Adults Do Not Play Video Games

I am 70 years old, and the only reason I am not currently playing video games is because I play them on my PC computer, and I don't have a gaming console. PC games are few and far between now, and the last one I wanted to play will not run on my PC because it is not powerful enough. I wanted to play doom 4 but I can't and I am not prepared to upgrade my computer for just one game. If other new games for the PC are released I might upgrade then. But it seems PC games are a dying art.

Microsoft releases 100% of games that are developed for the XBox One on the PC. There are more games for the PC than for Xbox One and PS4 combined. Because both PS4 and Xbox One are nothing but PC's with a custom OS, cross development is extremely simple.

Get a Steam account, everything you could ever want is there.
Not true. Microsoft games are only available on the windows 10 store. And most of the stuff available on steam is shovelware garbage.
And yes I'm a pc gamer too. Got a gtx 1080 & a rift.

I'm in the process of putting together a new rig and was going to get the 1080 and Oculus. Is 16 ram enough and have you ever played any of the flight sims?
Sixteen should be fine as long as your graphics card is a 2 gig minimum and your processor is at least a 4 core. I put a 4GB card in mine with 32 gigs of RAM and an AMD 8 core and a gaming level mobo, nothing is slow on that machine.

Thank you for the info.

I know just enough to get me in trouble. Power supply in my box went down and I have this Dell FXR to use while I shop around. Has been a damn good machine, older I7, 2.8g, 8gig and a 240 SSD. Never been a gamer but when I started shopping around I found out I could dogfight others online. Never been a data/video junkie and all the packages you can get have a bunch of junk I don't want so I want to put the money in the best machine. I only have 80 gig used on this SSD. Don't even think I need a HHD. So I was thinking latest I7, 16gig, 1080 card with 4gig, 500SSD and increase connection rate to 100.
That's the way I started (and still am to some degree), I didn't go high end gaming hardware because I wanted to keep it relatively cheap which is one of the primary reasons I went AMD instead of Intel for my processor which obviously means getting an AMD compatible mobo. A 4.7 GHz, 8-core (AM3+ socket) will run you $200, the mobo will set you back anywhere from $100 (low end) to $500 (high end) and I'd recommend your power supply be at least a 650 Watt. As for cooling you don't need liquid cooled but you will need a better cooling setup than the stock model but those are cheap, the graphics card will set you back $70 and up. You want a good open screen tower for air flow or get one that's not as open then add a shitload of case fans (noise).

Microsoft releases 100% of games that are developed for the XBox One on the PC. There are more games for the PC than for Xbox One and PS4 combined. Because both PS4 and Xbox One are nothing but PC's with a custom OS, cross development is extremely simple.

Get a Steam account, everything you could ever want is there.
Not true. Microsoft games are only available on the windows 10 store. And most of the stuff available on steam is shovelware garbage.

I'm in the process of putting together a new rig and was going to get the 1080 and Oculus. Is 16 ram enough and have you ever played any of the flight sims?
Sixteen should be fine as long as your graphics card is a 2 gig minimum and your processor is at least a 4 core. I put a 4GB card in mine with 32 gigs of RAM and an AMD 8 core and a gaming level mobo, nothing is slow on that machine.

Thank you for the info.

I know just enough to get me in trouble. Power supply in my box went down and I have this Dell FXR to use while I shop around. Has been a damn good machine, older I7, 2.8g, 8gig and a 240 SSD. Never been a gamer but when I started shopping around I found out I could dogfight others online. Never been a data/video junkie and all the packages you can get have a bunch of junk I don't want so I want to put the money in the best machine. I only have 80 gig used on this SSD. Don't even think I need a HHD. So I was thinking latest I7, 16gig, 1080 card with 4gig, 500SSD and increase connection rate to 100.
That's the way I started (and still am to some degree), I didn't go high end gaming hardware because I wanted to keep it relatively cheap which is one of the primary reasons I went AMD instead of Intel for my processor which obviously means getting an AMD compatible mobo. A 4.7 GHz, 8-core (AM3+ socket) will run you $200, the mobo will set you back anywhere from $100 (low end) to $500 (high end) and I'd recommend your power supply be at least a 650 Watt. As for cooling you don't need liquid cooled but you will need a better cooling setup than the stock model but those are cheap, the graphics card will set you back $70 and up. You want a good open screen tower for air flow or get one that's not as open then add a shitload of case fans (noise).

