Alcoholism

Which is why addiction is not a disease

You can cure it by simply abstaining from the substance you are addicted to.

So if I lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol he will be cured

If I lock a guy with cancer in a room the mere act of locking him in a room will not cure his cancer

Cancer is a disease alcoholism isn't

Locking someone in a room will cause them to not drink, just as you can stop someone from breathing locking them in an airproof room.

If an alcoholic is deprived of alcohol for a year, they'll be sober, but not in recovery. Unless the underlying cause of the addiction is addressed, the chance of a relapse or slip is almost certain. JUST not drinking is not a solution, that's called white-knuckling. An alcoholic is dependent psychologically and physically. If something does not take the place of the drinking, that too increases the chance of a relapse.

Whether someone calls it a disease or not, to me makes no difference whatsoever. Whatever works for them. works for me.

So if I lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol he will be cured

If I lock a guy with cancer in a room the mere act of locking him in a room will not cure his cancer

Locking someone in a room will cause them to not drink, just as you can stop someone from breathing locking them in an airproof room.

If an alcoholic is deprived of alcohol for a year, they'll be sober, but not in recovery. Unless the underlying cause of the addiction is addressed, the chance of a relapse or slip is almost certain. JUST not drinking is not a solution, that's called white-knuckling. An alcoholic is dependent psychologically and physically. If something does not take the place of the drinking, that too increases the chance of a relapse.

Whether someone calls it a disease or not, to me makes no difference whatsoever. Whatever works for them. works for me.
So. Correct. Stopping is starting.

Fear of death is a good motivator .
( Fear of liver or other vital organ damage, including brain damage with heavy, lifelong drinkers. The fear of DWI's car accidents, incarceration and so on)
Fear of destroying your marriage or losing your job for being hung over and late all the time....and so on.

Life's too short as Kobe Bryant just reminded us a few days ago.
Breathe the oxygen, smell the pine trees. Take your boys fishing before they grow up. Teach your girls how to swim and ride bikes ...If you don't grab it, life will pass you by.

Last edited:
Has it affected you, a family member, loved one?

I've seen my share over the years.

Hope I don't regret this post.

I was a heroin addict from about 1998 (pills in the beginning, then the heroin). I moved here and my first wife became a cop so no more smack. In out family everyone is a drunk. They are all Scott's. That or junkies. The drunks tend to live, not so much the junkies. I came away with allot of folks who won't look at me anymore and hepatitis c. So I was effected, it hastened the end of a doomed ass marriage (took like 20 years) and that's about it. My grown kids were all infants so they only get stories. Now I only smoke pot, eat mushrooms and pop a pain pill or two now and again. Why did I stop? Well, not because of the ex. Mostly I just don't want my kids to say I'm a filthy junky loser. Moms a cop after all.

Another thing I notice about folks who are all wrapped up in shit like meth, cocaine booze or whatever and that's the ability to become comfortable with being a sack of shit. They may steal some shit, and the excuse it that it was just a rich person or they were assholes and always have it coming. That, and when you are busted it's always someone else's fault. The addicts ability to blame is legendary.

Another thing I notice about folks who are all wrapped up in shit like meth, cocaine booze or whatever and that's the ability to become comfortable with being a sack of shit. They may steal some shit, and the excuse it that it was just a rich person or they were assholes and always have it coming. That, and when you are busted it's always someone else's fault. The addicts ability to blame is legendary.

Not that I'm condoning theft ( btw , how do they steal from rich people nowadays, with gated driveways and security cameras everywhere ?) but it occurs to me the addiction problem in this country largely could have been and can be prevented by a) ending the 'war on drugs' and legalizing most drugs b) providing free counselling and treatment for addiction c) regulating drug manufacturers so they can't flood the streets with prescription drugs and shut down the flood of heroin from Afghanistan and Mexico etc...d) harsh sentences for any individuals caught 'cooking' drugs such as meth, ice, fentanyl or other dangerous substances.

