Alcoholism

One of my best friends is a functioning alcoholic. She has pills she can take that will make her sick if she drinks, however she doesn’t take them because her excuse is she needs a shot that will have the same effect as the pills but it last for a month. Her insurance won’t cover the shot, so instead of taking her pills daily she does nothing and caves into the drinking urges she gets nearly everyday.
Vivitrol.

What's it to you, if i choose to die of something i like to do....? ~S~

I believe people have the right to live and die as they please.

Unfortunately, they usually negatively affect so many others lives in their freefall.

Thankfully that bug never got me and alcohol makes me sicker than can be. If it didn't I could see where one could become addicted very easily.

I have family members that are addicts and it is very hard on their children. Some went from alcohol to drugs and a few didn't survive into their 30's. One a younger cousin left behind a 2 year old son. Her addict boyfriend murdered her. Such a shame and a loss. She was a very pretty girl. Her son is an adult at this point and I have no clue how he turned out. My only nephew is forty now and he struggles daily to stay sober and clean (both of his parents started out drinking and went to drugs).

Thankfully that bug never got me and alcohol makes me sicker than can be. If it didn't I could see where one could become addicted very easily.

I have family members that are addicts and it is very hard on their children. Some went from alcohol to drugs and a few didn't survive into their 30's. One a younger cousin left behind a 2 year old son. Her addict boyfriend murdered her. Such a shame and a loss. She was a very pretty girl. Her son is an adult at this point and I have no clue how he turned out. My only nephew is forty now and he struggles daily to stay sober and clean (both of his parents started out drinking and went to drugs).

My ex sister in-law drank daily from the time she was a teenager, like my ex. She drank hard liquor, moved up in her career to where she called the shots and worked out of her home for the most part. She did other drugs but she alcohol was her thing. She had quit drinking and she and her partner had split up. She drove to her partner's home, shot her and then shot herself. Her car was found a few blocks away with 10 cell phones, guns and ammunition in the car. She fell into that tiny percentage that had a psychotic episode when she quit. She had made random phone calls to family members and made some paranoid statements.

Don't think the prospect of my ex quitting didn't scare the hell out of me.

What's the difference between an alcoholic and a drug addict?

An alcoholic will steal the $20 bill from your jacket.
A drug addict will steal the $20 bill from your jacket and then spend two hours helping you hunt for it.

What's the difference between an alcoholic and a drug addict?

An alcoholic will steal the $20 bill from your jacket.
A drug addict will steal the $20 bill from your jacket and then spend two hours helping you hunt for it.

There is truth in reality. hahahahaha

Has it affected you, a family member, loved one?

I've seen my share over the years.

Hope I don't regret this post.

Alcoholics do have a hard time, no doubt about it. A friend of mine who is now deceased got pinched for DUI and was given a choice between 30 days in jail or being condemned to 30 AA meetings. He took the latter as he would have lost his job if he had gone to jail. The tales he would tell about AA scared him straight. He never got busted again.

I'm a huge fan of beer, wine, brandy, rum, tequila, whiskey and gin. I have enough experience to know where my threshold is, in terms of exactly how many drinks I can pound before it will negatively effect my work performance the next day. I love and appreciate my job, which seems to check and balance my love of drinking.

I live a few minutes walking distance from bars, breweries and a liquor store. Sometimes I'll run out of drink around 10pm or something, think about walking to the liquor store on a resupply mission. The only thing that stops me is my passion for our company and the burning desire to grow better weed than our competitors. Weed helps too. I'll convince myself that I don't need another drink because I can smoke a bowl instead.

I was married for 10 years and lived with girlfriends for long stretches of time. In those circumstances you either have to be drinking partners or non-drinkers, doesn't work to have one of each. Now I live alone, and after my 2nd DUI I sold my truck and decided not to pursue getting my license back. Bicycle commuting ensures that I get 40 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week, and keeps the beer belly to a minimum.

