After last shooting, it’s time to reevaluate age of majority

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Given how much less mature children are at 18 than they were 50 years ago, should there be a discussion to raise the age of majority to 21 and disallow them to buy guns AND vote?

These days, many “kids” are living with their parents well into their 20s, living in their childhood bedrooms and having Mom still prepare their meals, and possibly even doing their laundry. They don’t worry about rent payments and electricity bills.

Compare that to when I was 18. Upon high school graduation, about half the class went on to college and the other half got jobs, moved into shared housing (usually 3 or 4 to a townhouse), and bought groceries and paid their share of rent. They had adult responsibilities.

Children at 18 or 19 are too immature to buy a gun, and Lord knows they cant make an informed decision regarding their vote. Age 21 should Be the new age of majority.

Given how much less mature children are at 18 than they were 50 years ago, should there be a discussion to raise the age of majority to 21 and disallow them to buy guns AND vote?

These days, many “kids” are living with their parents well into their 20s, living in their childhood bedrooms and having Mom still prepare their meals, and possibly even doing their laundry. They don’t worry about rent payments and electricity bills.

Compare that to when I was 18. Upon high school graduation, about half the class went on to college and the other half got jobs, moved into shared housing (usually 3 or 4 to a townhouse), and bought groceries and paid their share of rent. They had adult responsibilities.

Children at 18 or 19 are too immature to buy a gun, and Lord knows they cant make an informed decision regarding their vote. Age 21 should Be the new age of majority.
I don't know if that is ever going to happen but we should talk about it. I have noticed over the last several years that there seems to be a whole lot of crime of all kinds being committed by teens. It seems very rampant. If we locked all teens up, guilty or innocent, crime would take a major, major hit, including violent crime. Of course I'm not actually advocating for locking all teens up, just saying that we really need to somehow address rampant teenage crime.

Repeal the Selective Service Act first & then I'll come to the table.
As long as our govt can forcefully conscript our children & throw them into a meatgrinder, I'm not going to support taking away their Constitutional rights

You’re going about this all backwards. It needs to be lowered to 16. Raising the age of majority simply extends the immunities from the consequences of bad decisions, and misbehavior. Not to mention the absurdity of someone going to jail for fucking a 20 year old, under the pretense that they raped a minor. Absurd.

You’re going about this all backwards. It needs to be lowered to 16. Raising the age of majority simply extends the immunities from the consequences of bad decisions, and misbehavior. Not to mention the absurdity of someone going to jail for fucking a 20 year old, under the pretense that they raped a minor. Absurd.
So then we will let children buy guns and vote? No thanks.

And go to prison, where they belong for committing crimes. Our society has arrived where we have precisely because of the coddling of our young, and shielding them from consequence. Your proposal is to simply add more of what fucked it up in the first place.

And go to prison, where they belong for committing crimes. Our society has arrived where we have precisely because of the coddling of our young, and shielding them from consequence. Your proposal is to simply add more of what fucked it up in the first place.
No….your proposal is to let children buy guns.

Oh… so I see… Your real concern here is “guns”. Not age of majority. Maybe you can get a Mod to help you edit the title…
No it’s that kids are much more immature these days and can’t handle adult decisions - and we need to keep them away from guns AND the voting booth. Did you not notice that?

Bought & paid for slime like Ted Cruz will stop any law which impedes the gun manufacrurers scheme to arm the entire Country with guns including AR's.

There are 400 million guns owned in this Country right now so they're doing a good job of it.

No it’s that kids can’t handle adult decisions - and we need to keep them away from guns AND the voting booth. Did you not notice that?
No I didn’t. I do notice how badly your proposal would backfire, and how ineffectual it would actually be in curtailing events like this shooting, that has you riled up. Then when a 22 year old does something similar; we just up the age again… Till no one can go to prison for crimes, no one can fuck, no one can vote, no one can be used for military service; all so no one can get a gun. Your proposal is a poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction that would exacerbate the problem.

No I didn’t. I do notice how badly your proposal would backfire, and how ineffectual it would actually be in curtailing events like this shooting, that has you riled up. Then when a 22 year old does something similar; we just up the age again… Till no one can go to prison for crimes, no one can fuck, no one can vote, no one can be used for military service; all so no one can get a gun. Your proposal is a poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction that would exacerbate the problem.
We still have the right to charge them as adults, even if they haven’t attained majority. That won’t change.

We still have the right to charge them as adults, even if they haven’t attained majority. That won’t change.
Ahhh. So you would retain for yourself the hypocrisy of punishment, while stripping them of the privilege. How… Noble of you…

Ahhh. So you would retain for yourself the hypocrisy of punishment, while stripping them of the privilege. How… Noble of you…
We have it now. Age of majority is 18, but can be charged as an adult for heinous crimes. We would just move the age up to 21, to keep the kiddies away from guns and voting.

We have it now. Age of majority is 18, but can be charged as an adult for heinous crimes. We would just move the age up to 21, to keep the kiddies away from guns and voting.
Women have killed more people with votes, than so-called kiddies have with guns. So if we’re now considering the curtailing of voting rights, in an effort to “save lives”. There are better places to start…

Women have killed more people with votes, than so-called kiddies have with guns. So if we’re now considering the curtailing of voting rights, in an effort to “save lives”. There are better places to start…
You are under the impression I’m a liberal, and pro-abortion. You are wrong.

Why can’t we do both? Keep kids from buying guns, and prevent women from killing their unborn children?

New Topics

Forum List

Back