Aging America

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
Longevity is on the rise, more people are living longer and requiring more assistance. We have an aging America that should be a priority now rather than waiting until it becomes a heavy burden.

(1) -- This year, 4 million people in America will turn 65.
(2) -- The baby boom generation is reaching retirement age at a rate of 10,000 people per day.
(3) -- By 2050, 27 million Americans will need some form of long-term care or assistance.
(4) -- The average nursing home stay for a private room is about $87,000 per year.
(5) -- The average wages of a home care worker are less than $9 per hour. So the workers that we're counting on to take care of our families cannot take care of their own on the poverty wages that they're earning.

What can we do to ensure that our senior citizens are properly cared for as their population steadily increases?

Longevity is on the rise, more people are living longer and requiring more assistance. We have an aging America that should be a priority now rather than waiting until it becomes a heavy burden.

(2) -- The baby boom generation is reaching retirement age at a rate of 10,000 people per day.
(3) -- By 2050, 27 million Americans will need some form of long-term care or assistance.
(4) -- The average nursing home stay for a private room is about $87,000 per year.
(5) -- The average wages of a home care worker are less than $9 per hour. So the workers that we're counting on to take care of our families cannot take care of their own on the poverty wages that they're earning.

What can we do to ensure that our senior citizens are properly cared for as their population steadily increases?

They have been a priority for over a decade. There is much that can be done but I'm sure that you have a point that you would like to make.

People are living longer but not requiring more assistance. They are working longer. The aging parents are the ones supporting the college grads living in their basements.

We can do nothing. They will live the life they deserve. I am looking at the parents who didn't raise their children properly. I see there is no future for them.

No kids, no family to take care of you? Eat a fucking bullet. That's my plan.

No kids, no family to take care of you? Eat a fucking bullet. That's my plan.
That's one method.
Soylent_Green.gif

This is really a worldwide phenomenon. People are living longer. They are also living healthier. They also--many, many people--have retirement plans and savings. They will expect SS payments, but I don't actually think they will break the back of the economy. Especially if they wait until 65 or longer to retire. The retirement age in the US (and much of Europe) has risen to 67. That is for people born after a certain year: can't recall what it is, '55 or something like that. We are stronger, we are healthier, we are, in general, in better shape than past generations.

It's shameful how we treat our elder citizens. Our kids suck us dry then finally get a life of their own, then ignore us when it's their turn to return to take care of their parents. Japan and China take care of their elders. We toss ours out.

Yeah, I think people are certainly more aware of healthy diets and staying active.
My dad is 96 and my mom is 94. As long as I remember, they have been active physically and mentally. Their diet is something they brought over from New Zealand, which is basically is free of red meat and dairy products but contains a lot of fruit vegetables, poultry and fish.
It all goes to show, live healthy and live long.

People are living longer but not requiring more assistance. They are working longer. The aging parents are the ones supporting the college grads living in their basements.

Who have to live there because their aging parents fucked our country up thinking they deserved everything they wanted just because they breathe.

Hey! I know! lets make baby boomers fight a bloody war and then drench the survivors in agent orange.
Wait...that's already been done.

Forum List

Back