All the things I hate about Netflix

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
I have been a subscriber to Netflix since they were a DVD subscription service so I think I'm pretty knowledgeable of their service. Granted there is good stuff but there's a ton of real mediocre material and the interface is terrible.

1. The interface on Netflix leaves a lot to be desired. Every new session with Netflix begins with an ad for one of their productions. Every time you sign on the categories are different or arrange differently. The items you are currently watching may appear first or last. Their clear intent is to persuade their audience to watch their original content because they own it and second rate material because of it's low cost.

2. Their algorithm for recommending videos really sucks. I consistently select like or dislike when I watch a video, however my preferences seem to have no effect on what they recommend. I think they use like/dislike just to determine how long they keep the video.

3. I don't think they have upgraded their search feature since it was introduced. There is no voice recognition so you have get the spelling just right. Searches never really fail. When they don't have the item you are looking for it still show up in the list and if you select it, it shows items that are not even close to what you're looking. I suspect this is just another way of directing subscribers to material they select.

4. A big part of Netflix's business model is being an international subscription streaming service that services all cultures and nationalities. That's fine but there should be a way of filtering material that you have no interest in. In general I like American movies made for the US marketplace and I really hate reading subtitles. Often I have to start the video to find this out. Again the purpose is to persuade audiences to watch certain material.

5. I can find no effective way of restricting content. When we have the grandkids over I would like to limit their choices. The only way I have found to doing that is to discover all the objectional material and protect it with a pin number.

6. Although there are some really high quality Netflix original series and movies, most are not that good. In fact, I would say most Netflix originals would never make it to the screen if audiences had to pay per view. Often the Netflix originals are offbeat productions starting people you never heard of. Many of these videos were sold to Netflix because they were cheap. If a production is written and filmed by the director with only a few actors with limited experience playing in scenes shot on streets, backyards, and in living rooms, how expense can it be.

7. Unlike TV where there is new season every year, a Netflix session is indefinite. There can be a new session every 6 months, every 2 years, or never. Thus there is rarely a session finally. So many Netflix series, never wrap up. Audiences are left wondering. Even worst, Netflix may purchase only selected TV season from the network. Worst of all the there is no firm policy on discontinuing anything. You may start a series or movie, go on vacation, and return to find it gone.

Last edited:
Netflix, once the God of streaming services, is in a fight for survival.
They dominated the market almost exclusively.
But then owners of production began limiting and finally cutting Netflix out of their content.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, Netflix has lost well over half of it's most popular content due to those owners starting their own streaming channel.
That is what sucks.
Today streaming TV is basically the same as cable TV. In order to see content you want - you have to subscribe to a bunch of channels you don't really want. Providers have turned the tables on streamers. I said this was going to happen at least 5 years ago.
So a part of what you are griping about is just Netflix trying to get people to watch content that can't be taken away from them.
I use to watch Netflix almost exclusively. They had everything. Now, I barely watch it at all. They lost virtually everything I use to watch.

I cant remember the last time I watched something on it. The wife always finds something she likes but the choice is a bit limited and the interface is hard work. I think they might struggle when the cinemas get back in full swing.

Having said that there are too many of these services and some consolidation would be good. It can work out expensive to have them all.

I wish Netflix had better movies. I’m not big on shows. Too time consuming.

The interface is better than Prime. And you know that on Netflix whatever you choose won't cost extra, unlike Prime. If it wasn't for the fact that Prime has some very good shows that have me hooked, I'd dump it and keep Netflix.

But then owners of production began limiting and finally cutting Netflix out of their content.
Over the past 2 or 3 years, Netflix has lost well over half of it's most popular content due to those owners starting their own streaming channel.
That is what sucks.
Today streaming TV is basically the same as cable TV. In order to see content you want - you have to subscribe to a bunch of channels you don't really want. Providers have turned the tables on streamers. I said this was going to happen at least 5 years ago.
So a part of what you are griping about is just Netflix trying to get people to watch content that can't be taken away from them.
I use to watch Netflix almost exclusively. They had everything. Now, I barely watch it at all. They lost virtually everything I use to watch.
I think you nailed. If you are as old as I am, you probably remember the days when all we had was a few TV channels. Oh, how we yearned for more choices. Thus began a 50 year journey to give the viewer everything they could possibly want. Today, they have it but how can they find it?

I use the same screen for both cable, and the internet. Sitting in front of me, I have a TV remote, a cable remote, and of course my pc mouse and keyboard. Last night I searched through Google, streaming services, cable, and the internet to decide on what to watch. After about 2 hours, it was time for the 10:00 news and couple hours of reading, thus ending my evening. It seems that is happening more and more theses days.

Comcast Cable (Xfinity) search capability includes Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max and few other streaming services. This morning I picked up my Comcast remote and said Outlaw Josey Wales". It displayed Watch Options which included Netflix, Warner Bros, Paramount, and Comcast. Since I wasn't interested in watching today, I selected the Comcast channel and record.

