Al Gore criticized for serving threatened fish species at daughter's wedding

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago
There's not many people in the US who is more of a hypocrite than Al Gore...

Gore's message loses bite
By Rebecca Keeble

July 18, 2007 12:00am

ONLY one week after Live Earth, Al Gore's green credentials slipped while hosting his daughter's wedding in Beverly Hills.

Gore and his guests at the weekend ceremony dined on Chilean sea bass - arguably one of the world's most threatened fish species...

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22090734-5001031,00.html

mmmm....Chilean Sea Bass....sooo yummy.

I'm not going to jump on the bash Gore bandwagon on this one...he isn't out there saying, "No one should eat fish that are being overfished due to high demand." Of course, amusingly there was no high demand until they changed the fishs' name, apparently Patagonian Toothfish just doesn't sound as tasty.

Then again...Chilean Sea Bass was one of the options the caterer offered for my wedding...I turned it down because of the over-fishing issue and went with salmon instead...and I'm no world-renowned environmentalist. ;)

I'm not going to jump on the bash Gore bandwagon on this one...he isn't out there saying, "No one should eat fish that are being overfished due to high demand." Of course, amusingly there was no high demand until they changed the fishs' name, apparently Patagonian Toothfish just doesn't sound as tasty.

Then again...Chilean Sea Bass was one of the options the caterer offered for my wedding...I turned it down because of the over-fishing issue and went with salmon instead...and I'm no world-renowned environmentalist. ;)

was your salmon ................ line or net caught or god forbid farmed

also chilean sea bas is not endangered

http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/fs/2002/8989.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/07/19/eagore119.xml

Al Gore's fish dinner turns out green

By Catherine Elsworth
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 19/07/2007

Al Gore, the world's most high profile green campaigner, was at the centre of an embarrassing row yesterday after the serving of a rare fish at his daughter's Beverly Hills wedding.

Model of a Patagonian toothfish or Chilean sea bass - Al Gore served 'endangered fish' at daughter's wedding
Model of a Patagonian toothfish or Chilean sea bass

Just one week after Live Earth, his global musical spectacular to raise awareness of environmental issues, the former vice-president attended a rehearsal dinner for his daughter's marriage that featured Chilean sea bass. Sarah Gore, 28, a medical student, was married to the Los Angeles businessman Bill Lee at the Beverly Hills Hotel on July 14.

The night before the wedding, People magazine reported, the Gores were at a dinner for 75 at the nearby Crustacean restaurant where a six-course tasting menu included Chilean sea bass - also known as Patagonian toothfish.

The reaction was swift: writing in in the Australian Daily Telegraph, Rebecca Keeble of Humane Society International, a conservation pressure group, complained of the danger to the species from "from illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing activities".

She noted that "more than 50 per cent of toothfish traded is illegally caught, and includes juveniles vital to the ongoing toothfish population". She called on the US government to help crack down on illegal fishing by sanctioning Spain for allowing its nationals to fish illegally for the species in conservation areas.
advertisement

And in the meantime, she acidly suggested, "Al Gore could choose something else to eat". Her attack on the former vice-president, and his implied hypocrisy, were rapidly picked up by bloggers around the world.

But the fish enjoyed by the Gores were not endangered or illegally caught.

Rather, the restaurant later confirmed, they had come from one of the world's few well-managed, sustainable populations of toothfish, and caught and documented in compliance with Marine Stewardship Council regulations. The Gores' spokesman, Kalee Kreider, admitted that the fish has been on the menu, but said: "The Gores absolutely agree with this humane society and the rest of the environmental community about illegally caught Chilean sea bass.

"The problem is huge. This is unfortunate, we have been in touch with the society today. The really important thing is that people become more aware of this issue."

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22090734-5001031,00.html

Ooops:

Attacks on Gore backfire. Yesterday, conservatives across the blogosphere, citing a People magazine article and a poorly-researched Austrailian Daily Telegraph article, smeared Al Gore by claiming that he ate Chilean Sea Bass — a threatened species – at a rehearsal dinner for his daughter’s wedding. Attempting to paint Gore as an environmental hypocrite, BlogsForBush, NewsBusters, and others expressed outrage over the hypocrisy. But, as the Telegraph reports today, “Al Gore’s fish dinner turns out green“:

[T]he fish enjoyed by the Gores were not endangered or illegally caught.

