Ailments? We need a "share your grief" thread.

Bagbalm. The big tin. Great for massaging sore joints in the hands. It is originally for cow teats being chapped from the milking machines but it also works great on hard calloused feet, massaging elbows and hand joints. Dogs love it though, so be prepared for them to try to roll on yer feet once you are done massaging them with it. :lol:

Can You Beat MS With the Paleo Diet - Everyday Health

Hmm. Paleo diet for MS patients? Tried and tested by a doctor that has MS.

The President in the "West Wing" had Relapsing Remitting MS. One of his symptom management things was injections of "beta seron" Probably spelling that wrong, but it was remarked it reduces the frequencies of MS-episodes. That's all I got but seemed worth mentioning.

Trekking Poles. I never heard of them. But I see this old couple bebopping along every day when I take the dogs for their run on the beach and me slowly trying to keep up with them. I'm all WTF are those things? Ski poles? So I go to google and what do I find? Trekking Poles!

Amazon.com BAFX Products - 2 Pack - Anti Shock Hiking Walking Trekking Trail Poles - 1 Pair Black Sports Outdoors

But I found a cheaper set here:

Pair 2 Trekking Walking Hiking Sticks Poles Alpenstock Anti Shock 65 135cm Black eBay

and this is what I found while hunting them down:

I have used the trekking poles. I noticed that my balance was a lot better. I have arthritis in my hip joint and walking usually makes me limp. The poles supported some of the weight so I walk more easily . I noticed that it had helped me with my gait that I am having such a tough time with. I would highly recommend the walking poles and get out there and enjoy the fresh air.

This is a testimonial to Nordic wWalking poles. I had never heard of them, but a friend, who is a physiotherapist in Canada, suggested them to me. She had used them to enable her to walk while recovering from a knee surgery. I had had an arthroscopy and was able to workout in a gym with a recumbent bike, but walking was painful and accompanied by a pronounced limp. The first time I used the poles was a revalation, although I had to work up to a 30-minute walk. I was able to accomplish this within a month, alternating days with my gym workout.

Specifically, I'm back to walking agressively, with much improved stability, and less stress on my knees. I've also had back surgery, and I've noticed that I'm walking with less jarring and the otherwise attendant back discomfort, which is an added benefit. Plus, it's a good workout and they're fun!

Whether you want poles for hiking, for exercise or for improving balance & mobility, learning how to use them and getting poles that fit you will help you achieve your goals.

As we age, we can lose or reduce spine function. Using poles for walking and hiking enables us to use our upper body muscles to help preserve our joints. Spine function can be restored.

This is done because, when we walk with poles, we appear to walk as we did when younger – with attitude. We are using muscles which support AND lengthen the spine. Walking with attitude – with purpose – is the natural walking pattern. It’s called reciprocal gait. It’s the diagonal pattern of opposite arm and leg. When this occurs, the spine is able to ROTATE. This spinal rotation feels good, looks good and is very healthy.

Gravity acts, the spine compresses, we get shorter. Using poles actually can reverse this process – the spine lengthens and elongates.

All of this assumes a natural arm swing. The arm swing is part of the spinal rotation and muscle recruitment.

Mayo Clinic:
Walking poles work your arms, shoulders, chest and upper back muscles through a functional range of motion as you walk — which can help you turn your daily walk into a full-body workout. This activity is sometimes called Nordic walking.

Most walking poles have rubber tips that grab the pavement and wrist straps that secure the poles to your arms. With one walking pole in each hand, you grip the handles and push off with each stride. Sturdier walking poles designed for hiking are known as hiking or trekking poles.

Consider the benefits of walking poles:

• The arm movement associated with walking poles adds intensity to your aerobic workout, which helps you burn more calories.
  • Walking poles improve balance and stability.
  • Walking poles help you maintain proper posture, especially in the upper back, and may help to strengthen upper back muscles.
  • Walking poles take some of the load off your lower back, hips and knees, which may be helpful if you have arthritis or back problems.
Walking poles in various fixed or adjustable lengths are available online and in many sporting goods stores.

So...guess what I'm fixing to buy on ebay? Yup!

This works great for those hard to reach aching back muscles.

Amazon.com Thera Cane Massager Health Personal Care

photo_115.jpg

Stomach bug is going around right now. I know quite a few folks who have it..and I just got over it last week. Saw Doc today for monthly exam and he was telling me A LOT of people have it. I told him what I did to get over mine in 2 days versus 4 and he nodded and said "good girl".

12 hours of nausea then flat out stomach ache. Ick. Doubling over, groaning, puking, diarrhea, etc.

LOTS of hot tea. No lemon.
LOTS of water. Pee that virus/bacteria out asap.
Toast, no butter. Good with the hot tea!
Banana for the potassium.
Apple sauce.
Cool ranch chips for nibbling.
Cream of Rice.
White rice.
Broths. Preferably chicken broth.
MORE WATER.
MORE HOT TEA.
And after every "meal" or every 4 hours, chew 2 pepto bismol tablets. Bismol coats the intestines and helps it stay non inflammatory. Which is why a lot of people with IBS or colitis, etc use PB tablets. It DOES help.

You should be over it in 2 days..first day being uncomfortable. Second day feeling like someone punched you in the intestines but at least you aren't nauseated and puking.
Third day...go easy on what you eat.
Fourth day...chow down!

One more thing....

Acupressure WORKS. AKA reflexology.
Sometimes it works surprisingly well.

I had a girlfriend who used to suffer from chronic sinus congestion headaches.

I manipulated the pressure points on her head and face over and over for several minutes. Then suddenly her sinuses cleared, her headache stopped and she could breathe freely after suffering for several weeks in a row.

when i start vomiting i end up in the hospital .....being bagged with fluids...i just have to avoid getting sick....i will throwing up my toe nails...

i love neat feet has emu oil for dry feet....bag balm is good and it all attracts dogs...

migraines....just get to a dark quiet room ...that is all i can do but i have optical ones

I guess these are the same pressure points to get relief from sinus. Generally these points are on hands, face, behind the ears and at the base of the back of skull.

Sinus pressure points are those points that one can use in order to get. One doesn’t need any kind of medical consultation to try this method.

Forum List

Back