Airlines in crisis: mass shortage in pilots/staff

The destruction of the United States began on January 20, 1981, with the inauguration of Ronald Reagan.

The Republican Party, with help from the corporate controlled moderate Democrats, has been chipping away at our democracy ever since.

The trump administration nearly provided the final deathblow during it's single term of corrupt incompetence. Sadly, they will see their task completed shortly after the 2022 Mid-term elections when the Q-lunatics, elected by the trump Nazis and right-wing centrists, take control of Congress.

LOL...you're going to lose Congress because you elected the village idiot, Joe Biden, as President and you're letting The Squad call the shots in Congress! That has nothing to do with Republicans, Bertram and EVERYTHING to do with liberal policies that don't work? Defund the police? Seriously? Bought groceries or gas lately? We've got runaway inflation because the people that you put into power don't understand basic Economics 101! Take your "Nazi" bullshit and shove it up your ass!

Bus drives make more than pilots, and get better hours. They just changed jobs during the slowdown and many won't come back for the shitty schedules and crappy management mentality, same as many other 'skilled' labor laid off a long time ago is all. Let the lazy ass whiney shareholders fly their own planes if they want the money. MAybe they can get the government to train their employees for them like the trucking industry has for decades, then treat them like garbage and run them off as fast as they can. There must be 20 CDLs issued for every truck in the U.S. by now, so do the same for the airline industry.

Last edited:
Look...I'm telling you about the trip from hell that I had. I booked flights. They were cancelled. I rebooked flights. They were cancelled. I had to stay at a hotel at the airport overnight. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner at that same airport waiting for a flight with another airline that was delayed because they didn't have a viable flight crew. I sat on the tarmac for a total of two and a half hours because they had a shortage of ground crews to service the plane. When you go to an airline counter with a problem these days instead of ten people behind that counter to help you there are two and there's a line out the door waiting to see them. It's a horror show if anything goes wrong. They have no back ups to anything and every flight seems packed with people. I wouldn't travel at the moment if they gave me a free ticket! It's seriously that bad!

I'm not saying you didn't have a shitty experience. I'm just relating what a friend of mine; a friend who would absolutely know, has told me.

As for the numbers of people behind the counters, more often that not those are flight attendants. You'll see them at the ticket counter. A little while later they'll be at your gate. Next thing you know, they're asking what you'd like to drink after you've reached cruising altitude.

I took my first flight, on Eastern Airlines, back in 1971, and I don't think I've ever seen ten people behind a ticket counter...

Maybe the airline could provide an incentive for getting trainees like a big sign on bonus.

I'm not saying you didn't have a shitty experience. I'm just relating what a friend of mine; a friend who would absolutely know, has told me.

As for the numbers of people behind the counters, more often that not those are flight attendants. You'll see them at the ticket counter. A little while later they'll be at your gate. Next thing you know, they're asking what you'd like to drink after you've reached cruising altitude.

I took my first flight, on Eastern Airlines, back in 1971, and I don't think I've ever seen ten people behind a ticket counter...
Do you even fly? I've been flying for the past forty years. When you used to go to any major airport and visit the counter of a major airline there would be lots of agents behind the counter. Not flight attendants...AGENTS! Now there are a handful.

A Captain with American Airlines can make about $350K a year.

Who's paying bus drivers that much?

The average is $102,000 a year; those with union representation make more and skew the average way up. Most pilots make less. But hey, a lot of truck drivers calim they make $200K a year. Everybody's 'Speshul' on the inernetz. All the stock market gamblers online make 40,000% returns every week as well.

They're claiming that, too; what they really mean is they can't find enough crooked mechanics willing to cheat customers blind.
Most mechanics I know of do not interact with customers. They usually work for shops and dealerships who have service writers.

-Many pilots are getting laid off/quitting because of vax mandates.

-Airlines are having trouble hiring new pilots because of vax mandates.

Good luck flying everyone without experiencing mass delays!
Lol, lefties will probably come up with all kinds of reasons why there is a shortage, but they will NEVER be able to connect vax mandates to the shortage or anything bad. Lefties would watch the airline industry and all the jobs that go with it crumble before considering the notion that vax mandates have anything to do with the shortage.

Do you even fly?

Do you even comprehend?

Yes, that was the point of me mentioning my first flight in 1971. I thought the intent was pretty obvious...

I've been flying for the past forty years.

Cute.

50 here...

When you used to go to any major airport and visit the counter of a major airline there would be lots of agents behind the counter.

There would be no more agents than terminals, and those agents are your flight crews. Surely, through your extensive flying career, you've noticed that the woman handing you your boarding pass and the woman serving your drinks is one in the same...

Not flight attendants...AGENTS! Now there are a handful.

Once upon a time, airlines had job-specific ticketing agents. Then they discovered they could save money by having the flight attendants do the ticketing...

05.jpg

Well what do you expect from a group of airline pilots? Do you expected them to do great artwork like Michael Angelo or Hunter Biden?
Pretty sure that clumsy photoshop was not done by the pilots in that picture.

Forum List

Back