Not that I'm condoning theft ( btw , how do they steal from rich people nowadays, with gated driveways and security cameras everywhere ?) but it occurs to me the addiction problem in this country largely could have been and can be prevented by a) ending the 'war on drugs' and legalizing most drugs b) providing free counselling and treatment for addiction c) regulating drug manufacturers so they can't flood the streets with prescription drugs and shut down the flood of heroin from Afghanistan and Mexico etc...d) harsh sentences for any individuals caught 'cooking' drugs such as meth, ice, fentanyl or other dangerous substances.

I don't agree with legalizing "most" drugs. In theory yeah, sure great idea, but in the end you will still have fools killing each other over dope. That and you would have allot of dead junkies. I agree with the rest. You know I tried to get the methadone, I quit that process. In the end all you are is a goddamnd slave showing up for your little bit of metered out shit. As for the stealing from rich folks, it happens and when you are in that cram of mind anyone who has $40 worth of stuff you can rip off they are rich folks. One thing I would add to your suggestions is that there are already programs and drug rehab out there. The problem is our system stuffs it full of teenagers who vape a juul in the school bathroom and homeless people.

Alcoholism sort of runs in my family. My mother wasn't a drinker but my father was what I'd call a functioning alcoholic. His drinking never interfered with his work. He was almost exclusively a social drinker, I never saw him drink at home. His social drinking away from home with his friends DID have a negative affect on his marriage. My mother told me after I had reached my teens that my father had cheated on her as a direct result of his drinking. I've struggled with drinking at times, but it never interfered with my work. I drink sometimes when I'm depressed. I KNOW it's not good to do, but I still do it occasionally. I sometimes drink a bit too much when I'm out and I know that's definitely not a good thing. I tend to limit my heavy drinking at home. By "heavy" drinking, I mean more than two beers, which I don't do that often. So, alcoholism does seem to be in my blood, so to speak.

And I did try AA, it just didn't seem to work for me. I guess that's probably because I don't WANT to give up drinking completely. I'd still like to have a beer or two if I want.

No one becomes an instant alcoholic it takes a long time of daily heavy drinking to become addicted

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's called a genetic predisposition. The language used in the link also follows the "disease" theory. If your parents, grandparents, etc. are alcoholics/addicts then you would be at a higher risk to become the same. Men are not excluded. In fact, the substance abuse by the father leading up to the time of conception also impacts the baby. Genetics and alcoholism
Both my parents were addicts and yet I have no trouble with booze or drugs.

It takes a long time to get addicted to anything

Becoming an alcoholic takes commitment

Were you a drug baby or did the addiction come later on down the road?

This is FAS
Fetal alcohol syndrome - Symptoms and causes
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.
dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

Still, the only real "cure" is to modify behaviors.

It's not that simple. Cancer and addiction are both diseases.

If you lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol, sure he may be cured in mild cases. However, in more serious cases he may die from acute alcohol withdrawal.

And I did try AA, it just didn't seem to work for me. I guess that's probably because I don't WANT to give up drinking completely. I'd still like to have a beer or two if I want.

AA has lost its way. All it is is a place for probies to meet up and party. Got to say though, it really works for those who commit to it. Honestly it's just about figuring out what's up and addressing it. They way I look at it is of you are doing whatever and have to lie about it then you probably have an issue.

If you deprive any addict the substance to which they are addicted for a sufficient period of time then the addiction is remedied and no longer exists.

Of course if the people who are no longer addicted choose to engage in the behaviors that cause the addiction that is their choice it is not a disease I would rather say it is a syndrome

It's called a genetic predisposition. The language used in the link also follows the "disease" theory. If your parents, grandparents, etc. are alcoholics/addicts then you would be at a higher risk to become the same. Men are not excluded. In fact, the substance abuse by the father leading up to the time of conception also impacts the baby. Genetics and alcoholism
Both my parents were addicts and yet I have no trouble with booze or drugs.

