Admiring Buddhism.

Nov 1, 2014
Idaho
I know so little about this religion. I know the basics about Prince Siddhartha's quest to answer the dilemma of human suffering. I know what I can glean off of wikipedia and other sources, but they can't answer the real questions I have about Buddhism as a world religion.

buddhist-monk-teaching-children.jpg

I observe that this is an ancient religion, older than Christianity, with millions of adherents and a tradition that spans the centuries and weathers the changes of time....much like my own Catholic tradition.

And I also see that many people decide to dedicate their lives to this religion, joining monasteries, foregoing the passing pleasures of this life and living an austere existence in pursuit of spiritual perfection, many more so than Catholic and Orthodox monks and nuns. What kind of religion inspires such dedication?

I was angry that Islam, a POS religion I'll never respect, destroyed Buddhist statues that were 2000 years old, and then marveled that there were statues of such astonishing antiquity.

I sense greatness in Buddhism and I dare not disrespect such an awe inspiring religion, philosophy, and way of life. So here's the point of my thread. Can anyone give me more insight into the passion of Buddhism, why it's so popular even today, why it's spreading across the globe, and why it inspires such remarkable zeal in its adherents.

No I'm not thinking of becoming one and would never abandon my Catholic faith. And as a cautionary note, this thread is not an invitation to attack Buddhism and demonstrate the theological incorrectness of its teachings. So you'll understand, being forewarned, that I'll disregard any posts that do that. I'm just searching for anyone with insight into this marvelous and very ancient body of beliefs.

I know were there nearest Buddhist temple is, just like the nearest Christian church is. God doesn't need a shrine, seek the truth, brother.

You needn't betray your religion in order to discover wisdom, lessons, and inspiration from another religion.

you don't need the internet to find the truth.

It can't hurt. No offense, but you're not the person I'm looking for. I'm searching for somebody with insight into how this religion inspires so many and to such a degree that they order their entire lives to its governing philosophies. I'm genuinely curious about what I view as a truly remarkable religion.

I know so little about this religion. I know the basics about Prince Siddhartha's quest to answer the dilemma of human suffering. I know what I can glean off of wikipedia and other sources, but they can't answer the real questions I have about Buddhism as a world religion.

I observe that this is an ancient religion, older than Christianity, with millions of adherents and a tradition that spans the centuries and weathers the changes of time....much like my own Catholic tradition.

And I also see that many people decide to dedicate their lives to this religion, joining monasteries, foregoing the passing pleasures of this life and living an austere existence in pursuit of spiritual perfection, many more so than Catholic and Orthodox monks and nuns. What kind of religion inspires such dedication?

I was angry that Islam, a POS religion I'll never respect, destroyed Buddhist statues that were 2000 years old, and then marveled that there were statues of such astonishing antiquity.

I sense greatness in Buddhism and I dare not disrespect such an awe inspiring religion, philosophy, and way of life. So here's the point of my thread. Can anyone give me more insight into the passion of Buddhism, why it's so popular even today, why it's spreading across the globe, and why it inspires such remarkable zeal in its adherents.

No I'm not thinking of becoming one and would never abandon my Catholic faith. And as a cautionary note, this thread is not an invitation to attack Buddhism and demonstrate the theological incorrectness of its teachings. So you'll understand, being forewarned, that I'll disregard any posts that do that. I'm just searching for anyone with insight into this marvelous and very ancient body of beliefs.

Read "The Dhammapada." It's a beautiful book. No one is condemned in it, it never strikes fear into you, it doesn't threaten an eternity of torment... it's just a book of words that speak to the soul.

It can't hurt. No offense, but you're not the person I'm looking for. I'm searching for somebody with insight into how this religion inspires so many and to such a degree that they order their entire lives to its governing philosophies. I'm genuinely curious about what I view as a truly remarkable religion.

I thought you were a Christian?

You imply that he cannot find wisdom, and learn lessons, and gain inspiration from Buddhism without converting from Christianity or failing as a Christian.

I think you should no read fancy books ABOUT Budddhism. .
Make a holiday in, say, Thailand. Look for a monestary with some english speaking monks.
Be a bit generous and find out if some of them are willing to introduce their views. Normally the are, without missionary ambitions. There are a lot of temple areas in Bangkok alone, like this one:
the Wat Phra Kaew
wat-phra-keaw-bangkok-1.jpg

where you can get into contact.

I am an atheist., but I really enjoyed sharing views on life with them.

How is being curious about another religion a contradiction to being Christian? I don't know how ignorance serves God's holy Church more than education. I don't see the contradiction that you seem to.

I'm taking a look at this and it seems like a catechism of Buddhist philosophies. Hard to read. But skipping through it I'm finding gems like this:

In the body restraint is good, good is restraint in speech, in thought restraint is good, good is restraint in all things. A Bhikshu, restrained in all things, is freed from all pain.
He who controls his hand, he who controls his feet, he who controls his speech, he who is well controlled, he who delights inwardly, who is collected, who is solitary and content, him they call Bhikshu.

Which coincides with the Christian belief that in self restraint is true freedom. Abandonment to fleshly gratification leads to bondage, but restraint leads to freedom, joy, and peace, and correct spiritual alignment.

The Asian culture is one of discipline, one that we would find too constraining, too stifling of personal ambition and free expression. But there's many things to admire. They respect their leaders, their elders, their parents, and their teachers. Their whole society is built on respect. I got a taste of this during my tour in Korea, the bowing, the shaking hands with both hands, the genuine respect that can't be feigned. They had a way of truly making you feel honored to be in their presence. And did this inhibit genuine affection? I've seen Korean soldiers walking hand in hand while talking, not because they were gay, but because their society does not fear intimate friendship between men. Men holding hands is common.

It's a different culture and I'm on the outside looking in, but I find it fascinating and we could learn a few things from them.

I know were there nearest Buddhist temple is, just like the nearest Christian church is. God doesn't need a shrine, seek the truth, brother.

I am seeking the truth. Hence this thread.

You should be seeking the truth in the Holy Bible - authorized King James version. Not a Buddhist temple or a Roman Catholic Institution. See the truth about God from the Word of God. Not man.

I am seeking the truth. Hence this thread.

You should be seeking the truth in the Holy Bible - authorized King James version. Not a Buddhist temple or a Roman Catholic Institution. See the truth about God from the Word of God. Not man.

People like you don't seek truth, you're terrified of it, chasing it away with pitchforks and torches. People like you think in tiny little circles, making sure nothing penetrates your little bubble of accepted viewpoints of the world. You're even more closed minded than most Protestants who don't go around idiotically claiming that Catholics aren't Christian. You despise truth and prefer doctrine, intransigent and shielded from critical thought, outside of which all else is considered worthless and anathema. You aren't a truth seeker and you aren't a thinker and you are not what this thread is seeking.

I thank God I'm nothing like you.

https://www.bps.lk/olib/bp/bp524s_Buddharakkhita_Metta.pdf

A translation with extensive commentary on the Metta Sutta.

"The Pali word mettá is a multi-significant term meaning loving kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, amity, concord, inoffensiveness and non-violence. The Pali commentators define mettá as the strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others (parahita- parasukha-karana). Essentially mettá is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest."

Forum List

Back