*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Panel disqualifies both District 54 candidates
Democratic Party may handpick a nominee
Friday, August 25, 2006
BOB JOHNSON
The Associated Press
MONTGOMERY - A Democratic Party committee Thursday night disqualified an openly gay candidate for the Alabama Legislature and the woman she defeated in the primary runoff because both women violated a party rule that party officials said no other candidate has obeyed since 1988.

The committee voted 5-0 to disqualify House District 54 candidate Patricia Todd, who was attempting to become the state's first openly gay legislator, and Gaynell Hendricks.

Committee chairwoman Amy Burks said earlier Thursday the party's executive committee would make the final decision and select a nominee for the Birmingham seat at a meeting in Montgomery Saturday.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1156498102183020.xml&coll=2

I don't have a problem with disqualifing candidates for not following the rulse, but the bylaw that they used is one that hasn't been enforced since 1988. I am by no means an advocate for gay rights, but this just isn't kosher. No wonder the Democratic Party is in such a mess.

In your opinion, and mine as well. Does it disqualify you from serving in the legislature?

Absolutely it does, if you are willing to make such a reckless choice with your life, the most important thing you have control over, what do you think she'd do in office?

Demos are in an absolute freefall, no doubt about it.

Absolutely it does, if you are willing to make such a reckless choice with your life, the most important thing you have control over, what do you think she'd do in office?

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Being gay is reckless? This is your opinion and shouldn't be mistaken for fact.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Being gay is reckless? This is your opinion and shouldn't be mistaken for fact.

Are you really so clueless? Homosexual acts are VERY destructive to one's life. See also: Drug Addiction, Food Addiction, Hunting with the Vice President.

Who was Todd running against ("Somebody" Hendricks) & was she openly gay, too? What about Lucy Baxley & Jim Folsom? Are they openly gay? I can't access the rest of this article, but it seems like there's something else at play here. I mean BESIDES the media throwing in the "poor, downtrodden gay" information to get readers all riled up.

Wow. You guys sure have a litmus test for candidates. I’m curious. To what extent do you think that a gay person should not serve in government? Imagine a candidate who is pro-capital punishment, pro-military, anti-abortion, and wants to lower taxes. Imagine him being Conservative/Republican on nearly every issue except he is gay and he supports civil unions for gay couples. Could you see yourself voting for him under any circumstances?

This is just a simple, honest, straightforward question. I just want to know how incredibly bigoted and prejudicial you are.

Wow. You guys sure have a litmus test for candidates. I’m curious. To what extent do you think that a gay person should not serve in government? Imagine a candidate who is pro-capital punishment, pro-military, anti-abortion, and wants to lower taxes. Imagine him being Conservative/Republican on nearly every issue except he is gay and he supports civil unions for gay couples. Could you see yourself voting for him under any circumstances?

This is just a simple, honest, straightforward question. I just want to know how incredibly bigoted and prejudicial you are.

Huh, "bigoted and prejudicial"..............you've already lost the argument.

In no way would I vote for a queer candidate no matter what their positions are.

Actually the Democratic party is the culprit here, they threw her out of the game so to speak. So much for diversity and tolerance:confused:

AH! That makes more sense.
article said:
Todd was poised to become Alabama's first openly gay legislator after she beat Hendricks by 59 votes in a July 18 runoff. Hendricks' mother-in-law, Mattie Childress, challenged Todd's nomination, claiming Todd had violated a rule by failing to file her financial disclosure with the party chair.

So, it was sour grapes by Hendricks that got this whole thing started, kinda like an Al Gore thing, except she actually got her opponent kicked out for winning.

Yeah, I had a feeling the "gay card" was just tossed out there to incite the masses.

Huh, "bigoted and prejudicial"..............you've already lost the argument.

In no way would I vote for a queer candidate no matter what their positions are.

It was not an argument. It was a question. Anyway, though I’m disappointed with the answer that you gave, I’m impressed that you were not evasive but actually gave a “straight” answer. :eek:

Why exactly would we vote for him when we can vote for a pro capital punishment, pro military, pro lifer against taxes who isn't gay?

And what man would be stupid enough to run in favor of gay unions on a Republican ticket?

AH! That makes more sense.

So, it was sour grapes by Hendricks that got this whole thing started, kinda like an Al Gore thing, except she actually got her opponent kicked out for winning.

Yeah, I had a feeling the "gay card" was just tossed out there to incite the masses.

The sour grapes were because she was gay. Hendrick's campaign was all about her oppenents sexual preference. Hendrick's campaign played the "gay card" and had it trumped by 59 votes. The AL Democratic party used an archaic bylaw that hasn't been enforced since 1988. I am by no means a supporter of gay rights, but if she won, she won. The people of District 54 voted her and thats what should matter.

Why exactly would we vote for him when we can vote for a pro capital punishment, pro military, pro lifer against taxes who isn't gay?

You probably would not vote for him when there is a pro-capital punishment, pro-military, pro-lifer against taxes, who isn’t gay. I was presenting a hypothetical situation with limited options in order for me to find out how bigoted and prejudicial some people are. Could you see yourself voting for him under any circumstances?

And what man would be stupid enough to run in favor of gay unions on a Republican ticket?

Some people run on principal even if they think that the principal is unpopular. I’m reminded of that old cliché, “To thine own self be true”. I think that there is a group called the “Log Cabin Republicans” consisting of “pro gay” Republicans. Some people see the Republican Party as being the party with positions and platforms most closely matching their own. On the other hand, Joe Lieberman supports the Democrats on several positions but he seems to also support Bush’s position on the Iraq war to a strong degree. I think that this is why he lost the Democrat ticket.

Forum List

Back