Alcoholism

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

Going through it now. Not fun.

Not fun is right!

You know... back when James and I married and still knew everything there was to know... this is the life we planned. Almost. It's almost perfect. Then it's this way instead.

I will never turn my back on him and I still haven't given up on hope and ideas. I still think of kicking his ass up around his elbows though.

And I have the best husband on the planet.
The difference between sober and drinking is overwhelming.

It's hard to have to view trust as anything less than second nature. I am guardedly optimistic.

It is terrible. And it is a disease. Nobody chooses to behave insanely. But it is manageable. Kudos to those who got in front of it, and those who support them.

It is not a disease.

It takes commitment to become addicted to alcohol.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.

It is not a disease.

In my experience ( my mother was an addict and it killed her) most addicts are nothing but selfish and narcissistic and when the world which they believe should be all about them doesn't live up to their expectations they drink or smoke or shoot up.
If it was only that simple. In most addicts, the inner hard wired pleasure and reward center of the brain gets hijacked, putting the drug or drink on top of the list ahead of food, shelter, sex, etc.

But at the end of the day, it's the addict's conscience decision alone that decides the outcome.

IMHO

It takes commitment to become addicted to alcohol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is not a disease.

It's a disease, start drinking vodka or whiskey for a week and then try to stop..

It is not a disease.

It's a disease, start drinking vodka or whiskey for a week and then try to stop..

I have

And it takes longer of daily drinking than a week to become addicted to alcohol

It is not a disease.

I have

LMFAO....no kid you haven't and you couldn't keep up with me either.

Started drinking at 14. I quit drinking in May 1994 after 40 years of heavy drinking. Going on 26 years of sobriety.

That is pure gold, Hossfly. Good for you.

I'm struggling everyday right now, with my brother who lives with me.

You kick your brother out..

He will probably die

I won't kick him out.

My wife and daughter joined Al-Anon and talked me into going to rehab. It worked. Al-Anon is for non-drinking family members. Here's a link.

Help and Hope for Families and Friends of Alcoholics

Yeah... I know, he's been drinking since he was very young and it seems we've tried everything in the years since. But thanks very much and any and all help should be posted anyhow.

I am so glad for you Hoss. I know it's hard to admit and quit.

I haven't tried a witch. Some kind of curse or something, lol.

Your brother has to want to be sober. He's not ready yet and he may never be. I'm sure you already know this. I recommend checking out Al-Anon as Hoss suggested. It will help you cope and also help you set boundaries. Good luck

It is not a disease.

Yes, alcoholism is a disease and it is genetic. Someone can be sober for years and take one drink and fall back into drinking endlessly because it's not about whether a person drinks everyday but rather not being able to stop once you take that first drink.

My father was an alcoholic and his children suffer from the same disease. Some chose to stop drinking while others did not. It sounds like you're angry with your mother and that okay. You have every right to be angry.

Still on the roller coaster. I was living the dream until Husband fell into the bottle. I stuck a few years and supported us, but he wasnt interested in working and he was getting violent. I finally bailed. Dealing with property settlement now and its ugly. Apparently Im the bad guy.

Alcoholism steals your loved ones and replaces them with hostile, clingy emational vampires. Prayers for you and yours.

All the best, Larsky. It will get better.

It is not a disease.

I have

LMFAO....no kid you haven't and you couldn't keep up with me either.
So it's not that alcoholism is a disease but rather that you think life is a drinking game

It is not a disease.

Yes, alcoholism is a disease and it is genetic. Someone can be sober for years and take one drink and fall back into drinking endlessly because it's not about whether a person drinks everyday but rather not being able to stop once you take that first drink.

My father was an alcoholic and his children suffer from the same disease. Some chose to stop drinking while others did not. It sounds like you're angry with your mother and that okay. You have every right to be angry.
Bullshit

It's always a choice

The problem with groups like AA is that they convince people they are powerless over booze.

Like I said my mother was an addict and all addicts are selfish

One of my best friends is a functioning alcoholic. She has pills she can take that will make her sick if she drinks, however she doesn’t take them because her excuse is she needs a shot that will have the same effect as the pills but it last for a month. Her insurance won’t cover the shot, so instead of taking her pills daily she does nothing and caves into the drinking urges she gets nearly everyday.

Has it affected you, a family member, loved one?

I've seen my share over the years.

Hope I don't regret this post.
My grandfathers, father, step-father, siblings, cousins, ex-husband and his siblings. My ex has stage 4 liver disease.

It's a journey. People, places, things.

Got a playlist?

Forum List

Back