After working in a hospital for over 15 years, I finally got to experience what it’s like to be a patient.

tycho1572

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2016
While I was treated well, it was was an experience I hope to never go through again.

I went to an ER at a hospital several miles from where I work because I was feeling like shit and didn’t want anyone I know to know that. I found myself being admitted within hours for several days.

After being seen by a Dr. in the ER who recognized me, I was put in isolation because of a fever and other signs of Covid. I then got a visit from a CRNP who has known the GF and I for several years.
So much for trying to get away from people I know.

The Covid test was brutal but came back negative 24 hrs later.

Being a guy who doesn’t complain and hates going to the Dr., I’ve learned a very important lesson about getting regular checkups. Everything I’m dealing with now could have been avoided.
The GF is a little upset with me right now.

I‘m sharing this because I know there are others here who think like me.

My first nights sleep was interrupted by a nurse who woke me up to give me blood at 2am. She apologized and explained why she needed to check my vitals every 15mins.
She later told me about how she could see the color in my face change as I was getting the blood. I thought that was kinda cool.

Everything that landed me in the hospital could have been avoided with regular checkups.

My blood sugar was over 500. My a1c was over 11. Unacceptable levels.
The other symptoms were caused by the anemia. I had no idea that I was leaking blood.

I spent a great deal of last year in admission at hospitals. I did a month at the burn unit and then I think around three months with the couple heart attacks, the thyroid storm and something else, I forget. Oh the hyperthyroid thing. I Ihink one time time I had like 8 needles taped to me at the same time. Getting shots of dilaudid every hour, heck I even had a plug n play fix. Weee. A lot of times when I was on here, I was in a hospital bed, but nobody really knew it haha. Can't say that I have one single complaint.

I did not know anyone when I got there but by the time I left I knew everybody on the block. Good times, good times...

Last edited:
What does that ad say? Consult the prettiest nurse in the event your erection lasts more than 4 hours?

I spent a great deal of last year in admission at hospitals. I did a month at the burn unit and then I think around three months with the couple heart attacks, the thyroid storm and something else, I forget. Oh the hyperthyroid thing. I Ihink one time time I had like 8 needles taped to me at the same time. Getting shots of dilaudid every hour, heck I even had a plug n play fix. Weee. A lot of times when I was on here, I was in a hospital bed, but nobody really knew it haha. Can't say that I have one single complaint.

I did not know anyone when I got there but by the time I left I knew everybody on the block. Good times, good times...
Good times?? lol

Despite having a private room complete with shower and friendly staff, I hated every min. after I started feeling better. That was a few hours after getting blood.

While being discharged days later, the nurse sent my Dr. a message asking if I was cleared to return to work. Thinking everything would be ok, I called my boss saying I’d be back the following Monday. The nurse called soon after leaving the hospital saying I couldn’t return to work. I was out for another week.

I love my job. Being out for 2 weeks wasn’t easy.

I also love the people I work with. :)

A few years ago, I woke at 2am, went to the bathroom and coughed up a mouthful of blood. Wife drove me to the ER where I was triaged and taken in quickly. (guess I was more emergent that other folks in the waiting room) went into an examining room, they brought in an X-ray, took blood samples and determined I had Pneumonia. Got prescribed powerful antibiotics and was sent home after a few hours. A week later I was completely cured and got follow up X-ray and scans to verify it. Overall a good experience for me but, in the past, I have taken family members to the ER and waited 5 or 6 hours to be seen because of more emergent cases (vehicular accidents, gun shot wounds, etc.)

I’m just now starting to see how much that stay is gonna cost me.

It’s looking like my 3 day stay is just under $10k.

I recently got a letter/statement from my insurance company saying they paid two Dr’s 100%. I won’t owe them anything.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on the hospital bill. I’m hoping it’ll be under $2k.

The bills are still trickling in.

Got another letter from the ins. saying I owe $11.42. I then got got one saying they paid 100%. for another Dr.

I'm guessing my final bill will be less that $2k. :)

It’s looking like something is wrong with my lab results.

My A1C,shortly after being admitted, was 11.3. That seemed ridiculously high to me. My LDL also seemed ridiculously high at 175!

My new doc, someone I’ve known for years, ordered bloodwork less than month later. That test had my A1C at 7.8 and my LDL at 41! Wtf?? lol

Forum List

Back