
I think that occurs because Netflix buys the rights to show the material for a specific period and when that period is up, they are contractually obligated to to stop streaming it.

Other than people trying to steal first run stuff the effort and risk of stealing IP in the form of music or movies just isn't worth it anymore.
I agree it's too difficult and illegal, not to mention the ethical considerations.

I watched this last year. The channel was Daisy Mason and she had a load of stuff of similar vintage. If you havent seen this one give it a go. All the elements in it were still present when I was growing up in the 60s. My Grandprents were riveted to it. Must see TV. Stanley Baker from "Zulu" takes the lead.
Are you recommending the 1964 movie or the TV miniseries.

BTW, I started watching one of the old classics on Daisy Mason, "The Pallisers". If you like stuff like "Upstairs Downstairs" and "Downton Abbey", you might like it. What I like about these old 19th century English series is they seem more authentic, in language, dress and style.

Last edited:

Yeah that won't work.
Pirating video playing on your computer is a total piece of cake. But why?

You left out they like to discontinue movies before you can even get a chance to watch them. P.s I found a website you can use for New Released, Movies, TV series, etc for FREE with NO ADS inbox if you're interested

Are you recommending the 1964 movie or the TV miniseries.

BTW, I started watching one of the old classics on Daisy Mason, "The Pallisers". If you like stuff like "Upstairs Downstairs" and "Downton Abbey", you might like it. What I like about these old 19th century English series is they seem more authentic, in language, dress and style.
Pallisers is brilliant. They replayed it over here a few years back. They based it on several Trollope novels. He was the Yoda of British political drama. Bur mainly Ive always had a crush on Susan Hampshire.
The BBC version of "How Green" was the one I was referring to. It depicts a lost world but parts of it were still swirling around when I was growing up. Religious hypocrisy, respect for education and so on.

Pallisers is brilliant. They replayed it over here a few years back. They based it on several Trollope novels. He was the Yoda of British political drama. Bur mainly Ive always had a crush on Susan Hampshire.
The BBC version of "How Green" was the one I was referring to. It depicts a lost world but parts of it were still swirling around when I was growing up. Religious hypocrisy, respect for education and so on.
Are you referring to "How Green Was My Valley" There was a 1960 and a 1975 BBC series. I saw one of them but don't remember which one. There was also a 1941 film.

I miss the Blockbuster store era.
"Honey did you remember to rewind the videos before I drop them off ?" That period around 1983 to 1993 was largely my 'sewing the wild oats' days......met the wife and had our first of 2 sons in 1989...... and we're still together about a thousand miles from where we started.

I miss the Blockbuster store era.
"Honey did you remember to rewind the videos before I drop them off ?" That period around 1983 to 1993 was largely my 'sewing the wild oats' days......met the wife and had our first of 2 sons in 1989...... and we're still together about a thousand miles from where we started.
There is no doubt that the age of streaming video gives viewers more choices, and more convenience. However, is this really more enjoyable. Do we really need more choices? I can't say I enjoyed the trips to video store that much but I did enjoy Netflix when it was a mail order service, researching and picking out DVDs, waiting with anticipation. Today I sit down in front of the big screen about 7pm and start searching thru NetFlix, Prime, Hula, Cable, and other services looking for just the right program or movie to watch tonight. I start one program only to find it's not really what I wanted then I try another and other. Before long it's 11:00 and time to watch the local news and turn in. Life was so simple with less choices.

There is no doubt that the age of streaming video gives viewers more choices, and more convenience. However, is this really more enjoyable. Do we really need more choices? I can't say I enjoyed the trips to video store that much but I did enjoy Netflix when it was a mail order service, researching and picking out DVDs, waiting with anticipation. Today I sit down in front of the big screen about 7pm and start searching thru NetFlix, Prime, Hula, Cable, and other services looking for just the right program or movie to watch tonight. I start one program only to find it's not really what I wanted then I try another and other. Before long it's 11:00 and time to watch the local news and turn in. Life was so simple with less choices.
My wife watches Netflix, Hulu and everything and I usually watch YouTube.

I have been a subscriber to Netflix since they were a DVD subscription service so I think I'm pretty knowledgeable of their service. Granted there is good stuff but there's a ton of real mediocre material and the interface is terrible.

1. The interface on Netflix leaves a lot to be desired. Every new session with Netflix begins with an ad for one of their productions. Every time you sign on the categories are different or arrange differently. The items you are currently watching may appear first or last. Their clear intent is to persuade their audience to watch their original content because they own it and second rate material because of it's low cost.

