All the things I hate about Netflix

I like these kind of things on Youtube.... This one is very cool.
I was born in 1965, so a fair number of them were taken before I was born.. but nevertheless it was still pretty much like this when I was a kid of course.
More than anything... something you simply can't get folks born after 1980 to comprehend... all over America, every town was different.
You drove throughout the town/city and the vast-vast majority of businesses/shops/restaurants were unique. Locally owned.
The importance of that money residing in that community was why communities were so well taken care of and neat.
Today - it is Anytown, USA.

Last edited:
There is some truth in that.
But I definitely do NOT miss renting tapes/DVDs.
The sheer amount of wasted time walking around aimlessly looking for something.
As you say, now the problem is shear volume.
What Bonzi did was pretty smart, she created a "Movie cup". Whenever either of us thru the week sees/hears/remembers a movie we would like to see - we write it on a slip of paper and put it in the cup. Then on the weekend - we draw from the cup.
Good Idea

I like these kind of things on Youtube.... This one is very cool.
I was born in 1965, so a fair number of them were taken before I was born.. but nevertheless it was still pretty much like this when I was a kid of course.
More than anything... something you simply can't get folks born after 1980 to comprehend... all over America, every town was different.
You drove throughout the town/city and the vast-vast majority of businesses/shops/restaurants were unique. Locally owned.
The importance of that money residing in that community was why communities were so well taken care of and neat.
Today - it is Anytown, USA.

The interstate highway systems, growth of air travel, and television has pulled America together. Corporate America is largely responsible for the destruction of the uniqueness of cities. As you ride down major streets in LA, Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, or Chicago, so much of what see is the same, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Shell, Chevron, Grease Monkey, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, ect etc. Once inside a mall they are basically the same. Even building architecture is being copied from city to city. Small towns today are typically just suburbs of large cities. Most of those that aren't are slowly dying.

I was in London in 1960 when I first got out of high school. Everything was so British and so different. No American food, no fast food, no shopping centers, no Hiltons or Holiday Inns and the British accents were such that I could hardly understand anyone. In 2012, I was in London and it was like being in a large American city trying to look British.

Forum List

Back