Air Transportation these days...sucks, big time

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just got back from Europe. It took me 30 hours to get from Pittsburgh to Prague, and 21 hours to get from Paris back to Pittsburgh.

I had four cancelled flights, lost baggage, several delayed flights (basically all of them), and spent several hours in the cattle-calls that pass for line-ups to get on the various flights. In fairness, on the last leg of the trip our bags got to the baggage claim carousel before we did. Nice job, for once.

While I understand that the total number of people who are flying is down, the airlines seem to be clustering all the passengers into a relatively few gates, so that you are always in a crowd of people and almost always on a full plane. Seats, of course, keep getting incrementally smaller and smaller; fortunately I'm not abnormally tall.

On a positive note, the in-flight entertainment was reasonably good. I watched several movies on the flights across the pond. And the food was tolerable under the circumstances.

I've never really understood why they don't board the back of the plane first and the front last. Boarding could be done in a fraction of the time without waiting for the passengers in front of you to load their bags into the overhead.

They have taken something that used to be enjoyable and turned into misery.

It will take me a year to forget this experience sufficiently to even consider another trip overseas.

I just got back from Europe. It took me 30 hours to get from Pittsburgh to Prague, and 21 hours to get from Paris back to Pittsburgh.

I had four cancelled flights, lost baggage, several delayed flights (basically all of them), and spent several hours in the cattle-calls that pass for line-ups to get on the various flights. In fairness, on the last leg of the trip our bags got to the baggage claim carousel before we did. Nice job, for once.

While I understand that the total number of people who are flying is down, the airlines seem to be clustering all the passengers into a relatively few gates, so that you are always in a crowd of people and almost always on a full plane. Seats, of course, keep getting incrementally smaller and smaller; fortunately I'm not abnormally tall.

On a positive note, the in-flight entertainment was reasonably good. I watched several movies on the flights across the pond. And the food was tolerable under the circumstances.

I've never really understood why they don't board the back of the plane first and the front last. Boarding could be done in a fraction of the time without waiting for the passengers in front of you to load their bags into the overhead.

It will take me a year to forget this experience sufficiently to even consider another trip overseas.
Didn't the airlines force their employees, most importantly pilots, to get jabbed or be fired? Many hundreds retired rather than bend over.

The elite in charge of the country like Transportation Secretary Petey, would love to get ordinary Americans back on to trains and boats and leave the skies open for themselves. This kind of hassle is being done on purpose.

The elite in charge of the country like Transportation Secretary Petey, would love to get ordinary Americans back on to trains and boats and leave the skies open for themselves. This kind of hassle is being done on purpose.
The Butt-gig said to hire more customer service reps to solve the flight problems for the airlines.

I am a very petite woman, especially so in modern America (and I'm not just talking heavier--we are taller now too). I sit on planes now and there is an inch on either side of me in the seat. I'm thinking, "how does this work for the average sized person, let alone larger people?" It's ridiculous.

And yes, all our systems and institutions are going to pot.

On the 25th I'm flying for the first time in a very long time, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it...

Forum List

Back