All the best country music is from Canada

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I was on the verge of hijacking another thread, so...

It's true. In last decade or so, a quiet revolution has occurred and now all good country music comes from Canada.

Corb Lund
NQ Arbuckle
Fred Eaglesmith
Neko Case
The Wailin' Jennys
The Sadies
The Be Good Tanyas

etc, etc

Feel free to add to my list. But don't DARE to disagree with me. ;)

I was blessed to have worked with Sylvia Tyson. I did the promo for Satin on Stone.

But you wanna talk canadian country? hehehe. My fave of all time and beleive me it was a blast promoting the crap out of this tune "The Rodeo Song".

I could never get it on radio stations until Q had the balls to put it on (people major rock station) AND I actually walked into a bar in Halifax that was a strip joint and the dancer was doing something with a ball python I still want to CLR out of my head. But this strip joint owner said he couldn't have that type of language in his club.

It's 40 below and I don't give a........

I was on the verge of hijacking another thread, so...

It's true. In last decade or so, a quiet revolution has occurred and now all good country music comes from Canada.

Corb Lund
NQ Arbuckle
Fred Eaglesmith
Neko Case
The Wailin' Jennys
The Sadies
The Be Good Tanyas

etc, etc

Feel free to add to my list. But don't DARE to disagree with me. ;)

I stopped being a fan of country music, after Garth Brooks came onto the scene, although I did like some of his efforts. I liked country music in the 90's but not since. I do still love Classic Country. Canada has given us fab singers and just to mention a couple....K.D. Lang and Celine Dion including the ones you have mentioned I am sure.

England has given us great rock-and roll. Music is a huge part of my life's enjoyment. Most every genre. Ireland has given us great new-age ( Enya and others ) and just recently I have heard of The Pogues ( with that Subaru commercial ) and now have purchased two of their CD's and two DVD concert appearances. Also burned 20 of their tunes onto two CD's and have one in my car and one in my player to listen to with my Bose headphones....Life is good, when you wear music....:clap2:

Last edited:
The Wilkinsons - Fast Car

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9C-Qskqa9E&feature=related]The Wilkinsons - Fast Car - YouTube[/ame]

The Wilkinsons - Fast Car

Nice! though I'd say I'm still partial to the original. Probably just because I had the album and listened to it a lot.

Here's a nice one from Corb Lund - political even:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GM1RqWQ1gs&feature=related]Corb Lund - Student Visas - YouTube[/ame]

The stuff out of Canada is good, but Austin is still making the best Country Music in the land. It just doesn't get any radio play.

Robert Earl Keen - Shades of Gray (a song indirectly about the OKC bombing).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RArZGbD9k-M&feature=related]Robert Earl Keen - Austin City Limits - YouTube[/ame]

The stuff out of Canada is good, but Austin is still making the best Country Music in the land. It just doesn't get any radio play.

Robert Earl Keen - Austin City Limits - YouTube

Ok, I'll give you Austin. Keen is one of my faves as well. But you can add a long list of Austin based acts and I won't complain.

I guess the main message I'd like to get out there is country music isn't necessarily milquetoast gruel.

Another good hotbed is Chicago, with just about any act on Bloodshot Records being worth a listen.

Robert Earl Keen - Austin City Limits - YouTube

Ok, I'll give you Austin. Keen is one of my faves as well. But you can add a long list of Austin based acts and I won't complain.

I guess the main message I'd like to get out there is country music isn't necessarily milquetoast gruel.

Another good hotbed is Chicago, with just about any act on Bloodshot Records being worth a listen.

Reckless Kelly, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willie, Steve Earl, Townes Van Zandt (obviously gone now). Great music.

Speaking of Bloodshot Records:

Here's a great band worth a listen. I went to high school with two of them. Great guys and they are getting some attention.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkqyeRtGrj0]Ha Ha Tonka - "St. Nick on the Fourth in a Fervor" - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back