Agnostics

I stopped when the preacher said my dad was in hell and suffering for eternity for owning a bar. Nothing like judging someone for the business they owned. Daddy read the bible every night and was a devout Christian. But I soon realized that those that go to church usually are kind and meek and gentle and helpful only on Sundays. Monday thru Saturday it was more like "up yours. See ya on Sunday".

I also could not get over the fear I had when another preacher insisted I be baptised or I would be stung to death by scorpions..but never die. Just forever pain. I was about 10 years old, give or take.

Then I discovered native american ways and beliefs and THAT one called to me. They don't have a particular denomination. They mostly consider all Gods creations...God. As do I.
Sadly, the preacher/pastors are as human as you and I. Not necessarily the extension of God. Sorry for you experience, Gracie
Ah, but when He spoke to me...it wiped out all the other previous experiences so...its all good. Nature is my church. So is my back yard. Or on the beach. Or in my room. He is with me everywhere I go. :)

He demands no such thing.
He said "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment" (Matt 22:37-38).

That has nothing to do with the fact that you are free to choose as you wish. You are completely free to do so. Choices, as ALWAYS have consequences though.

The first Commandment.
Is it because modern English makes the original Hebrew seem so grim? Its best to remember Hebrew only has about six thousand words and is not a subjective language like English. It paints pictures.

I stopped when the preacher said my dad was in hell and suffering for eternity for owning a bar. Nothing like judging someone for the business they owned. Daddy read the bible every night and was a devout Christian. But I soon realized that those that go to church usually are kind and meek and gentle and helpful only on Sundays. Monday thru Saturday it was more like "up yours. See ya on Sunday".

I also could not get over the fear I had when another preacher insisted I be baptised or I would be stung to death by scorpions..but never die. Just forever pain. I was about 10 years old, give or take.

Then I discovered native american ways and beliefs and THAT one called to me. They don't have a particular denomination. They mostly consider all Gods creations...God. As do I.
Sadly, the preacher/pastors are as human as you and I. Not necessarily the extension of God. Sorry for you experience, Gracie
Ah, but when He spoke to me...it wiped out all the other previous experiences so...its all good. Nature is my church. So is my back yard. Or on the beach. Or in my room. He is with me everywhere I go. :)
He is with me everyday, also. I experience it daily, I just have to have some quiet time.

Just my personal opinion, but I think for the past 2000 years, there has been silence and humans that have faith NEED a sign or something. Which makes their faith fade. God used to walk amongst us, and then Jesus came. Since then...nothing. So they seek but cannot find within their own hearts, so then revert to not believing any more. :(

Or they see...but do not believe. Ears closed, eyes closed even if spoken to in some form or another from Him.

When you recognized you're agnostic, did you continue to join community worship, or did you stop going? Why did you choose to either continue to attend church or stop attending church?
I've been a soft agnostic (after reading about the difference between soft versus hard) for the past 20 years or maybe a few years shy of 20. There was no "day" that I suddenly lost faith in believing in the teachings of my youth-raised as a Methodist as a child later changing to Presbyterian as a teen by choice. The questions remained with me for years turned into doubt, but I remain a searcher of truth, all truths not just my own.

Admittedly, I first went to church because I was forced to go as a kid. Maybe not initially, but during the time of a rebellious stage I went but against my will. It made my mom feel good to go to church, and to take us kids to model a life based upon being grateful. I was lucky to not have been exposed to a church that mostly promoted the fear of God, although some of that was instilled in the message at times. I rejected the idea that anyone should do the right thing out of fear of punishment as a teenager. It just doesn't make sense that goodness needs to add a fear factor in there. In my mind, adding the threat of hell only forces certain people to do the right thing which takes out the whole "true goodness" element all together...kind of like when I was forced to go to church and was physically there but mentally/spiritually not the case. The underlying motive of one's actions always matters.

People attend church for various reasons, but you're right to imply that mostly churches are full of believers. Some go to enjoy the community, some go to sing and feel uplifted, some to listen to the message- particularly when it's a charismatic minister who inspires others to live a good life and do the right thing, some go to "feel better" with various personal reasons involved. I started to wonder why I was there because I'd found various outlets to experience social connections, effective ways to help others, and various ways to express my gratitude for life and for my life.

My parents and life experiences taught me to be grateful for every single thing that comes along, not out of fear of retribution by a vengeful or as some say just God, but because it's the right thing to do. People shouldn't need an outside entity to do the right thing. Yes, we have prisons that are meant to deter crime, but many prisons reflect high recidivism rates regardless. Good people do things for others in need all on their own, try to always consider the feelings of others, and do what they can to help make the world a better place however they can.

In answer to your question, I was still going to church when I lost my belief and felt like an imposter. I've never accepted the OT as coming from a loving God, a Creator of life to give the gift of life and rule with an iron hand doesn't match up. I consider the OT to be allegorical stories, and most people of that early time period needed these strict type of stories to encourage living "under the law of God" as opposed to living "under the grace of God". We're still basically primitive, continuing to use might/wars as a means to settle things is proof, but back then people needed moral guidance just to act right and treat their neighbors fairly.