There is a growing need for a service that indexes all streaming service's content so the viewer can quickly browse and search to find the desired content. Comcast does a pretty good job but they only search a few of the streaming services.

Last edited:
I cant remember the last time I watched something on it. The wife always finds something she likes but the choice is a bit limited and the interface is hard work. I think they might struggle when the cinemas get back in full swing.

Having said that there are too many of these services and some consolidation would be good. It can work out expensive to have them all.
I don't think there is anything wrong with many streaming services as long as you have an interface that indexes all content and allows you to seamlessly search and browse. The situation we have today where you must subscribe to a number of services and search each one individually just to see if they have what you are looking for is crazy, particular when you consider that they are always adding and dropping content. Comcast does a pretty good job of this but it only indexes a few of the largest services.

Last edited:
The interface is better than Prime. And you know that on Netflix whatever you choose won't cost extra, unlike Prime. If it wasn't for the fact that Prime has some very good shows that have me hooked, I'd dump it and keep Netflix.
I think Prime has an option "Free to Me" where it will only show you free content. Although everything on Netflix is covered by your membership fee, I find the quality is really poor in many of their original productions. Although some are very good, most seem to be low cost production with actors and directors you never heard of and after watching you know why.

Last edited:

I don't think there is anything wrong with many streaming services as long as you have an interface that indexes all content and allows you to seamlessly search and browse. The situation we have today where you must subscribe to a number of services and search each one individually just to see if they have what you are looking for is crazy, particular when you consider that they are always adding and dropping content. Comcast does a pretty good job of this but it only indexes a few of the largest services.
You probably have a bigger choice in the States than we have here. We have 5 terrestial channels which are free. they all have streaming services of which only the BBC is ever used. The others show programmes with adverts in and you cant skip the ads.

Then we have prime,netflix, britbox, disney and a few more obscure ones. These all require a fee but the quality is variable. \disney for example - I believe that they just show the wretched superhero movies which I wouldnt give tuppence for. But they will be showing Welcome to Wrexham next year which is about my football club. I actually like prime as they seem to have the MGM back catalogue on there. But I despise bezos and grudge giving him a penny of my money.

What I would like is a decent westerns or classic movies channel so that I dont get bogged down in superhero movies or films about idiots who get drunk in vegas and get wanker tattoed on their forehead.

We have the Sony and Paramount channels but they are extensively padded out with cheap reality crap to fill the schedules.

I probably watch more on youtube and BBC iplayer than on any of the subscription services.That is probably my age though.

That is what sucks.
I think you nailed. If you are as old as I am, you probably remember the days when all we had was a few TV channels. Oh, how we yearned for more choices. Thus began a 50 year journey to give the viewer everything they could possibly want. Today, they have it but how can they find it?

I use the same screen for both cable, and the internet. Sitting in front of me, I have a TV remote, a cable remote, and of course my pc mouse and keyboard. Last night I searched through Google, streaming services, cable, and the internet to decide on what to watch. After about 2 hours, it was time for the 10:00 news and couple hours of reading, thus ending my evening. It seems that is happening more and more theses days.

Comcast Cable (Xfinity) search capability includes Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max and few other streaming services. This morning I picked up my Comcast remote and said Outlaw Josey Wales". It displayed Watch Options which included Netflix, Warner Bros, Paramount, and Comcast. Since I wasn't interested in watching today, I selected the Comcast channel and record.

There is a growing need for a service that indexes all streaming service's content so the viewer can quickly browse and search to find the desired content. Comcast does a pretty good job but they only search a few of the streaming services.
I use Roku so it searches everything I have installed on it with one search.
And yes I am old enough to remember all you had was 3 stations, and they all went off at midnight. Except Saturday, I think they went off 2am maybe.
And the only TV we had was a Blk/White till I was maybe 5

I think Prime has an option "Free to Me" where it will only show you free content. Although everything on Netflix is covered by your membership fee, I find the quality is really poor in many of their original productions. Although some are very good, most seem to be low cost production with actors and directors you never heard of and after watching you know why.

Thanks for the Prime tip, I haven't tried that choice yet since I've been mostly watching Bosch, Mrs. Maisel, The Boys, and some of their other series.

I've been concentrating on the Netflix selection of documentaries of late. A varied selection, some have been very interesting.

Same here. I still subscribe to Netflix, only because there are a couple of Netflix original series that my wife watches, but most of what I watch, I get through an android streaming box using the Kodi application.

I can usually find whatever is on Netflix, or any other streaming service that way.

