Al Gore is an idiot

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Im listening to clips of him on Oprah telling us he tried to plant a live Christmas tree to "save it"

Hello?! It doesnt have roots. Any idiot know you cant replant a tree thats been cut off from its roots.

This is the man who was almost President! Thanks God for Florida!

no he said the reason it failed was because it didnt have any roots. which a 3rd grader could tell you.

In an alternate, parallel universe where you're all Democrats and I'm a Republican, Gore did win the elections. In said universe there are theories that bin Laden pulled off 9/11 (or it didn't happen).

But yeah, the man's missing a few marbles.

Between Gore and Kerry it's hard to determine which is more stupid than the other. And the dems/press call Bush a moron...geeeezzz Were we lucky or was it a case of divine providence that neither of these dullards won the Presidency?

Bush isn't stupid. He is of average intelligence. He also isn't an eloquent speaker when put into a tight spot or in public. The latter is a normal thing among people. Some people would rather be dead than speak in public.

God has blessed us with our President Bush, who is wise, resolute, unwavering, no flip-flopper, and has protected us from terrorists as a result. He also had the wisdom of picking our Vice President Cheney, who is also a very wise man and an expert on oil companies. Idiot Gore would have made Bin Laden the Secretary of State. But who in the GOP has the wisdom of our President and Vice President, for 2008?

God has blessed us with our President Bush, who is wise, resolute, unwavering, no flip-flopper, and has protected us from terrorists as a result. He also had the wisdom of picking our Vice President Cheney, who is also a very wise man and an expert on oil companies. Idiot Gore would have made Bin Laden the Secretary of State. But who in the GOP has the wisdom of our President and Vice President, for 2008?

Who in the DNC has even half THAT?

that is like bying a butter ball turkey then building a turkey pen with water and food to try to nurse it back to health.......

A living Christmas tree is not all that unusual. You can use a potted tree (even one 4+ feet tall), and AlGore has experience working with things potted.

You can also dig up a tree, wrap its root ball in burlap and plant it again later if you keep the roots moist and don’t take too long in replanting it. Landscapers do this all the time- even with trees that are 20+ feet tall. Of course the taller the tree the bigger the root ball and the higher the price.

I am all in favor of criticizing the likes of AlGore, but I insist that the criticism be deserved and based on facts.

A living Christmas tree is not all that unusual. You can use a potted tree (even one 4+ feet tall), and AlGore has experience working with things potted.

You can also dig up a tree, wrap its root ball in burlap and plant it again later if you keep the roots moist and don’t take too long in replanting it. Landscapers do this all the time- even with trees that are 20+ feet tall. Of course the taller the tree the bigger the root ball and the higher the price.

I am all in favor of criticizing the likes of AlGore, but I insist that the criticism be deserved and based on facts.

You insist, huh? Who the FUCK are you?

al gore said the tree had no roots....he bought a tree with no roots....it had been cut down...it was dead.....it had no roots....it was dead...he tried to plant a dead tree.....this man was "your president"...fits really

al gore said the tree had no roots....he bought a tree with no roots....it had been cut down...it was dead.....it had no roots....it was dead...he tried to plant a dead tree.....this man was "your president"...fits really

I have not seen any of the clips from Oprah, so the only people I know who have said AlGore’s Christmas tree has no roots are the people here who are complaining about AlGore. Like I said before, I am in favor of bashing the likes of AlGore- when the bashing is warranted. If you bash just for the sake of bashing you are no better than a Rush Limbaugh. I am not in favor of bashing for entertainment’s sake.

Here are a few of "Al Gores Greatest Hits"

Environmental Trendiness (and Hypocrisy)
In the past, Al Gore has made his environmental positions a big part of his message, notably in his book "Earth in the Balance", which sold well. We don't critique candidates' policy positions, but some of that may come back to haunt him by making him look extreme, trendy or hypocritical.

Gore runs the risk of being shown up as a hypocrite, the way Mike Dukakis was in 1998 after Boston Harbor's pollution problem was exposed.

One example is the Pigeon River in North Carolina and east Tennesee. The Champion International paper mill has pumped tons of chemicals and byproducts into it for years, turning it the color of cofee and adding a sulfurish smell. Gore campaigned hard against this pollution and lobbied the EPA to crack down. But in 1987, as Gore started running for president the first time, he was pressured by 2 politicians whose support he craved for the North Carolina Super Tuesday primary. Terry Sanford (then a Senator) and Jamie Clarke (North Carolina congressmen) lobbied him hard to ease up on Champion. Gore did, writing to the EPA again and now asking for a more permissive water pollution standard. Sanford and Clarke endorsed him, and Gore won the state handily.

Another example is a Gore family property that has been mined for zinc and germanium for decades. The Vice-President and his dad, the late Senator Albert Gore, Sr., obtained the land in a very favorable deal with the late Armand Hammer of Occidental Petroleum. Gore, Sr. was heavily supported by Hammer financially, and carried his water in the U.S. Senate.

Back in 1972, when zinc was discovered across the river from the Gore family land in Carthage, TN, Hammer sent engineers out and offered $20,000 per year for a mineral rights lease on some property owned by a church that had been willed the land. Instead, they wanted to sell and Hammer won a bidding war to buy the land for $160,000. He then sold it to Gore Jr. and Sr. for the same amount, and immediately started leasing the land back from him for the same $20,000. Lynwood Burkhalter, who in the 70s was president of the company that assumed this lease from Occidental Petroleum, called the payments "extraordinarily large."

