Adult Swim Thread...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Figured i'd start one to discuss adult swim shows. I know at least Dan and myself will respond to it.

The new Aqua teens are awfully, well, weird. An episode about a giant penis cutting off penis' and building a penis ship is weirder than normal for ATHF. Then the last one where they make a dog and it wants to rape Carl. It was funny but definitely off the wall.

Frisky Dingo is now on my tivo schedule. Killface is the funniest part of the show i think but its worth watching all around.

Stroker and Hoop is all reruns but they are classic.

When the hell is new Korgath coming?

Robot Chicken has some good moments but its begining to bore me.

Harvey Birdman is always good.

Thats all my random thoughts on the Comedy Part of AS. Anime is all different and im not sure if anyone on here likes anime, so why bore people with my musings on the shows.

I'm really enjoying the new lineup, it reminds me of old-school Adult Swim (all the way in 2004).

Aqua Teen I thought was great last night. They're using Carl a lot this season, which is fine right now, but I worry that he'll get old after a while. Let's give Shake the spotlight a little. That said, this week's was better than last week's. I loved that Handbanana "brought this family together" even as he was raping Carl. And Carl getting nude in his backyard was pretty funny, too.

I officially like Frisky Dingo. At first, I wasn't sure, but it's good stuff. You can definitely tell it's the same team behind Sealab, I think that's why I like it.

I don't like Stroker and Hoop at all. Never even been able to sit through a full episode of it.

Ditto Korgath.

I'm with you on Robot Chicken. At first, I thought it was okay, nothing great, but bearable. Now, I really never even watch it anymore. It's basically the same thing every single week (80's toys in adult situations and/or movie parodies). It's like they took a Family Guy script, removed all the plot, and just left the cutaway jokes. The unfunny ones, i mean.

Birdman is good, I'm sad to see it go. I was afraid it wouldn't work without Stephen Colbert, but last night's was good and Colbert-less.

No love for 12 Oz. Mouse? It's definitely the most out-there of any of the Adult Swim shows, but I've really gotten into it. It sort of reminds me of Twin Peaks. I've heard that it makes it better if you've been hanging with your little green friend, if you know what I mean.

12 oz mouse i tried but the animation remind me too much of squidbillies. Just can't handle it.

Stroker and Hoop has this strange humor that hits you at different angles. Like the last episode i watched had them as body guards for MC Homicidal Rapist. I thought that was hillarious in and of itself. Stroker is just such an ass to people and Hoop is such a dumbass but not in a retarded way (more like a strung out hippy kinda way) it makes for good tv.

Yea the leaving of Stephen Colbert i hope doesnt hurt Birdman. Phil's antics were some of the best moments in that show.

You like the anime at all, Dan?

I forgot Squidbillies! I love Squidbillies, even when it's way too weird, it's still different, and I really like the way it's drawn.

Metalocalypse doesn't do much for me. I assume you have to be a fan of death metal to truly appreciate it?

Insein, there are a few anime shows that I can sort of get into, Samurai Champloo being the standout, but I don't really watch any of them all that often. I appreciate anime, as it is probably some of the best animation anywhere, but I'm almost always busy on Saturday nights, and besides that, I assume Adult Swim edits the anime they show (is this true?), so I'd really rather see the DVDs anyway.

Unless we're including Super Milk Chan in this category, because I loves me some Milk Chan!

I forgot Squidbillies! I love Squidbillies, even when it's way too weird, it's still different, and I really like the way it's drawn.

Metalocalypse doesn't do much for me. I assume you have to be a fan of death metal to truly appreciate it?

Insein, there are a few anime shows that I can sort of get into, Samurai Champloo being the standout, but I don't really watch any of them all that often. I appreciate anime, as it is probably some of the best animation anywhere, but I'm almost always busy on Saturday nights, and besides that, I assume Adult Swim edits the anime they show (is this true?), so I'd really rather see the DVDs anyway.

Unless we're including Super Milk Chan in this category, because I loves me some Milk Chan!

Cartoon network edits the anime during the day like Dragonball, One Piece and such. Adult swim for the most part keeps them unedited. Most of the violence is intact. Im not sure about some of the translations as the character reactions don't always coincide with the words that they are speaking.

Anyway, yes Shamploo is like #2 for me behind Cowboy bebop. Ghost in the Shell is also right up there for the action and some of the best animation around. FLCL is great cause its a mind trip with only 6 episodes and you seem to notice something different everytime you watch it. Bleach has an interesting storyline and chracters you can grow to like. Trinity blood is out there (as most animes are). Don't know if i'll get into it so much. The rest bore me like Full MEtal Alchemist and Inuyasha.

Cartoon network edits the anime during the day like Dragonball, One Piece and such. Adult swim for the most part keeps them unedited. Most of the violence is intact. Im not sure about some of the translations as the character reactions don't always coincide with the words that they are speaking.

