Adult Stem Cell Research Keeps Producing Impressive Results

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Stem Cell Injections Fight Muscular Dystrophy in Dogs
By Malcolm Ritter, The Associated Press
11/16/2006

NEW YORK — Stem cell injections worked remarkably well at easing symptoms of muscular dystrophy in a group of golden retrievers, a result that experts call a significant step toward treating people.

"It's a great breakthrough for all of us working on stem cells for muscular dystrophy," said researcher Johnny Huard of the University of Pittsburgh, who wasn't involved in the work.

Sharon Hesterlee, vice president of translational research at the Muscular Dystrophy Association, called the result one of the most exciting she's seen. Her organization helped pay for the work. She stressed that it's not yet clear whether such a treatment would work in people.

Two dogs that were severely disabled by the disease were able to walk faster and even jump after the treatments.

The study was published online Wednesday by the journal Nature. It used stem cells taken from the affected dogs or other dogs, rather than from embryos. For human use, the idea of using such "adult" stem cells from humans would avoid the controversial method of destroying human embryos to obtain stem cells.

for full article:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...D9B5B942D3C6D43F86257228001A8CA4?OpenDocument

NOOOOOO!!!!

We can't just use the simple option of sticking with adult stem cell research. We would have one less method of dividing and confusing national politics!

:beer:

I really believe that when a majority of people hear about all the progress being made in the field of stem cell research, they think it is embryonic stem cell research that is being discussed rather than adult stem cell research. There is a BIG, BIG difference between the two. The most important difference politically is that no one has any concerns about adult stem cell research moving full speed ahead.

:beer:

I really believe that when a majority of people hear about all the progress being made in the field of stem cell research, they think it is embryonic stem cell research that is being discussed rather than adult stem cell research. There is a BIG, BIG difference between the two. The most important difference politically is that no one has any concerns about adult stem cell research moving full speed ahead.

I have spoken with people who had no idea there was a difference between adult and embryonic stem cell research. They had just heard about "stem cell research," period. Amazing to me that people press so hard for embryonic SCR... it's sheer craziness when ALL the progress has been made with adult SCR. The ONLY reason for the big push for ESCR is political power.

Forum List

Back