More great info, thank you.

Nearest real computer store is 50 miles from me so I'm cramming before I go next week. The other issues are the ports. I will need ports for stick, HOTAS(?) and foot pedals. I will get the pricing and certainly drive the salesman nuts but I'm in no hurry. They push an intel 6800 6 core, we'll see. Would like something like that with 32 ram and SSD. I don't want any software crap. Just windows 10, run Norton and download Chrome and drivers. I was wondering about liquid cooled, don't think I need it but not ruling it out. Just want a super clean machine but don't want to get rigged up and find out I'm at a disadvantage when I start playing online. Any other things you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the info.

Nearest real computer store is 50 miles from me so I'm cramming before I go next week. The other issues are the ports. I will need ports for stick, HOTAS(?) and foot pedals. I will get the pricing and certainly drive the salesman nuts but I'm in no hurry. They push an intel 6800 6 core, we'll see. Would like something like that with 32 ram and SSD. I don't want any software crap. Just windows 10, run Norton and download Chrome and drivers. I was wondering about liquid cooled, don't think I need it but not ruling it out. Just want a super clean machine but don't want to get rigged up and find out I'm at a disadvantage when I start playing online. Any other things you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Most claim serious gamers (people who live for gaming and compete for money) need an Intel chip (i5 and i7 cores) but Intel chips are expensive so I've stuck with the AMD chips, not as fast as Intel but not far behind. Most everything these days connects via USB so the more USB ports you can get the better.
I bought all my stuff online following online gaming build recommendations and I went with a mid sized tower as opposed to a mini box but that was my preference.

You can use this as a basic guide, add a better CPU or SSD drive instead of the the recommended HHDs, buy a more powerful power supply, etc depending on your budget.

Best Cheap Gaming PCs: The Ultimate Budget Gaming PC Guide for 2016

Last edited:

Thank you for the info.

Most claim serious gamers (people who live for gaming and compete for money) need an Intel chip (i5 and i7 cores) but Intel chips are expensive so I've stuck with the AMD chips, not as fast as Intel but not far behind. Most everything these days connects via USB so the more USB ports you can get the better.
I bought all my stuff online following online gaming build recommendations and I went with a mid sized tower as opposed to a mini box but that was my preference.

You can use this as a basic guide, add a better CPU or SSD drive instead of the the recommended HHDs, high a more powerful power supply, etc depending on your budget.

Best Cheap Gaming PCs: The Ultimate Budget Gaming PC Guide for 2016

Thanks, you've been a big help. I'll let you know next week how it goes at the computer store.

First off, video games are nothing more than toys. They are for passing time, they are games, and they deal in fantasy. They are the very definition of what makes up a toy. Playing video games is no different than playing with Legos of Lincoln Logs.

Are these toys some more advanced than children's toys? I know that "gamers" will say yes. However, you have got o remember that kids 10-12 years old play the same video games that adults do and they play them just as well or better. I have kids and they have friends. Unfortunately I have to shell out money to buy these things. Occasionally I am subjected to having to play with them in the execution of dad duties.

Thus, "gamers" are spending hours playing with toys that are enjoyed regularly by children in the 10-12 year old age group.

Now imagine how it would be perceived if adults were playing with other toys routinely enjoyed by kids in the 10-12 year old age group. Here are some of those kiddie games and activities:

- riding bikes
- playing pretend war
- making and flying paper airplanes
- playing with toy cars and RC cars
- playing hide and seek
- throwing around a football
-playing dodgeball

If an adult were to regularly engage in these activities they would be referred to a mental health professional for an evaluation. They would most certainly be deemed a man-child or woman-child and appropriately shunned by society.