It takes a long time to get addicted to anything

Becoming an alcoholic takes commitment

Were you a drug baby or did the addiction come later on down the road?

This is FAS
Fetal alcohol syndrome - Symptoms and causes
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.
dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

Still, the only real "cure" is to modify behaviors.

It's not that simple. Cancer and addiction are both diseases.

If you lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol, sure he may be cured in mild cases. However, in more serious cases he may die from acute alcohol withdrawal.

Addiction is not a disease. Addiction is the result of repeated use of a substance or drug which causes biochemical and physical changes in the body and that physical dependence takes time to manifest. It takes a protracted period of very heavy drinking to become addicted to alcohol.

A person can get cancer regardless of their behavior one cannot become an addict without engaging in the behaviors that cause addiction

Addiction is not a disease. Addiction is the result of repeated use of a substance or drug which causes biochemical and physical changes in the body and that physical dependence takes time to manifest. It takes a protracted period of very heavy drinking to become addicted to alcohol.

A person can get cancer regardless of their behavior one cannot become an addict without engaging in the behaviors that cause addiction
One exception I can think of is second-hand smoke.
Both my parents smoked all the time in the house, in the car, wherever -- and by the time I tried my first cigarette at 15, I was almost immediately hooked . ( in other words I was essentially a smoker before even starting...my body was already craving nicotine )
Fortunately, I quit 30 years later and it's been 10 years now. (Going on 2 years for alcohol)

Are some addictions like alcoholism hereditary ? Probably but I'd guess most
of them are environmental. If you separated crack baby twins, sent one to a well-adjusted middle class family in Toronto and the other to an orphanage in Brooklyn, it's not hard to guess how each would turn likely turn out.

Alcoholism sort of runs in my family. My mother wasn't a drinker but my father was what I'd call a functioning alcoholic. His drinking never interfered with his work. He was almost exclusively a social drinker, I never saw him drink at home. His social drinking away from home with his friends DID have a negative affect on his marriage. My mother told me after I had reached my teens that my father had cheated on her as a direct result of his drinking. I've struggled with drinking at times, but it never interfered with my work. I drink sometimes when I'm depressed. I KNOW it's not good to do, but I still do it occasionally. I sometimes drink a bit too much when I'm out and I know that's definitely not a good thing. I tend to limit my heavy drinking at home. By "heavy" drinking, I mean more than two beers, which I don't do that often. So, alcoholism does seem to be in my blood, so to speak.
My mom drank Lite beer (every day)and smoked Marlboro Light 100's for almost 30 years
and died of pneumonia at 47. Now, anyone can get pneumonia, but healthy people generally
don't die from it, at least not since penicillin came along. I've outlived her by 11 years so far.

One exception I can think of is second-hand smoke.
Both my parents smoked all the time in the house, in the car, wherever -- and by the time I tried my first cigarette at 15, I was almost immediately hooked . ( in other words I was essentially a smoker before even starting...my body was already craving nicotine )
Fortunately, I quit 30 years later and it's been 10 years now. (Going on 2 years for alcohol)

Are some addictions like alcoholism hereditary ? Probably but I'd guess most
of them are environmental. If you separated crack baby twins, sent one to a well-adjusted middle class family in Toronto and the other to an orphanage in Brooklyn, it's not hard to guess how each would turn likely turn out.

While Second hand smoke has health effects I have never heard anyone claim they were addicted to it. You grew up with smokers so the behavior was modeled and you had some acclimation to the smoke itself. It is the behavior that leads to addiction. Stop the behavior and the addiction will disappear

No one is a born addict.

Both my parents died early deaths due to alcohol and drug addiction my father when I was 4 my mother when I was 14.

I have had no issues with drugs or alcohol

I have been witness to more Nicotine addiction, both smoking and vaping than alcoholism. Although I did lose a friend to alcoholism and prescription drug abuse who was driven to suicide because of it.

It's not drinking or drugs that is the problem. It is the life pressures that people use alcohol and drugs in which to escape.

Forum List

Back