Agree or not: The rich benefit the most from tax money?

Dr Gregg

Rookie
Jan 28, 2010
They make the most money, have the biggest share in the wealth, and pay the most taxes. But don't they also benefit the most from what the tax money goes towards?

They benefit from an educated and skilled workforce that help their companies flourish. THey benefit from roads and strong infrastructure to move their product and assist in their business, which allowed them to . THey benefit from the US military and police force to protect their assets and provide a relatively safe and stable country to have their business flourish. THey may even have benefitted from student loan programs getting them their education in the first place. Many benefit from new scientific discoveries funded by government research grants which helped them discover an innovative new technology based on those discoveries. They benefit from legislation and justice system that protects their innovative products from patent infringement. I'm sure there are plenty more.

They make the most money, have the biggest share in the wealth, and pay the most taxes. But don't they also benefit the most from what the tax money goes towards?

They benefit from an educated and skilled workforce that help their companies flourish. THey benefit from roads and strong infrastructure to move their product and assist in their business, which allowed them to . THey benefit from the US military and police force to protect their assets and provide a relatively safe and stable country to have their business flourish. THey may even have benefitted from student loan programs getting them their education in the first place. Many benefit from new scientific discoveries funded by government research grants which helped them discover an innovative new technology based on those discoveries. They benefit from legislation and justice system that protects their innovative products from patent infringement. I'm sure there are plenty more.

But everyone benefits from this. They have the same access to a road I do, but they drive in a better car (or are driven.) If they take mass transit they pay the same as I do and sit in the same seat. Army tanks and Air force planes protect thier bigger house just as they protect my apartment. The research done benefits my job and thiers, or thier stocks.

The one area of inequality may be legal/police. But that is more a local issue than a federal and another debate.

The question becomes why should they pay more for the same or less benefits? They do not use all of the programs designed for the middle class and poor americans. Yet they pay more on a raw dollar amount simply because they have more.

Again, I am not against a progressive income tax entirely, but at what point is "just a bit more of thier fair share" too much?

Seems to me that the 47% that doesn't pay any Federal Income tax would benefit the most.

• Banned
Seems to me that the 47% that doesn't pay any Federal Income tax would benefit the most.

Yeah, living in poverty is wonderful. The rich got their riches thanks in part to our government, infrastructure, and stability, which is what my point was.

And the rich are hardly suffering from their higher % of taxes being paid. I don't understand why so many complain about the rich paying so much in taxes when I assume most of the people making those complaints aren't rich themselves.

Everyone benefits from infrastructure, schools, roads, etc pretty much the same... all have equal access to anything public... anyone can start a business, benefit from research in that business, is free to get a job and travel on the roads, etc

Those putting in nothing and drawing away from the contributors thru government taxation and redistribution are the ones that benefit the most... pay noting, get monies and entitlements back... not this benefiting more

And BTW.. get the govt out of the student loan business.. it has no business being your private lender

I only have one question. Just one. It's a pretty simple question, really. More than half of the population of this country pays no taxes at all but yet they seem to be bitching about what the wealthy pays or does not pay in taxes. Now, here's my question. Wonder why those people who pay no income taxes at all don't just keep their mouths shut and enjoy the free ride instead of bitching about somebody else? It's beginning to get a little old. I believe everybody in this country should pay something in taxes regardless of who you are. Everybody should be taxed at the same rate and should have the same tax loopholes if the government is going to give anybody loopholes. If you're paying nothing in taxes, what right to you really have to bitch about anything?

Yeah, living in poverty is wonderful. The rich got their riches thanks in part to our government, infrastructure, and stability, which is what my point was.

And the rich are hardly suffering from their higher % of taxes being paid. I don't understand why so many complain about the rich paying so much in taxes when I assume most of the people making those complaints aren't rich themselves.

Try understanding the concept of freedom and equality.. not just just your warped sense of selective equality when it benefits you, and allowing unequal treatment of others when it benefits you

Nice non sequitur. :lol:

It matched yours pretty well.
Wrong-o.

First off, roads and local services are paid for locally with property taxes fuel taxes and user fees. Secondly, nobody is ever given any choice as to whether or not they will utilize those agencies. Third of all, nobody is doing any lobbying in those areas.

Three time loser.

The issue starts when you have a minority of people paying for the majority of your benefits, and the realizes the minority really cannot do anything to stop it.

At a certian point taxes become a punishment for our most productive and educated citizens, and nothing more than an outlet for people jelous of anyone making more than them to show they are "sticking it to those rich folks"

Try understanding the concept of freedom and equality.. not just just your warped sense of selective equality when it benefits you, and allowing unequal treatment of others when it benefits you
Oh, do tell what benefits I"m getting? I pay taxes, I get no government assistance, never have, and hopefully never will.

Why the constant ASSumption that anybody that supports gov't programs to help people in times of need wants a free hand out, when the majority of the people that vote and support these programs never use them in the first place. Sounds like an attempt to rationalize in an attempt to not sound heartless

Nice non sequitur. :lol:

It matched yours pretty well.
Wrong-o.

First off, roads and local services are paid for locally with property taxes fuel taxes and user fees. Secondly, nobody is ever given any choice as to whether or not they will utilize those agencies. Third of all, nobody is doing any lobbying in those areas.

Three time loser.
You said:

When did any of them ask for all that "benevolent patronage" of Big Daddy Big Gubmint?

And they do, all the time.
Non sequitur for a non sequitur.

In response to the rest of your post, I don't really agree with the OP, so I don't know who you're attempting to argue with. Also - there is constant lobbying in those areas - from construction companies who want the contracts to build the roads, etc etc.

You'd be surprised who comes out of the woodwork when new infrastructure projects are announced.

The issue starts when you have a minority of people paying for the majority of your benefits, and the realizes the minority really cannot do anything to stop it.

At a certian point taxes become a punishment for our most productive and educated citizens, and nothing more than an outlet for people jelous of anyone making more than them to show they are "sticking it to those rich folks"

How is it punishment when the rich make tons of money and live luxuriously, even with paying high taxes?

Seems forcing people to pay taxes or higher taxes when they are barely able to get by with what they are making is more punishing. Many companies don't want to pay livable wages while the owners make extreme amounts of money. Why is it that the last few decades the CEOs and owners are making so much more than the average worker salary, while that discrepancy in pay was much less in the days where one income family was enough to live the middle class life.

Whenever the top few horde all the money is when things usually turn to shit

Very simple, it's not fair.

What about when a tiny minority is making the majority of the money? YOu don't see a problem with that?

Somehow edit isnt working.

To answer your other question, The reason people like me don't support excesses in progressive taxation is that we see it as somehow unfair. Just because I can make someone else pay more for something I want doesnt mean it is right for me to do it. One liberal mindset is that this money is made by the rich off the explotiation of everyone else. Therefore to be fair we have to grab as much of it as possible and take it back. That may not be your view, but every time I see an add asking the rich to "pay just a bit more" or thier "fair share" I see people wanting something and somebody else to pay for it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back