Rather, the restaurant later confirmed, they had come from one of the world’s few well-managed, sustainable populations of toothfish, and caught and documented in compliance with Marine Stewardship Council regulations

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/07/19/eagore119.xml

Good to know there is such a place. I LOVE Chilean Sea Bass. I guess the place where he got his sea bass was a bit out of my price range. ;)

Ooops:

Attacks on Gore backfire. Yesterday, conservatives across the blogosphere, citing a People magazine article and a poorly-researched Austrailian Daily Telegraph article, smeared Al Gore by claiming that he ate Chilean Sea Bass — a threatened species – at a rehearsal dinner for his daughter’s wedding. Attempting to paint Gore as an environmental hypocrite, BlogsForBush, NewsBusters, and others expressed outrage over the hypocrisy. But, as the Telegraph reports today, “Al Gore’s fish dinner turns out green“:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../eagore119.xml

Whoo hoooooooooey.......

The lame steam media comes to the defense of Al Bore......NO SUCH THING AS.......LIBERAL BIAS IN THE MEDIA........

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nope there sure is not, the only one that comes to mind as a bigger hipocrit would be Edwards. Those to make quite the team for the Democratic Party.

Pretty Boy has become a Poverty Pimp. Talking about how rotten things are in America as he lives in a new 30,000 sq ft mansion and makes millions talking about poverty in Amercia

The sad thing is - alot of libs are falling for it

Pretty Boy has become a Poverty Pimp. Talking about how rotten things are in America as he lives in a new 30,000 sq ft mansion and makes millions talking about poverty in Amercia

The sad thing is - alot of libs are falling for it

Now now....we shouldn't pick on the pretty boy...

He only owns these two homes...

Edwards-1.jpg

And Al Bore only owns this...

zinc2.gif

But.......I'm willing to give up my itty bitty lifestyle for these GODS...den't ya naw iiiitttt....

:rofl:

Is that the Two America's Pretty Boy is always talking about?

I can see hiim thinking about the "poor" as he sits beside his poll sipping a martini, watching his hedge funds increase in value on his laptop

Buying Meat Worse For Environment Than SUVs
By Noel Sheppard | July 19, 2007 - 14:56 ET
Forget about carbon credits. SUV owners should just stop buying meat, and all their enviro-guilt will disappear faster than a Big Mac placed in front of former President Bill Clinton.

Such was the finding of a Japanese study published by Blackwell Synergy's Animal Science Journal, and reported at New Scientist Wednesday (emphasis added throughout):

A kilogram of beef is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions and other pollution than driving for 3 hours while leaving all the lights on back home.

For those reaching for their metric calculators, a kilogram is about 2.2 pounds, the amount of steak a relatively health conscious family of four might consume at dinner with a variety of yummy side dishes:

This is among the conclusions of a study by Akifumi Ogino of the National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science in Tsukuba, Japan, and colleagues, which has assessed the effects of beef production on global warming, water acidification and eutrophication, and energy consumption. The team looked at calf production, focusing on animal management and the effects of producing and transporting feed. By combining this information with data from their earlier studies on the impact of beef fattening systems, the researchers were able to calculate the total environmental load of a portion of beef.

Their analysis showed that producing a kilogram of beef leads to the emission of greenhouse gases with a warming potential equivalent to 36.4 kilograms of carbon dioxide. It also releases fertilising compounds equivalent to 340 grams of sulphur dioxide and 59 grams of phosphate, and consumes 169 megajoules of energy (Animal Science Journal, DOI: 10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00457.x). In other words, a kilogram of beef is responsible for the equivalent of the amount of CO2 emitted by the average European car every 250 kilometres, and burns enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for nearly 20 days.

For those metrically challenged, 250 kilometers is about 155 miles:

Most of the greenhouse gas emissions are in the form of methane released from the animals' digestive systems, while the acid and fertilising substances come primarily from their waste. Over two-thirds of the energy goes towards producing and transporting the animals' feed.

With this in mind, maybe Al Gore should do some concerts to save cattle, and get sycophants Laurie David and Sheryl Crow to tour college campuses extolling the benefits of vegetarianism.

Stay tuned.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/buying-meat-worse-environment-suvs.html

I'm not going to jump on the bash Gore bandwagon on this one...he isn't out there saying, "No one should eat fish that are being overfished due to high demand."

actually he is, by preaching to everyone to conserve wildlife. He is a hypocrite because he uses 27x more energy than the average consumer and he ate an endangered species.

New Topics

Forum List

Back