Thus, I submit that adults playing video games for the purpose of personal amusement have got something seriously wrong with them on a psychological and/or emotional level. One would think that something traumatic happened in their childhood to arrest their development, such as sexual abuse. But, frankly, childish behavior and immaturity seems to be widespread, and even embraced, by today's millennial kids.

Whatever the case, clearly we have failed our children and our nation by producing an entire generation of slobbering morons who still play with children's toys well into adulthood.
Utterly absurb rantings...

I'm 49

I don't have a car, I have a bike

I love comic books and cartoons

I'm a gamer...as well as my 19 yr old son

I still have and from time to time, still play,
Nintendo 64, game cube, PS (one)and PS 2,
PS 3, Xbox one, are hooked up to the TV

Our game collection easily, 200,
this does not include my PC games

I play with Lego's, hide & seek, cops & robbers,
when I'm with my nephew

build sandcastles when I'm at the beach,
or make angels in the snow,....

I have a closet full of board games

We have a nice RC 4x4 and a camera drone

I have a snowboard and a sled

This weekend I'm going roller skating

I have my own pool stick, darts and bowling ball

I have a ping pong & air hockey table

I blow bubbles for my doggie

I love playing frisbee

Shit, I still fly kites up at the park

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me,
When I die, my son will have many happy memories,
of the fun times we shared, having fun !

I hope you don't have children...
Go crawl back under your rock!

I used to play some video games, not much anymore though. I sometimes play computer games, but usually just when I have nothing else to do. I used to be addicted to that James Bond game, Golden Eye. :lol: Also, I liked Army Men. Oh yeah.

Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis

I like seeing concept games such as Aquaman (DC Comics) adapted video games.

You explore alternative environments and do fun hands-on things with beloved superheroes.

Aquaman stands out if you're into the whole aquarium/SeaWorld thing, and you can also punch the villain Black Manta.

I'll never get tired of Aquaman interpretations on video game consoles.

Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis (Wikipedia)

aquaman.jpg

The older I get, the less I play, but I would disagree. I'm 36 now, and I only play a few hours per week on average. Sometimes I go weeks or even months without playing, but I usually come back eventually. To me, it's no different than an adult wanting to watch a Pixar movie or go watch miniature golf. Also, most games these days aren't kid-friendly since the gamers who grew up in the 80's are all old like myself.

Instant Classic Games

I just played a game of NCAA Football 11 (EA Sports) on my PS3. I was Penn State and I played the computer team Notre Dame.

Penn State and Notre Dame are not traditional rivals, but given how both schools have boasted storied programs, great coaches (Paterno and Holtz), and similar fanfare, it's a cult-favorite 'media rivalry.'

So the game went back-and-forth, and Notre Dame scored late in the 4th quarter (with 50 seconds left to play), giving them a 24-31 lead. I managed to miraculously craft 3 great elegant pass-plays to score a touchdown with only 10 seconds left to play. I decided to go for the win with a 2-point conversion but came up short. I lost the game 30-31, but it was categorized as an 'Instant Classic Game' by the CPU. I can now relish that over and over.

Now, is that a fun story because I love video games or because I love the PSU-ND rivalry?

====

PATERNO: Gee, we almost pulled out a victory at the end...
HOLTZ: Our goal-line defense made a great stand.
PATERNO: We should've won.
HOLTZ: Well, maybe next time, you'll get lucky.
PATERNO: Next time, we'll try something different.
HOLTZ: They should make a movie about the PSU-ND rivalry.
PATERNO: Or at least a video game!
HOLTZ: I worry about kids becoming addicted to video games.

====

NCAA Football 11 - EA Sports (Wikipedia)

ncaa.jpg

I've seen a few articles on how football coaches are finding that kids who play the high end football video games are well prepared to play the real thing because they recognize plays as they develop.

Forum List

Back