I am an extreme introvert. I get a healthy amount of socialization at work, I like to hang with friends maybe twice a week, the rest of it is me time. It's a selfish life, a narcissistic life, and I am a selfish and narcissistic person, maybe that's why I like to feed my beer hole so often. Maybe I'll want to live with a woman again at some point in the future, at which point I'd probably need to stop drinking. But I'm really enjoying how stress-free my social life is right now. I've never been so at peace

What's your clean date, Larsky?
Not I. But the date is 08/23/19.

Good on your peep. It's a long haul. I work with addicts. They have more integrity than a whole lot of people once they have been in recovery awhile because they have to be.
Do you encounter resistance to AA because of the god overtones?

I've tried to explain a higher power does not need to be jesus. She's 4 months clean, but that's all.

Has it affected you, a family member, loved one?

I've seen my share over the years.

Hope I don't regret this post.

Started drinking at 14. I quit drinking in May 1994 after 40 years of heavy drinking. Going on 26 years of sobriety.

That is pure gold, Hossfly. Good for you.

I'm struggling everyday right now, with my brother who lives with me.

You kick your brother out..

He will probably die

I won't kick him out.

My wife and daughter joined Al-Anon and talked me into going to rehab. It worked. Al-Anon is for non-drinking family members. Here's a link.

Help and Hope for Families and Friends of Alcoholics
I am alanon. Friends, family...all either drunks or druggies. Now? Most are sober, but it was a bitch being around them. Hence...alanon.

MrG refused to go to AA. Said he tried it ONCE and once was enough. All the whining and talking about the booze they drank, etc...he said it made him want a drink worse than ever. So...he didn't go a second time. He did it cold turkey. That was not fun either to be around. But he did it. Been about 12 years or so now since he quit.

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

Going through it now. Not fun.

It is not a disease.

It takes commitment to become addicted to alcohol.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.

You are woefully misinformed. Alcoholics process alcohol in the body differently than normal people, When an alcoholic drinks, he/she develops the phenomenon of craving. It is a disease. Fortunately, they can get help at AA.

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

Going through it now. Not fun.

It is not a disease.

It takes commitment to become addicted to alcohol.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.

Yes, alcoholism is a disease and it is genetic. Someone can be sober for years and take one drink and fall back into drinking endlessly because it's not about whether a person drinks everyday but rather not being able to stop once you take that first drink.

My father was an alcoholic and his children suffer from the same disease. Some chose to stop drinking while others did not. It sounds like you're angry with your mother and that okay. You have every right to be angry.
Bullshit

It's always a choice

The problem with groups like AA is that they convince people they are powerless over booze.

Like I said my mother was an addict and all addicts are selfish

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alcoholics are powerless over alcohol. If they were not, they wouldn't be an alcoholic.

What's your clean date, Larsky?
Not I. But the date is 08/23/19.

Good on your peep. It's a long haul. I work with addicts. They have more integrity than a whole lot of people once they have been in recovery awhile because they have to be.
Do you encounter resistance to AA because of the god overtones?

I've tried to explain a higher power does not need to be jesus. She's 4 months clean, but that's all.

it’s very off putting because it paints AA as a soft religious cult. It doesn’t matter how many times someone tries to repackage “higher power” everyone knows what it means. That is probably the number 1 worry and resistance to those seeking help. A new term needs to be introduced as an alternative for those who roll their eyes and associate religion with weakness.

I'm not an alcoholic!

Fucking pieces of shit!

Eat a dick!

I'm sleepy...

bonzoo1.jpg

MrG refused to go to AA. Said he tried it ONCE and once was enough. All the whining and talking about the booze they drank, etc...he said it made him want a drink worse than ever. So...he didn't go a second time. He did it cold turkey. That was not fun either to be around. But he did it. Been about 12 years or so now since he quit.
I'm not an alcoholic!

Fucking pieces of shit!

Eat a dick!

I'm sleepy...

View attachment 295183

What a fantastic view.

New Topics

Forum List

Back