Oh and BTW... when streaming online you can see a lot more content with a VPN and change your IP to another country.
For instance.. I couldn't believe there is a TV show in Britain where men and woman choose someone to go out with by only seeing their naked bodies. And, of course, you see everything right along with them. It is hilarious.
It is called Naked Attraction. If you try to watch it in the U.S. - you will be blocked. But if you use a VPN and set your IP to Canada... whallaa.

That is what sucks.
A model, each producer with their own stream service, in my opinion doomed to fail.

Take Star Trek.
2 shows stream on CBS and no where else.
Access 10/mo
and
Star Wars on disney $15/mo
AND
Now NBC, Paramount, etc, etc...

Netflix + HULU + Amazon Prime + CBS + DISNEY + NBC + Paramount + + +

At some point the share spreads so thin that it becomes impossible to cover costs.

NETFLIX, HULU, Amazon, and maybe Disney have the breadth to survive. The others...will go to HULU or NETFLIX and partner up.

That is what sucks.
A model, each producer with their own stream service, in my opinion doomed to fail.

Take Star Trek.
Access 10/mo
and
AND

At some point the share spreads so thin that it becomes impossible to cover costs.

NETFLIX, HULU, Amazon, and maybe Disney have the breadth to survive. The others...will go to HULU or NETFLIX and partner up.
One can hope.
Right now it is terrible.
As mentioned in another similar thread, I use to pirate movies on torrent often. I wanted to be legal... and as soon as good services like VUDU etc. became available - I stopped pirating. And went several years without doing so. I don't have a problem with paying $4-$5 to watch a movie I want to see.
But now... you have all of what I call "Exclusive marketing"... example "News of the World". It was only available on Apple TV. Screw that, I am no paying for a channel I don't want.
So I pirated it. And paid nothing.
Movie piracy was rampant 10 years ago. It faded fast with rent services, because most people do want to be legal.
This exclusivity shit is going to cost them... piracy is back up according to NY Post and others.
They are going to screw themselves once again with their greedy cash grabbing

Of all the ways to bring entertainment into the home, I prefer Comcast (Xfinity) Cable because it has an excellent interface which allows you to control your TV, cable box, and over 20 different streaming services which include Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBOMax, Diseney+, etc. When you want to search for a movie or series, you don't have know where it's housed. You just press the voice button on your Comcast remote and say the name of the movie or series, and it will search through all the comcast channel offerings current and future, your DVR, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and dozens of other streaming services and present you with watch options and best of all you can select the source and you never need to go to your computer or login to the service.

Last edited:
That is what sucks.

Take Star Trek.
Access 10/mo
and
AND

One can hope.
As mentioned in another similar thread, I use to pirate movies on torrent often. I wanted to be legal... and as soon as good services like VUDU etc. became available - I stopped pirating. And went several years without doing so. I don't have a problem with paying $4-$5 to watch a movie I want to see.
But now... you have all of what I call "Exclusive marketing"... example "News of the World". It was only available on Apple TV. Screw that, I am no paying for a channel I don't want.
Movie piracy was rampant 10 years ago. It faded fast with rent services, because most people do want to be legal.
This exclusivity shit is going to cost them... piracy is back up according to NY Post and others.
Are you my conscience????
1625707876943.png

Just everything you said is not only correct, done it myself.

Remember when the music industry was so hot on this? I said back then that the pirate model was price based. The higher the price, the lower sales which lowers revenues despite the higher prices. You can't defeat the pirates. The solution is to set a price low enough that a typical user won't bother to pirate. At the right price the next group, the REAL pirates who won't pay not matter the cost will be minimized. Leave the customers and potential customers alone and focus the effort on those pirating and reselling the product.

But they still find it necessary to chase down some 13 yo kid in Ohio over a few dozen songs on her cell.

That is what sucks.

Take Star Trek.
Access 10/mo
and
AND

One can hope.
View attachment 510131

Remember when the music industry was so hot on this? I said back then that the pirate model was price based. The higher the price, the lower sales which lowers revenues despite the higher prices. You can't defeat the pirates. The solution is to set a price low enough that a typical user won't bother to pirate. At the right price the next group, the REAL pirates who won't pay not matter the cost will be minimized. Leave the customers and potential customers alone and focus the effort on those pirating and reselling the product.

But they still find it necessary to chase down some 13 yo kid in Ohio over a few dozen songs on her cell.
How can someone pirate movies from a streaming services? They are either free with the service or you buy/rent them with a credit card.

That is what sucks.

Take Star Trek.
Access 10/mo
and
AND

One can hope.
View attachment 510131

How can someone pirate movies from a streaming services? They are either free with the service or you buy/rent them with a credit card.
I'm sorry your question is unclear.
Are you asking a technical question or
Are you asking an ethical question?

That is what sucks.

Take Star Trek.
Access 10/mo
and
AND

One can hope.
View attachment 510131

I'm sorry your question is unclear.
Are you asking a technical question or
Are you asking an ethical question?
technical

Forum List

Back