Advice from the police chief in Columbia, S.C..do not sleep naked in his town.

I really hope there is way more to the story, because with just what was related above that is completely unacceptable.
I mean, did they even beat him? Plant any drugs? The guy was black, after all.
Maybe those cops are losing their touch.
Itā€™s probably a safe bet they found every missing bike in a 5 mile radius in his garage, along with several stolen electronic devices.
Well here's another one..We are looking for a black guy with dreads and your black with dreads so stand up and put your hands behind your back, we don't care if you are just sitting here eating dinner with your family...Police handcuffed an innocent Black man who was eating with his family at a Virginia Beach mall, saying he matched the profile of a wanted suspect

You really need to get a real news outlet.

I really hope there is way more to the story, because with just what was related above that is completely unacceptable.
Itā€™s probably a safe bet they found every missing bike in a 5 mile radius in his garage, along with several stolen electronic devices.
Well here's another one..We are looking for a black guy with dreads and your black with dreads so stand up and put your hands behind your back, we don't care if you are just sitting here eating dinner with your family...Police handcuffed an innocent Black man who was eating with his family at a Virginia Beach mall, saying he matched the profile of a wanted suspect
Well, based in just what you are saying....
If the cops were looking for somebody and came across me, and unmatched the description, I imagine Iā€™d be questioned and such. I wouldnā€™t feel it was due To my race.

Well, based in just what you are saying....
If the cops were looking for somebody and came across me, and unmatched the description, I imagine Iā€™d be questioned and such. I wouldnā€™t feel it was due To my race.

Or, at least, not due to them having a problem with your race. One assumes that if you matched the description, it would be in part because you were the same race as the suspect.

Seems a gentleman in that town was doing just that when he was awoken by flashing lights, he went to his door to see what was going on and was met with armed officers who told him to not close the door and come outside and stand against a wall..nude, while they entered his home to do a search. They said they were looking for some kids who may have broken into a car. Lawsuit pending because 1. No one saw any kids around his house so why put him through this. 2. They did not have a search warrant to search his house...Police kept Black man naked in yard while looking for teens
Body camera video showed Jethro DeVane tell the officer in June 2019 he lived in the Rock Hill home and the officer cursed at him and told him not to close the door.

can you show us the video?

Here's a link:

I have multiple questions.

1) Who the hell goes to the door buck-ass naked? This is what bathrobes are for, for Pete's sake.

2) Did he at any point tell the officers they were not welcome to search his residence without a warrant?

3) Where is he getting this "I was in fear for my life" stuff from? Aside from the fact that they had guns, did he have any actual reason to believe they would shoot him? Or is this another "I'm black so I ASSumed" situation?

I have answers...

1 - Someone extremely confident? Other than that, I couldn't tell you why people continue to go to the door naked.

2 - Probably not. My guess is that he was extremely confused and disoriented. I'd be willing to bet the thought didn't even occur to him.

3 - Any time anyone points a gun at you, it's not a good feeling.

Seems a gentleman in that town was doing just that when he was awoken by flashing lights, he went to his door to see what was going on and was met with armed officers who told him to not close the door and come outside and stand against a wall..nude, while they entered his home to do a search. They said they were looking for some kids who may have broken into a car. Lawsuit pending because 1. No one saw any kids around his house so why put him through this. 2. They did not have a search warrant to search his house...Police kept Black man naked in yard while looking for teens
Body camera video showed Jethro DeVane tell the officer in June 2019 he lived in the Rock Hill home and the officer cursed at him and told him not to close the door.

Here's a link:

1) Who the hell goes to the door buck-ass naked? This is what bathrobes are for, for Pete's sake.

2) Did he at any point tell the officers they were not welcome to search his residence without a warrant?

3) Where is he getting this "I was in fear for my life" stuff from? Aside from the fact that they had guns, did he have any actual reason to believe they would shoot him? Or is this another "I'm black so I ASSumed" situation?

1) :lol: That's immaterial but certainly odd. :)

2) Does he need to tell the officers they can't search, rather than the officers getting permission before searching? If they don't need permission it doesn't matter, if they do need permission I would hope that they have to get that rather than a person having to deny it. :dunno:

3) It doesn't have to be a racial thing. Anyone might worry about getting shot if a cop unexpectedly comes to their door, pointing a gun at them, and yelling at them to come out.

The guy may not win a lawsuit, but if the article is accurate about the situation, it seems a bit strange. If they were looking for juveniles, a 71-year old clearly doesn't fit the description.

As always, more information might change the perspective of the situation greatly.