Mining is, of course, a very messy business environmentally. The mine itself hasn't been that bad. Republicans have claimed that it's polluting the local drinking water, but according to the Wall Street Journal those problems "are actually very minor." However, the Journal notes that the plant in Clarksville TN, which processes the Gore minerals, is a federal Superfund site contaminated with cadmium and mercury, posing "a threat to the human food chain."

There's also a damning quote about cutting down Yew trees to make a promising cancer treatment that we used to include in our Gore quotes section. Except that the really embarrassing part -- which we got from an editorial in the Austin, Texas American Statesman -- turns out to be distorted and out of context. The full quote, which is still a little odd, is:

"The Pacific Yew can be cut down and processed to produce a potent chemical, taxol, which offers some promise of curing certain forms of lung, breast and ovarian cancer in patients who would otherwise quickly die. It seems an easy choice -- sacrifice the tree for a human life -- until one learns that three trees must be destroyed for each patient treated, that only specimens more than a hundred years old contain the potent chemical in their bark, and that there are very few of these yews remaining on earth." - Gore, in "Earth in the Balance", p. 119

The distorted version puts a period after "for each patient treated," as if the ratio of trees to humans was what bothered Gore. In reality, his point is that treating all current cancer patients would destroy all of the trees, leaving none of the drug for future cancer patients.

Liar Liar Pants on Fire
Most people feel that all politicians lie, but all Gore has a particular way of stretching the truth. He's actually more of a braggart who consistently exaggerates his role in the successful things he does. There are actually two sides of his truth deficit; the highly publicized tendency to exaggerate, and (what we feel is) the more serious problem of evasion.

The most famous example of exaggerating, of course, is that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet", but this is hardly an isolated example. When the LINUX and open-source computing movements reached their maximum trendiness, hidden text in his web page -- visible to knowledge computer users with the "View Source" command -- proclaimed that his web page was an Open Source web page and invited users to contribute to it. For anyone knowledgeable on the subjects, and even for some boneheads like this editor, that is a ludicrous statement that combines bragging and idiot ignorance in equal measure.

Then there is Gore's claim to have uncovered the most famous toxic waste site in the country. As a young congressman in the late 1970s, he said, "I found a little place in upstate New York called Love Canal." (It's a neighborhood in upstate New York that was disastrously polluted by an old underground chemical dump.)

Now each of these claims has some element of truth to it, and his opponents -- and even the newspapers, in the Love Canal case -- have exaggerated or misquoted him. Gore did support the Internet early on as a congressman -- it's fair to say that he took the initiative *among congressmen* -- and even Vincent Cerf, the computer scientist who is in fact considered "the father of the Internet", says "It is entirely fitting that the Vice President take some credit for helping create an environment in which (the) Internet could thrive." And Gore did hold the first federal hearings on Love Canal. But both the Internet and the Love Canal scandal were established and well known before Gore ever heard of them.

Plus, the slips continue. Frankly, I can't understand the controversy over the family dog's medication price -- the dog does take it, and it costs less than it does for his mother in law. But Gore recently (on September 18, 2000) told a union meeting that his parents sung him to sleep with lullabies such as "Look for the union label" -- a song that was written as a jingle for a union ad in 1975, when Gore was 27.

Gore's consistent pattern of exaggeration highlights two of his worst traits. First, he is simply out of touch, swamped by that Washington culture that thinks it is the source of all new and good in America and unable to understand the real world outside. And second, you can hear the cocky arrogance in his voice in his statement about Love Canal. When he says the words "little place", you can feel him struggling to contain his pleasure with his good deeds.

But more troubling to us is Gore's tendency to evade questions about his ethical lapses. Some of these are legalisms where he is actually correct, but has such a tin ear for the way normal people talk that he sounds like a mafia don. For example, his infamous line about "no controlling legal authority" is the most accurate way of describing the law on the picky point of where fundraising phone calls are made from. But he's so out of touch with normal folk that he probably didn't realize how weaselly that sounded.

The more serious examples concern the Buddhist temple fundraising, where he repeatedly changed his story about whether that event was considered a fundraiser. Apparently what he was trying to say was that he knew it was a reward for people who had given money, but that technically the event itself was not a fundraiser. This is fairly typical in our current corrupt system. But when you can't answer a question directly, folks naturally wonder if there is more going on. No one has been able to prove anything yet, but neither can Gore explain himself.

Worst of all are his evasions that simply aren't credible, such as his statement that he didn't hear discussion about fundraising proceeds going illegally into a "hard money" fund because he drank a lot of iced tea and often had to go to the bathroom

Quotes
"He goes 'I'm a really big fan.' And I was like 'Yeah, right. Name a song, Al.' The answer came limply back: 'I can't name a song, I'm just a really big fan.'" - Courtney Love of the rock band "Hole"
"Throughout most of my life, I raised tobacco. I want you to know that with my own hands, all of my life, I put it in the plant beds and transferred it. I've hoed it. I've chopped it. I've shredded it, spiked it, put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it." -- Al Gore, 1988

"Sometimes, you never fully face up to things that you ought to face up to." -- Al Gore, discussing tobacco

http://www.realchange.org/gore.htm#pollution

New Topics

Forum List

Back