Afghan Taliban victory predicted in letter

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Afghan Taliban victory predicted in letter

64342384.jpg

Reporting from Kabul, Afghanistan, and New Delhi— A message allegedly written by the leader of the Afghan Taliban predicts imminent victory as more foreign troops die and Taliban fighters better understand NATO tactics, acquire more weaponry, shoot down more aircraft and kill more senior officials.

The lengthy statement released Monday, signed by Mullah Mohammed Omar, the movement's reclusive, one-eyed leader, follows President Obama's announcement in June that 10,000 American troops will leave this year.

The U.S. drawdown is part of an accelerated withdrawal by foreign troops ahead of a 2014 deadline for transferring security to the Afghans.

"All these give us good news of an imminent victory and a bright future," the message says.

The statement was released on the eve of one of Islam's most important holidays, Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan.

Despite an often triumphal tone, the writer appeared eager to discredit a conference on the nation's future planned for December in Bonn, Germany, that could bring together representatives from about 90 countries and international organizations, the Afghan government and members of the insurgency.

The event, like past conferences, is "superficial and hype-oriented," the statement says, calling it part of a U.S. effort to distract the public and prevent Afghans from solving their own problems.

The statement's authenticity could not be verified, but it was sent to journalists from an email address used previously to disseminate Omar's statements. It also was posted on a website used by the Taliban.

Monday's statement, if written by Omar, would be among his most comprehensive messages to date, analysts said, with less rhetoric in order to better appeal to Afghan moderates.

"Its central aim was to characterize the struggle as a defense against outside invasion and to suggest that the Taliban could be a just and moderate political force," said Daniel Markey, a Washington-based senior fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations. "Otherwise, the message was a rousing, nationalistic call to arms."

Of particular note was the softer line toward the Kabul government and suggestion that the Taliban doesn't seek to monopolize power, said Thomas Ruttig, co-director of the Kabul-based Afghanistan Analysts Network.

Omar, who was reportedly raised in a village near Kandahar by poor, landless peasants, rose to the top of the Taliban more than 15 years ago.

Although the Taliban commander and cleric, who has a $25-million U.S. bounty on his head, is described as tall, shy and a crack marksman, relatively little is known about him. He disappeared soon after the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and is believed to have fled to Pakistan.

Evidently wary of the Taliban's negative image, the author of the statement also warned insurgents to eschew bad behavior and focus on self-improvement.

"Omar certainly seems to be continuing an earlier effort to soften the Taliban's image among Afghans," said Stephen Biddle, a defense policy analyst with the Council on Foreign Relations.

Among the exhortations to fighters were: Enjoy sports, read appropriate books, remain God-fearing and avoid resorting to extortion, kidnapping or imposing random bans without authorization.

Afghan Taliban victory predicted in letter - latimes.com

How much longer should we fight these guys?

If their country don't want them..they will kill them. Otherwise if they seize control of Afghanistan, we should leave them with a warning, the next time we come back..it won't be with ground troops and we won't be doing any rebuilding.

If their country don't want them..they will kill them. Otherwise if they seize control of Afghanistan, we should leave them with a warning, the next time we come back..it won't be with ground troops and we won't be doing any rebuilding.

I don't think we should be in Afghanistan anymore, although I still think we need to conduct drone strikes every so often once some ass monkey starts getting out of line like in Somalia, as far as rebuilding this country and such a large troop presence no, it plays right into the Talibans hands. We have been there 10 years and caught or killed most of the clowns reponsible for 9/11, I say our business is done.

The Talibans paralyzed "muscular" Canada's military.
usmb.com link

And the Canadians will (have) / (be) removed by year's end from Afghanistan.

I don't think we should be in Afghanistan anymore, although I still think we need to conduct drone strikes every so often once some ass monkey starts getting out of line like in Somalia, as far as rebuilding this country and such a large troop presence no, it plays right into the Talibans hands. We have been there 10 years and caught or killed most of the clowns reponsible for 9/11, I say our business is done.

Ab-so-fucking-lutely. :clap2:

Our boys did a great job.

Time to light up a cigar and call it done.

usmb.com link

Canadas been with us on this for a long time, if they feel like its time to go I have to respect that, its been 10 years.

It's kinda like fightin with a guy..beatin the piss out him..then feeling sorry for the fella, picking him up..bandaging him..giving him some soup.. he spits in your face and calls you an asshole.

Watcha gonna do? :dunno:

Ab-so-fucking-lutely. :clap2:

Our boys did a great job.

Time to light up a cigar and call it done.

I agree 100%, the job for the most part is done, its time to stop moving the goal posts and get the fuck out of there, I would say we can train the Afghan forces but to be honest I don't even want to do that, look at how many incidents where our guys are being killed by the ungrateful clowns they are training, I want as little to do with Afghanistan as possible.

Last edited:
Are the Turks staying in Afghan?

At NATO's Lisbon Summit last year, President Abdullah Gül said Turkey's responsibility to Afghanistan is open-ended.
Turkey would remain in this country as long as the Afghan people so desire.
For instance, while other countries have begun to prepare their exit strategy, Turkey established a new provincial reconstruction team in Cevizcan in addition to the existing one in Mezar-ı Sherif.
Carnegie Europe Center - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dVBISDyCXk]Turkey renew commitment - YouTube[/ame]

Germany will remove from Afghanistan in conjunction with ISAF's end-mission in 2014 and will shift its resources into (already existing) civilian reconstruction and NGO efforts of Germany in Afghanistan.
Canadians ran away and got paralyzed by the Taliban, no ifs and buts.

the turks will help them .... same way they help the kurds .... same way the helped the armenians ....

why the us gets in the middle of this crap is beyond me....

usmb.com link

Afghanistan was such a peaceful country when Buddhist, before the Muslim barbarians invaded and turned it into another Islamic shithole.

Everything you touch turns to shit. Fuck allah and his bitch Mahomet.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back