Anyway, yes Shamploo is like #2 for me behind Cowboy bebop. Ghost in the Shell is also right up there for the action and some of the best animation around. FLCL is great cause its a mind trip with only 6 episodes and you seem to notice something different everytime you watch it. Bleach has an interesting storyline and chracters you can grow to like. Trinity blood is out there (as most animes are). Don't know if i'll get into it so much. The rest bore me like Full MEtal Alchemist and Inuyasha.

Awwww, I like Full Metal Alchemist. Of course, the first time I watched it, it was on downloaded fan subs acquired by the school anime club, so I got to see 2-4 episodes at a time...

Awwww, I like Full Metal Alchemist. Of course, the first time I watched it, it was on downloaded fan subs acquired by the school anime club, so I got to see 2-4 episodes at a time...

I tried watching Full metal. I was interested for about 10-15 episodes. Then i realized it was EXACTLY like Inuyasha where they wonder around endlessly looking for the philosopher's stone/sacred jewel without ever confronting the enemy in a final battle. Too many episodes no climax. The reason shows like Dragonball were so successful is because they have an enemy thats the biggest baddest enemy ever. They DB guys go kick their asses over the course of 25-50 episodes but you get to a climax. Then the story goes on after the climax and you start all over. Inuyasha and FMA never end. They just keep running around like assholes and never find out whats going on.

Also a reason why i love anime's like Cowboy Bebop, Samarai Shamploo and FLCL. They have a limited number of episodes that tell a story, get to the point and have a climax. Lots of action packed into a short amount of time that leaves you wanting more when its all over.

The serial aspect is one thing I like about some anime. That's also partially why I like 12 Oz. Mouse, though I can't say I'm sure the storyline will go anywhere (or has gone anywhere).

I tried watching Full metal. I was interested for about 10-15 episodes. Then i realized it was EXACTLY like Inuyasha where they wonder around endlessly looking for the philosopher's stone/sacred jewel without ever confronting the enemy in a final battle. Too many episodes no climax. The reason shows like Dragonball were so successful is because they have an enemy thats the biggest baddest enemy ever. They DB guys go kick their asses over the course of 25-50 episodes but you get to a climax. Then the story goes on after the climax and you start all over. Inuyasha and FMA never end. They just keep running around like assholes and never find out whats going on.

Also a reason why i love anime's like Cowboy Bebop, Samarai Shamploo and FLCL. They have a limited number of episodes that tell a story, get to the point and have a climax. Lots of action packed into a short amount of time that leaves you wanting more when its all over.

If that's what you think of Full Metal, then you didn't watch enough. It's got 51 episodes and then ends, and a little less than halfway through, the entire plot gets turned on its head and spirals out of control. The last 5-10 episodes will make your head explode.

If that's what you think of Full Metal, then you didn't watch enough. It's got 51 episodes and then ends, and a little less than halfway through, the entire plot gets turned on its head and spirals out of control. The last 5-10 episodes will make your head explode.

Well from the episodes i did watch of full metal, I gradually lost interest. Same for Inuyasha. I was curious to see what happened at the end of Inuyasha since i watched about 60-70 episodes of it. It turns out that there were 167 episodes and then it abruptly ended in Japan without ever resolving the story. Talk about a screwjob to the fans. To anyone that actually watched all 167 episodes, thats just a Big FU from the writers to drag them along for that long and never resolve anything.

Full metal i watched the battles with the humochuli and got bored because they didnt go anywhere. Then he just all of sudden is transformed to the past? Didnt get it at that point. I know the story has a culmination from what people have told me (a sad one at that), but i dont have a vested interest anymore in the show. Only show i ever watched ever single episode of from the very first to the very last was Dragonball/ DBZ/ DBGT. Obviously most were in japanese but i made it through them all. It also helps when you have them all right there to watch instead of waiting a week to see the next one.

Bebop, Shamploo and FLCL reruns captivate me more. Also I wish they would show the rest of the GITS: 2nd Gig episodes. They stopped right in the middle of the story. Most other animes they show are too hard to follow from week to week because, well, Japanese people are weird.

MAn they took Birdman away after only 3 weeks for gay ass Moral Oral?

Frisky Dingo is hillarious. I love how they only go on for 5 seconds and he ends up choosing the other guys thing anyway, lol.

ATHF was alittle weak i thought. Shake eating a scorpion was funny though.

Robot Chicken was actually decent. MArio Bros in Vice City was funny, then Yoshi in Racoon city. The resident evil fan in me got a kick out of that.

Aqua Teen was okay, really morbid, though.

Did you see Squidbillies? That show gets better every week, for me anyway.

And not that I guess you care too much, but 12 Oz. Mouse was pretty good. I think there are only three or four episodes of that show left.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=82Gn6pjDHos"]Best Entrance Ever[/ame]

Seriously, I cant believe you guys havent mentioned one of the funniest shows out there.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=JK3668Tygtg"]The Lengths some will go to get a Ciggerette[/ame]

Forum List

Back