Advice for a Successful Marriage

Zander

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2009
Los Angeles CA
I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

Let me get it started.....

tumblr_lzu7e8DGYb1qcc8ul.jpg

PS- I've been married for 18 years (in a row!!). :thup:

Last edited:
Spend a long time getting to know one another before marriage and have good dialogues relative to expectations of one another, when alone and in public. Agree to hug once a day, when possible, for an extended period...not a brief goodby or hello hug. One that lasts at least a full minute. The power of touch.

Agree never to let yourself go, physically where you begin looking like someone you or they, didn't marry. Expect the romance to change if you let your body go. Agree to treat one another with thoughtfulness and agree to make decisions together. Agree to keep passion alive and often. Agree to disagree without name-calling or profanity. Agree to strive for the best friendship and work on it's continuance.

Those are for starters. :thup:

1) never insult your partner, be honest but not hurtful

2) never undermine your partner by talking behind their back, respect their privacy and respect your partner.

3) Be there for your for partner, never let then down and be their best friend

Just these 3 for now...

Last edited:
I am hoping this thread will become a compendium of wisdom and advice for a successful marriage. In order to do that, it will require lots of differing viewpoints. So please, weigh in!! Contribute!! And let's all benefit from our "collective" experience....and hopefully laugh a little too!

Let me get it started.....

tumblr_lzu7e8DGYb1qcc8ul.jpg

PS- I've been married for 18 years (in a row!!). :thup:

understand no one is perfect, even you.
understand that you cannot change anyone but yourself, people are who they are.
understand life changes, you change, they change.
understand that marriage is about the good, the bad and the ugly.....

1. Don't go to bed angry.
2. Don't call each other mean names.
3. Once an argument is settled, never bring it up again.
4. Bring your spouse coffee in bed as a surprise once in a while.

1. Don't go to bed angry.
2. Don't call each other mean names.
3. Once an argument is settled, never bring it up again.
4. Bring your spouse coffee in bed as a surprise once in a while.

Number one has been the secret to our marriage. Wife and I have NEVER gone to bed angry. Always fixed things first. Going to bed angry allows the anger to foment. I am truly amazed at the wife God has given me. Often realize I don't deserve her.

Don't ask me, I've been single for 27+ years and like it.

The difference between a girlfriend and a wife is:

... if a girlfriend turns out to a nagging bitch, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend turns out to be a massive slob around the house, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend puts on 50 pounds and turns into a fatass, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend thinks she's going to sit on her ass and not work and contribute something monetarily to the relationship, you can tell her to hit the road,

... and the list can go on forever. Wives you must suffer through these differences attempting to work out a solution, or live with them even though you don't like it. Girlfriends you don't. I'll take girlfriends.

Just my preference, as I'm sure there's many here that will beg to differ. It's a free country, and I urge everyone to exercise their freedom of choice.

Last edited:

... if a girlfriend turns out to a nagging bitch, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend turns out to be a massive slob around the house, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend puts on 50 pounds and turns into a fatass, you can tell her to hit the road,

... if a girlfriend thinks she's going to sit on her ass and not work and contribute something monetarily to the relationship, you can tell her to hit the road,

... and the list can go on forever. Wives you must suffer through these differences attempting to work out a solution, or live with them even though you don't like it. Girlfriends you don't. I'll take girlfriends.

Just my preference, as I'm sure there's many here that will beg to differ. It's a free country, and I urge everyone to exercise their freedom of choice.

Just remember that it's a two way street. Your girlfriend can pick up and split when you become an overweight lazy slob that appears to have grown from a sofa. Being alone sounds wonderful, until you're alone......:thup:

>

Come to understand the two most important words in the English language...

.......................... "Yes" and "Dear".

>>>>

I love this chat! I love what y'all have decided to say! :D :D :D

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Oh yeah, do I have anything to add? Well for starters I am not married, but that doesn't mean that I don't know anything about it. The stuff that I do know has come from what I know has happened to those who are or have been married. My advice, and its the advice that I have for any kind of relationship, is to just be honest and straight forward, never think that you are better than whoever you are dealing with, appreciate what is done for you by being there for those who decide to be there for you when you are the one in need of the favor. I guess that it all comes down to that golden rule thing. Be towards others the way that you would want them to be towards you, but if you do decide to get married, it should be to someone that you can't wait to see again when you wake up in the morning, someone that you love to put first in your life underneath the Lord if he is a part of your life too. Do keep in mind though that when you do get married to someone, you do get married to everything that comes with the person. I say this because of the way that my own plate looks right now.

Just remember that it's a two way street. Your girlfriend can pick up and split when you become an overweight lazy slob that appears to have grown from a sofa. Being alone sounds wonderful, until you're alone......:thup:
No argument there, except your insinuation that I'm going to become an overweight lazy slob is a little off base. If that was going to happen, I'd be that by now.

Guess I'll think twice before I rep you again.

Have sex whenever your husband wants.

Is there something else?

My very first girl friend in the Air Force at Nellis AFB told me one time that her MOTHER told her...

... "the secret to keeping your man happy is to keep his belly full and his balls empty."

She was from NYC... can you imagine a mother telling her daughter that?

New Topics

Forum List

Back