Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect

i see construction as a job americans wont do? what the fuck? most construction workers would love to be back at work...mexicans have undercut the wages....mexicans will work for min. wage or less cause they will live 20 to a house ....there are stereotypes for a reason

o and those wages are not being used here....go to a western union on friday and watch them wire that money out of the country into mexico

I find this canard more than just a little annoying:

Intended to force illegal workers out of jobs, it is also driving away many construction workers, roofers and field hands in the country legally who do backbreaking jobs that Americans generally won't.

That myth, ladies and gents, is complete forking poppycock!

There is no job that American's won't generally do.

There are plenty of jobs that Americans won't generally do for less than prevailing wages, however.

And employers who refuse to pay prevailing wages can do so because illegal immigrants WILL DO THOSE JOBS for less than prevailing wages.

Thus these illegals drive DOWN the value of labor in this nation.

To pretend that that is not happening is to deny one of the the basic tenents of economics.

When labor is scarce, wages go up.

When labor is plentiful, wages stagnate or go down.

The presence of illegal workers, even if they simply take jobs at prevailing labor rates, stagnate or drive down wages.

And as illegals are usually willing to work under the table for less money, they are

1. driving down wages; and

2. Conspiring with their employers to DEFRAUD THE GOVERNMENT.

Let's stop kidding outselves, shall we?

There are no jobs that Americans won't do.

There are, however, rates of wages that Americans cannot AFFORD To work for.

And those depressed wage levels exist in large part because of the illegal workers are driving DOWN the overall value of labor.

Last edited:
I find this canard more than just a little annoying:

Intended to force illegal workers out of jobs, it is also driving away many construction workers, roofers and field hands in the country legally who do backbreaking jobs that Americans generally won't.

That myth, ladies and gents, is complete forking poppycock!

There is no job that American's won't generally do.

There are plenty of jobs that Americans won't generally do for less than prevailing wages, however.

And employers who refuse to pay prevailing wages can do so because illegal immigrants WILL DO THOSE JOBS for less than prevailing wages.

Thus these illegals drive DOWN the value of labor in this nation.

To pretend that that is not happening is to deny one of the the basic tenents of economics.

When labor is scarce, wages go up.

When labor is plentiful, wages stagnate or go down.

The presence of illegal workers, even if they simply take jobs at prevailing labor rates, stagnate or drive down wages.

And as illegals are usually willing to work under the table for less money, they are

1. driving down wages; and

2. Conspiring with their employers to DEFRAUD THE GOVERNMENT.

Let's stop kidding outselves, shall we?

There are no jobs that Americans won't do.

There are, however, rates of wages that Americans cannot AFFORD To work for.

And those depressed wage levels exist in large part because of the illegal workers are driving DOWN the overall value of labor.

I agree in large part wth you but this thing illegals work into the best interest of the companies and also why are the LEGALS moving?

It will certainly be interesting to see if the employers pony up and start paying wages that will attract Americans.

Ala. loses workers as immigration law takes effect - Yahoo! News

Remember, this law has forced away LEGAL residents, LEGAL residents, dumb ass Republicans.

Many legal Hispanic workers are fleeing the state because their family and friends don't have the proper papers and they fear they will be jailed.
Legal workers are fleeing because their friends or family are illegal. Too fucking bad.

Boatwright said only eight of the 48 Hispanic workers she needed for harvest showed up after the law took effect. Those who did were frightened.

"My husband and I take them to the grocery store at night and shop for them because they are afraid they will be arrested," she said.
For some strange reason, she doesn't mention their legal status. If they are illegal, again, too fucking bad.

Cristian Gonzalez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico, is a stay-at-home mother of four who lives in a mobile home in suburban Birmingham with her husband. They sneaked across the border in 2009 and planned to save money and eventually return to their home country.

"We're afraid to go to Walmart. I'm afraid to walk the kids up there to get the bus. I am afraid to drive," Gonzalez said.
you're here illegally. You should be afraid.
Out of 34,000 Hispanic students, 2,285 were absent Monday. That number increased from Friday by a few hundred.
Good. Fewer illegal students means more teachers and more resources for legal residents, both natural and immigrant.

Remember, this law has forced away LEGAL residents, LEGAL residents, dumb ass Republicans.

Nobody "forced" them.

moran

Sure they did... Republicans with guns ran up to Hispanics in WalMart, pointed guns to their heads (while clinging to a Bible), and said 'If you have friends or family who are here illegally, you best leave before I put a bullet in your cabesa, comprede?' :rolleyes:

Nobody "forced" them.

moran

Sure they did... Republicans with guns ran up to Hispanics in WalMart, pointed guns to their heads (while clinging to a Bible), and said 'If you have friends or family who are here illegally, you best leave before I put a bullet in your cabesa, comprede?' :rolleyes:

:lol:

Anyone worried about getting in trouble for legally working is involved, closely with illegals, and are therefore criminals themselves. But the only way to prove that would be for people to start ratting on each other.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the employers pony up and start paying wages that will attract Americans.

I will certainly be interesting to see if American workers pony up and start working instead of living off the government. Funny, in Georgia crops are ruining but unemployment is over 10%. 99 weeks is a long time.

True story.

If that wasn't the most biased article I've ever read! This is proof that strong immigration language in laws work! Congratulations, Alabama!

A large part of the illegal population here in Alabama find seasonal work in agriculture. The USDA has a program in place to legally fill those jobs. Farmers needing temporary workers should know well in advance of their need and can avail themselves of H-2A. Those that choose not to, should pay the fines called for under current law.

H-2A Program

The H-2A temporary agricultural program establishes a means for agricultural employers who anticipate a shortage of domestic workers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or services of a temporary or seasonal nature. Before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) can approve an employer's petition for such workers, the employer must file an application with the Department of Labor stating there are not sufficient workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available, and the employment of aliens will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

Last edited:
A large part of the illegal population here in Alabama find seasonal work in agriculture. The USDA has a program in place to legally fill those jobs. Farmers needing temporary workers should know well in advance of their need and can avail themselves of H-2A. Those that choose not to, should pay the fines called for under current law.

H-2A Program

The H-2A temporary agricultural program establishes a means for agricultural employers who anticipate a shortage of domestic workers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers to the U.S. to perform agricultural labor or services of a temporary or seasonal nature. Before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) can approve an employer's petition for such workers, the employer must file an application with the Department of Labor stating there are not sufficient workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available, and the employment of aliens will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

There's the kicker, huh. They do not avail themselves of H-2A, because if they did, then it would affect the wages of similarly employed US workers.

H-2A Program

There's the kicker, huh. They do not avail themselves of H-2A, because if they did, then it would affect the wages of similarly employed US workers.

Up to a point... Farmers are allowed to charge for housing and food, so the net pay is pretty low.

Hispanic citizens and legal residents pick up and leave not only if there is a mixed status household but because they put up with enough nonsense already from authorities because of their skin color and now racial profiling is sanctioned so they don't want to be harrassed for the color of their skin every time they turn around simply because some jack booted thug thinks they are illegal..it is easier to just move.
Alabama's strict new immigration law may be backfiring. Intended to force illegal workers out of jobs, it is also driving away many construction workers, roofers and field hands in the country legally who do backbreaking jobs that Americans generally won't.

here is an example of what I just said

Rick Pate, the owner of a commercial landscaping company in Montgomery, lost two of his most experienced workers, who were in the country legally. He spent thousands of dollars training them to install irrigation systems at places like the Hyundai plant.

"They just feel like there is a negative atmosphere for them here. They don't feel welcome. I don't begrudge them. I'd feel nervous, too," Pate said.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back