2. Their algorithm for recommending videos really sucks. I consistently select like or dislike when I watch a video, however my preferences seem to have no effect on what they recommend. I think they use like/dislike just to determine how long they keep the video.

3. I don't think they have upgraded their search feature since it was introduced. There is no voice recognition so you have get the spelling just right. Searches never really fail. When they don't have the item you are looking for it still show up in the list and if you select it, it shows items that are not even close to what you're looking. I suspect this is just another way of directing subscribers to material they select.

4. A big part of Netflix's business model is being an international subscription streaming service that services all cultures and nationalities. That's fine but there should be a way of filtering material that you have no interest in. In general I like American movies made for the US marketplace and I really hate reading subtitles. Often I have to start the video to find this out. Again the purpose is to persuade audiences to watch certain material.

5. I can find no effective way of restricting content. When we have the grandkids over I would like to limit their choices. The only way I have found to doing that is to discover all the objectional material and protect it with a pin number.

6. Although there are some really high quality Netflix original series and movies, most are not that good. In fact, I would say most Netflix originals would never make it to the screen if audiences had to pay per view. Often the Netflix originals are offbeat productions starting people you never heard of. Many of these videos were sold to Netflix because they were cheap. If a production is written and filmed by the director with only a few actors with limited experience playing in scenes shot on streets, backyards, and in living rooms, how expense can it be.

7. Unlike TV where there is new season every year, a Netflix session is indefinite. There can be a new session every 6 months, every 2 years, or never. Thus there is rarely a session finally. So many Netflix series, never wrap up. Audiences are left wondering. Even worst, Netflix may purchase only selected TV season from the network. Worst of all the there is no firm policy on discontinuing anything. You may start a series or movie, go on vacation, and return to find it gone.
I actually find their interface more favorable to Amazon Prime, Disney+, Peacock and Hulu. Yes I have all of them. Darn kids!

My wife watches Netflix, Hulu and everything and I usually watch YouTube.
I'm surprised by how much there is on Youtube. Older movies and TV programs made before 1950 had a 75 year copywrite. lf it was not extended before 1978 the movie is in public domain. So many movies prior to 1946 are in public domain. In some cases movies made after that date were placed in public domain by the holder of the copyright. Also some of the copywrites held by studios that went belly-up were subject to a distribution of assets to creditors who in turn sold them and the current owner is lost. There's a website that you can check to see if material is is still protected by copyright. Copyrights registered after 1978 are protected for 95 years. I know this is a bit off topic but I thought it was interesting.
WebVoyage Titles

I'm surprised by how much there is on Youtube. Older movies and TV programs made before 1950 had a 75 year copywrite. lf it was not extended before 1978 the movie is in public domain. So many movies prior to 1946 are in public domain. In some cases movies made after that date were placed in public domain by the holder of the copyright. Also some of the copywrites held by studios that went belly-up were subject to a distribution of assets to creditors who in turn sold them and the current owner is lost. There's a website that you can check to see if material is is still protected by copyright. Copyrights registered after 1978 are protected for 95 years. I know this is a bit off topic but I thought it was interesting.
WebVoyage Titles
We try to keep up with the local news and National Broadcast News ( State propaganda information otherwise known as )but other than that and some sports, I like surfing YouTube and the occasional movie ( Usually something I've already seen because there's generally nothing much new that would interest me. In fact, most of my favorites are from the 80's )

There is some truth in that.
But I definitely do NOT miss renting tapes/DVDs.
The sheer amount of wasted time walking around aimlessly looking for something.
As you say, now the problem is shear volume.
What Bonzi did was pretty smart, she created a "Movie cup". Whenever either of us thru the week sees/hears/remembers a movie we would like to see - we write it on a slip of paper and put it in the cup. Then on the weekend - we draw from the cup.

There is some truth in that.
But I definitely do NOT miss renting tapes/DVDs.
The sheer amount of wasted time walking around aimlessly looking for something.
As you say, now the problem is shear volume.
What Bonzi did was pretty smart, she created a "Movie cup". Whenever either of us thru the week sees/hears/remembers a movie we would like to see - we write it on a slip of paper and put it in the cup. Then on the weekend - we draw from the cup.
Sounds like great idea.

I just discovered a new source for movies and series, Youtube. Although most of the stuff is fairly old, it's pretty high quality stuff and it's free. I found a few things not available elsewhere without paying a fee.

New Topics

Forum List

Back