Here's a link:

2) Does he need to tell the officers they can't search, rather than the officers getting permission before searching? If they don't need permission it doesn't matter, if they do need permission I would hope that they have to get that rather than a person having to deny it. :dunno:

3) It doesn't have to be a racial thing. Anyone might worry about getting shot if a cop unexpectedly comes to their door, pointing a gun at them, and yelling at them to come out.

The guy may not win a lawsuit, but if the article is accurate about the situation, it seems a bit strange. If they were looking for juveniles, a 71-year old clearly doesn't fit the description.

As always, more information might change the perspective of the situation greatly.
I think the cops will point out they were in hot pursuit of criminals in his immediate area

in that case they dont need a search warrant

Here's a link:

I think the cops will point out they were in hot pursuit of criminals in his immediate area

This is the most likely scenario.

He was obviously suspicious. There had to be something there. Afterall, Sleeping While Black is reason enough to do a full Swat action on any home. It's a wonder they didn't just shoot him for reaching for a Gun in his Crotch.

Here's a link:

That might be. I was trying to say that if the officers DID need permission in order to search the house, I would hope that they are required to gain that permission before searching, rather than being allowed to search so long as they aren't explicitly denied permission.

Here's a link:

That might be. I was trying to say that if the officers DID need permission in order to search the house, I would hope that they are required to gain that permission before searching, rather than being allowed to search so long as they aren't explicitly denied permission.

Not if it's in a Rump supporting District. All joking aside. Yes, the cops needed a warrant to enter that home. The Cops did had no right to make him stand naked outside while they searched. But when you have a bunch of Cops waving and pointed loaded guns at you and screaming instructions, you have to be one cold fish to stand there and demand to see the Warrant. A while may have lived through that demand but I doubt if a Black Man would have. It's a little tough exercising your rights when you are dead.

Here's a link:

I have answers...

1 - Someone extremely confident? Other than that, I couldn't tell you why people continue to go to the door naked.

2 - Probably not. My guess is that he was extremely confused and disoriented. I'd be willing to bet the thought didn't even occur to him.

3 - Any time anyone points a gun at you, it's not a good feeling.

1) No, I don't think deciding to flash the entire neighborhood is a sign of confidence. A serious gear loose in the brain, more like.

2) He might have been less confused and disoriented if he hadn't opened the door with his johnson flapping in the breeze, only to find that it was the cops he was flashing, rather than some poor, traumatized neighbor.

3) I'm sure it's not a good feeling, but that's a long way from, "He was going to shoot me if I argued."

Here's a link:

1) I don't think it's immaterial at all. A major point of his suit appears to be how humiliated and traumatized he was at being naked in front of the whole neighborhood and that female cop. I'm not buying it, since he obviously WANTED to be naked in front of the entire neighborhood.

2) Hey, I'm not denying that the officers were unacceptably rude and pushy in telling and demanding, rather than asking. The police department has already apparently concluded that point themselves. That to me would be all the more reason to politely but firmly assert my Constitutional right to not have my property searched without a warrant. If they don't need a warrant, then they can explain that fact at that point. Either way, it will still be on record that I have unequivocally NOT agreed to the search.

3) And yes, I would be concerned about the possibility of mistakenly being shot if the cops came to my door, guns drawn, told me to step outside. That kinda takes us back to #1, since I would be prepared to comply by stepping outside because I would have put some damned clothes on before going to the door.

Here's a link:

Which is fine, but I bloody damned want to hear them point it out, and I want it on the record that I didn't consent to the search, for precisely this sort of reason.

Here's a link:

I believe that is the case, but I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for sure.

He was obviously suspicious. There had to be something there. Afterall, Sleeping While Black is reason enough to do a full Swat action on any home. It's a wonder they didn't just shoot him for reaching for a Gun in his Crotch.
Agreed.
$10 says he was in possession of stolen property or drugs, or both.

Here's a link:

Not if it's in a Rump supporting District. All joking aside. Yes, the cops needed a warrant to enter that home. The Cops did had no right to make him stand naked outside while they searched. But when you have a bunch of Cops waving and pointed loaded guns at you and screaming instructions, you have to be one cold fish to stand there and demand to see the Warrant. A while may have lived through that demand but I doubt if a Black Man would have. It's a little tough exercising your rights when you are dead.
Montrovant, dont listen to daryl

he doesnt know shit

Agreed.

I find it interesting that the cops apparently thought the house was abandoned before he opened the door.

Agreed.

I find it interesting that the cops apparently thought the house was abandoned before he opened the door.

According to the statement quoted in the article hjmick provided in post #12, the police say the door was open when they got there. Looking at the video provided with that same article, it appears that was the case. That makes is even stranger that Devane was at the door naked.

Forum List

Back