I continue to have, like most curious types, many questions that were never answered to confirm the existence of a Creator-although I realize that's where faith comes in and I fall short. I'm open to accepting all new information as it's presented. There's a ton of new information just on the horizon, information that we at the current moment cannot even predict. Now that we've developed the tools (better telescopes appropriately placed and working in unison) and going back in time witnessing the birth of stars (which blows my mind completely, and I would imagine pretty mind-blowing to many well-versed in science as well) who knows what truths will be discovered in the near future. Knowledge is reportedly doubling every 6 months-amazing!

Sorry to be so long-winded as I'm not good at being concise. The origins of life is something I think about almost daily. Thank you for your post:)

The first Commandment.
Is it because modern English makes the original Hebrew seem so grim? Its best to remember Hebrew only has about six thousand words and is not a subjective language like English. It paints pictures.
Just my opinion. I’ve been a spiritual atheist for many years. I really have no problem with commandments 2-10. Pretty good list, actually.

When you recognized you're agnostic, did you continue to join community worship, or did you stop going? Why did you choose to either continue to attend church or stop attending church?

I stopped because I never believed in the idea of Church and believe it is a sham to make people rich off the poor gullibility...

I do not know if there is a divine or not but I do not believe in Church for sure!

I stopped because I never believed in the idea of Church and believe it is a sham to make people rich off the poor gullibility...

I do not know if there is a divine or not but I do not believe in Church for sure!
The "church" is a scam. The word is not. It was only 10 laws that none of us could listen to.

The "church" is a scam. The word is not. It was only 10 laws that none of us could listen to.

I have no issues with the Commandments or the Tanakh or the Bible for Christians and believe the stories within have merit to teach us right from wrong but my issue is the Church that twists those books for evil purposes and rape the poor that follow these false prophets so blindly...

I chose to stop when I reached the age of reason.
Any specific issue for choosing to leave your faith?

I can wrap my head around the idea of a supreme being, I suppose.

What I can't figure out, though, is how anyone could be so arrogant as to believe that they're "right" and that they're the ones who've got it figured out...
If you don't think what you believe is right, then why would you believe it?

What I can't figure out, though, is how anyone could be so arrogant as to believe that they're "right" and that they're the ones who've got it figured out...
"Right" about what, precisely? For example, most faiths teach love of others. Is that arrogance? What is wrong about loving others?

Well, compare all of the world's religions; Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. Followers of each profess that the way they practice their belief in "God" is the only correct way to practice a belief in "God".

And therein lies the crux of the issue. I believe it's the height of arrogance and conceit for anyone to proclaim "I got this whole 'God" thing figured out"...

Why do you consider it a demand?
The first Commandment.
That "demand" is not for you unless you're of the house of Israel.

The Decalogue was for Israel. The entire Mosaic Law was for Israel.

Not only did the Mosaic Law perish in the Jewish Wars, but I'm quite certain no one here can trace his lineage to any of the twelve tribes.

Last edited:
I stopped going when I started thinking.
I still went occasionally for my grandparents but thats it.
I dont doubt a suoreme being. I doubt the abraham god. Too many inconsistencies, violence, hatred, jealousy, selfishness, ripoffs from previous religions and falsehoods. If there is a supreme being, he wouldnt act like that, I would think.

"Right" about what, precisely? For example, most faiths teach love of others. Is that arrogance? What is wrong about loving others?

Well, compare all of the world's religions; Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. Followers of each profess that the way they practice their belief in "God" is the only correct way to practice a belief in "God".

And therein lies the crux of the issue. I believe it's the height of arrogance and conceit for anyone to proclaim "I got this whole 'God" thing figured out"...
Agreed. There surely must be more than one path to God even if there is only one God, one Creator of life. Otherwise, it would mean that we've been thoroughly played by some evil game player which knew in advance that humans would have conflicting religious upbringings as an omnipotent God would know.

It worked the other way for me. I determined that organized religions were mere traditions without any validity and since they were the sole source of knowledge of the God of the Bible, I realized I was an atheist, I was 12. However, as I learned about the Big Bang I realized it was impossible to say if there was a creator or not so I was ALSO an agnostic. I've been both ever since as I've never encountered anything to change my views.

Another reason I stopped going was the tithing. Here are people in their sunday best, which mostly came from thrift stores or hand me downs, barely surviving, and giving what they could so the guy standing up at the pulpit can continue to drive his cadillac and live in his big fancy house, with perfectly coiffed hair and his wife wearing a nice strand of pearls in an expensive outfit with kids **** and span in their new clothes. It bothered me. And I wondered. Look at Olsteen. Multi billionaire, but he closed his church doors during that texas flood and only opened them when news reports came out it was closed. Hearsay was he just had new carpeting and flooring installed and didn't want it messed up. Or other preachers on tv where people send in millions.

Something is very wrong with that.

Forum List

Back