Aging Is Reversible—at Least in Human Cells and Live Mice

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Interesting stuff..probably to late for most of us geezers..bur for our grandchildren..they may live a long time!

Aging Is Reversible—at Least in Human Cells and Live Mice - Scientific American - Pocket

Matt Kaeberlein, a molecular biologist at the University of Washington who studies aging but was not part of the work, says other researchers have found that the Yamanaka factors can rejuvenate cells—so in some ways this study is not surprising. But Kaeberlein says no one else had yet shown that the factors can treat age-related diseases in an animal by making the same changes. “That’s the wow factor,” he explains.

Kaeberlein says the study suggests it may be possible not just to slow aging but to actually reverse it. “That’s really exciting—that means that even in elderly people it may be possible to restore youthful function,” he says. Plus, it is easier to imagine a treatment that makes changes to the epigenome than to consider going into every cell and changing its genes. He also notes that the results of the new study are very similar to those seen when senescent cells—those that have lost function due to aging—are removed from an organism. It is not yet clear, he says, whether “this is another way to shut down or maybe reprogram senescent cells.”

I saw this article but didn't read it- I don't want to get younger-

I'm 37. If I could be 25 for the next couple hundred years I'd take that deal.
I'd take 37 for a couple of hundred years. At 37, I was pretty much in my prime.
I liked being 33 years old. That's the year I ran a 5 1/2 minute mile. It made me feel invincible. Look out world! I could live being 33 for a thousand years. I did it for my husband. He was the best man who ever lived. *sigh* A thousand years without him wouldn't be as much fun. So, I don't know. Men my age only want to date women who are in their prime, and the only guy I dated since my husband died was diagnosed with malignant lung cancer. So what did he do? He went out and bought himself a few cartons more of Pall Malls to get him through chemo. And he died a few months later. I almost dated another smoker, but he only used my skills to take up a pair of military color guard pants. I got worried about him after not hearing from him for a week, so called to see if he was okay. He did not return my call. So I looked him up. He was a registered sex offender. And I'm afraid to answer my phone now, because right after that, my phone started ringing off the wall with people who wanted to know the last 4 digits of my social security number. :nono:

I don't think I'm ready for the brave new world of living forever and finding another winner man who proudly treated me like a trophy wife, unless I can beat my 5.5 minute mile. :muahaha:

Isaac Asimov wrote a whole series of scifi novels about a guy who couldn't die. After the 2d or 3rd Century, things began getting old. The same theme holds true in a dozen different novels I've read.

I always wonder how those people in the Old Testament got to live so long. 800 years?

Watch out people, that if I become young again with all the knowledge I have acquired up to today, then the world can be mine.

Forum List

Back