Admirable, and Regrettable

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
One of the most hackneyed writing topics in school is "what do you want to be when you grow up?" For older students this can be couched in more serious-sounding terms such as "what career path do you think is most suitable to your individual skills and interests?" but it's really the same thing. Working with students, some of whom have come through some very difficult circumstances in their lives, I have noticed a pattern. Many of the students who have experienced some traumatic experiences indicate an interest in careers in medicine or law enforcement/military. The reasons for this are obvious. Although it is admirable to hear so many bright young people express an interest in healing or protecting others, the deeper conclusions can really make you think.

One of the most hackneyed writing topics in school is "what do you want to be when you grow up?" For older students this can be couched in more serious-sounding terms such as "what career path do you think is most suitable to your individual skills and interests?" but it's really the same thing. Working with students, some of whom have come through some very difficult circumstances in their lives, I have noticed a pattern. Many of the students who have experienced some traumatic experiences indicate an interest in careers in medicine or law enforcement/military. The reasons for this are obvious. Although it is admirable to hear so many bright young people express an interest in healing or protecting others, the deeper conclusions can really make you think.

Not all of those who go into law-enforcement and the military, are out for revenge. There's no better way to give something back to your country, than to choose those as an occupation.

Personally, I ended up in the military in the early 70's because it was either that, or go to prison. But don't tell anyone. I told you that.

:laughing0301:

Not all of those who go into law-enforcement and the military, are out for revenge. There's no better way to give something back to your country, than to choose those as an occupation.

Personally, I ended up in the military in the early 70's because it was either that, or go to prison. But don't tell anyone. I told you that.

I don't think revenge has anything to do with it.

You said "Many of the students who have experienced some traumatic experiences indicate an interest in careers in medicine or law enforcement/military. The reasons for this are obvious."

Yet you didn't state the reasons, so I assumed either "revenge" or the possibility that they wanted to prevent that from happening to anyone else.

Amirite?

You said "Many of the students who have experienced some traumatic experiences indicate an interest in careers in medicine or law enforcement/military. The reasons for this are obvious."

Yet you didn't state the reasons, so I assumed either "revenge" or the possibility that they wanted to prevent that from happening to anyone else.

Amirite?

The latter.

Amirite?

The latter.

ok. But there were many who joined the military after 9/11, with the sole purpose of retribution. Not that I blame them.

Amirite?

The latter.

ok. But there were many who joined the military after 9/11, with the sole purpose of retribution. Not that I blame them.

Unlikely to be in my high school classes.

Why is this in the immigration forum?

Why is this in the immigration forum?

Because the students in question happened to be immigrants as well.

Forum List

Back