Afghan girls maimed by acid vow to go to school

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Atia Abawi
CNN

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Shivering in pain and calling for her mother, Shamsia's hands shake uncontrollably, her eyes swollen shut and her skin peeling from terrible acid burns.

The 19-year-old was heading to school along with her 16-year-old sister, Atifa, in Kandahar, Afghanistan. It was a warm November morning last year and their only anxiety was being late for class.

"We saw two men up ahead staring at us. One was standing off and the other one was on their motorcycle. I wanted to go but there was a black object in his hand and he took it out," Atifa says.

The girls thought it was a water pistol. Watch acid attack in Afghanistan »

"He grabbed my arm and asked, 'Will you be going to school anymore?' He then threw acid on my sister and threw acid on me," Shamsia says.

They weren't the only ones attacked that day. Several other teachers and students were targeted on their way to Meir Weis Mena School in Kandahar, the nation's third-largest city and one where the Taliban have long been influential.

Atifa was burned so badly that her red scarf melted onto her dark brown hair.

Parents were so frightened that many students were kept at home for weeks afterward.

It's not the first time girls in Afghanistan have been targeted for attending school. The Taliban have been responsible for dozens of attacks on girls' schools and female teachers, but even they condemned this attack.

Afghan girls maimed by acid vow to go to school - CNN.com

Let's get some apologistas in here to tell us how this is justified.:eusa_eh:

Wrong again? Please explain, it may be your highbrow way of talking down to me but I don't understand you.

Our Troops are in that Country. What happens there is now OUR business till we leave. Further it is not "their culture" at all, it is the culture of some extremist Muslims that support their view by quoting the Koran and getting feed bullshit by Religious schools and leaders that teach them this shit.

Using your logic, when some crazy fuck blows up an abortion center in the US, we should just leave them alone, cause, well , it is their culture.

Our Troops are in that Country. What happens there is now OUR business till we leave. Further it is not "their culture" at all, it is the culture of some extremist Muslims that support their view by quoting the Koran and getting feed bullshit by Religious schools and leaders that teach them this shit.

Using your logic, when some crazy fuck blows up an abortion center in the US, we should just leave them alone, cause, well , it is their culture.

I know our troops are their, they are fighting the 'War On Terror' they are not trying to change a culture.

And what has culture got to do with blowing up abortion clinics in the USA?:cuckoo:It might just be me but I am baffled.

I know our troops are their, they are fighting the 'War On Terror' they are not trying to change a culture.

And what has culture got to do with blowing up abortion clinics in the USA?:cuckoo:It might just be me but I am baffled.

Claiming that the Afghan culture includes throwing acid in girls faces makes as much sense as claiming loons that blow up abortion clinics is the culture of some religious turds in this country. I guess you missed the part where EVEN the Taliban condemned the attacks?

Using your logic any dumb shit does something it can be classified as his culture and well, then we should just leave him alone.

Claiming that the Afghan culture includes throwing acid in girls faces makes as much sense as claiming loons that blow up abortion clinics is the culture of some religious turds in this country. I guess you missed the part where EVEN the Taliban condemned the attacks?

Using your logic any dumb shit does something it can be classified as his culture and well, then we should just leave him alone.

Using your logic we should police the World.:lol:

Afghan girls maimed by acid vow to go to school - CNN.com

Let's get some apologistas in here to tell us how this is justified.:eusa_eh:

Yeh, well there's plenty of 'em around, Gunny!

What strikes me most about this report, is the statement:

The Taliban have been responsible for dozens of attacks on girls' schools and female teachers, but even they condemned this attack.

Yeh, right! I’ve yet to come across a Taliban who would condemn anything to do with the oppression of women. They do not want education for girls. They do not want women to be enlightened and they certainly don’t want to see them growing into adulthood with an education and a knowledge of the world outside of their particular village. When the Taliban were in power, they banned education for girls and they denied women access to healthcare and employment.

They are still closing down schools by terrorising the Afghan people. Apart from attacking young girls, the Taliban will attack anyone associated with the education of girls, often dishing out serious beatings, sometimes executing by decapitation, but more commonly cutting off the ears and noses as a permanent reminder to others.

Those who say this is part of the Afghan culture don’t know what they are talking about. It has nothing to do with culture and everything to do with the radical and political form of Islam practised by the Taliban. In fact, these atrocities against women are in direct contravention of the Afghan constitution which now promises equal rights for men and women. Women are permitted to work outside the home and to engage in political activity. They have the right to education and health services.

There's only one way to treat the Taliban and I'm pleased to be assisting with it!

Forum List

Back