Acts 10:34-35; if "God does NOT show favoritism," why do some Christians?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
My other thread about this issue in the Palestine - Israel conflict was closed because the OP didn't plainly state what I meant in citing this Scripture, but if the New Testament in the Bible says that "God does not show favoritism" — and it does say that — why do some Christians continue to show racial favoritism toward the Jews?...

Acts 10:34-35, NIV
(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

-

My other thread about this issue in the Palestine - Israel conflict was closed because the OP didn't plainly state what I meant in citing this Scripture, but if the New Testament in the Bible says that "God does not show favoritism" — and it does say that — why do some Christians continue to show racial favoritism toward the Jews?...

(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

-
1. Because "Jew" is not a race.
2. Because the Nation of Israel is God's chosen people and God's Word is plain when it states that He will bless those who bless her.

What else do you need?

-
2. Because the Nation of Israel is God's chosen people and God's Word is plain when it states that He will bless those who bless her.

What else do you need?

"Israeli" (or Jew) is a race. And that is the OLD TESTAMENT and not the NEW. Do you know what an "Old Testament" is? and what a "New Testament" is, and why Acts 10:34-35 therefore outranks whatever you are citing from the OLD TESTAMENT?

Acts 10:34-35 is right in front of your face...WHY SHUT YOUR EYES TO IT???

Last edited:

-

What else do you need?

"Israeli" (or Jew) is a race. And that is the OLD TESTAMENT and not the NEW. Do you know what an "Old Testament" is? and what a "New Testament" is, and why Acts 10:34-35 therefore outranks whatever you are citing from the OLD TESTAMENT?

-

1. "Jew" is a religious, national, familial designation, not a genetic disposition.
2. Jews are Semites, so are Arabs.
3. The major racial classifications are Caucasian (which includes Semites), Mongolian, and Negroid.

Thus, "Jew" is NOT a racial classification.

Now, please show me exactly where God decided that He was no longer going to honor the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

-

What else do you need?

Of course Israeli or Jew is a race.

That race is called "Human".

-

What else do you need?

Of course Israeli or Jew is a race.

That race is called "Human".
Yes.

-

What else do you need?

-

1. "Jew" is a religious, national, familial designation, not a genetic disposition.
3. The major racial classifications are Caucasian (which includes Semites), Mongolian, and Negroid.

Now, please show me exactly where God decided that He was no longer going to honor the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

"Race" means a group of descendants, but whatever terminology you want to use, Acts 10:34-35 is crystal clear. What ever you judge Jews to be, Acts 10:34-35, which I did not write but was written a long time ago, says:

How is it not clear that Acts 10:34-35 and anything else in the NEW Testament outranks anything that is in the Old Testament? Again, I didn't say it, but Acts 10:34-35 says it,

... God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

I see no right of a Christian to continue to racially (or whatever other term you want to use) favor the Jews, when the Bible says that "God does not show favoritism."

-

Last edited:

-

What else do you need?

-

"Race" means a group of descendants, but whatever terminology you want to use, Acts 10:34-35 is crystal clear. What ever you judge Jews to be, Acts 10:34-35, which I did not write but was written a long time ago, says:

How is it not clear that Acts 10:34-35 and anything else in the NEW Testament outranks anything that is in the Old Testament? Again, I didn't say it, but Acts 10:34-35 says,

What part of this (...God does not show favoritism...) would be unclear? :lol:
Are you thus saying that God has abandoned the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the one He said would stand forever?

You seem fixed on one portion of Scripture. Consider some others:

Romans 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 2:8-10
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

It's clear, that while God makes no distinction among those He accepts, the Jews still have an honored place in His heart.

Again, are you saying that God has abandoned the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

-

What else do you need?

-

How is it not clear that Acts 10:34-35 and anything else in the NEW Testament outranks anything that is in the Old Testament? Again, I didn't say it, but Acts 10:34-35 says,

Are you thus saying that God has abandoned the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the one He said would stand forever?

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

It's clear, that while God makes no distinction among those He accepts, the Jews still have an honored place in His heart.

Again, are you saying that God has abandoned the covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

I edited the post to which you are replying. Maybe what I am saying has been made more clear by my edit. But the NEW Testament: God DOES NOT show favoritism. The OLD Testament: God does.

This is what the NEW Testament says about Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob:

Matt. 8:11-12, KJV
(11)And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. (12)But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

-

-
God gave each their own set of host to rule over heaven and earth (the human that is made from the dust of the ground and given breath to make it alive). No discrimination there. As a human being you make choices and the Lord even gave you a set of spiritual hosts for those choices you may make.

God gave each their own set of host to rule over heaven and earth (the human that is made from the dust of the ground and given breath to make it alive). No discrimination there. As a human being you make choices and the Lord even gave you a set of spiritual hosts for those choices you may make.

Well I'm an Agnostic, but Acts 10:34-35 is pretty clear to me...I'm leaving the site right now. I intend to come back later on. :)

-

What else do you need?

-

I edited the post to which you are replying. Maybe what I am saying has been made more clear by my edit. But the NEW Testament: God DOES NOT show favoritism. The OLD Testament: God does.

-
You're taking a quote that applies to one area (salvation), and applying it universally. That's dangerous. Absolutely, God shows no favoritism when it comes to salvation itself. But be VERY careful not to apply that where it does not apply. You keep repeating one phrase from one thing that one man had to say. Here are some other things that come from the NT, Romans 9 specifically:
14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”
18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Well I'm an Agnostic, but Acts 10:34-35 is pretty clear to me...I'm leaving the site right now. I intend to come back later on. :)
-

Yes many things are clear but many things are also ignored in the Bible. Especially if you are looking at it and desiring to split hairs.
Here some thoughts for you to consider again each individual has hosts created to rule over them (carnal flesh bodies that we all live in at the moment- with spirit in us, humankind was created from the breath of the Spirit that gave us life). There are two types of spiritual hosts for ruling over the spirit of humankind. Each has a set of spiritual hosts to bring along that portion of the Son of God in each and there are hosts created to rule over the unruly portion which is called the son of perdition (the beastly portion). There are portions of nations in each individual also, landmarks, cells, walls and divisions in that red earth 'adam' called human in this world (the person who is a garden planted by Jehovah).
Genesis 2:1-5, 1Corinthian 15:44-49, Luke 17:21

Psalm 103:19 The LORD has established His throne in heaven,
And His kingdom rules over all.

When you get to the other side recite that scripture to the heathens that were standing on their roof tops watching that ark float off.

When you get to the other side recite that scripture to the heathens that were standing on their roof tops watching that ark float off.
Well you could take that another step and read The Book of Jasher and the Book of Enoch (can't recall off hand which that is in) and see where the animals in the Ark chase away the animals outside of the Ark.

-

What else do you need?

According to law Jew is a race

And then the Christians stole that from the Jews, closely followed by the muslims who spout it all the time.

-

What else do you need?

According to law Jew is a race

And then the Christians stole that from the Jews, closely followed by the muslims who spout it all the time.
Sounds to me like some people just want another reason to hate Jews.

-

-
You're taking a quote that applies to one area (salvation), and applying it universally. That's dangerous. Absolutely, God shows no favoritism when it comes to salvation itself. But be VERY careful not to apply that where it does not apply. You keep repeating one phrase from one thing that one man had to say. Here are some other things that come from the NT, Romans 9 specifically:
14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”
18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

You are adding to the Scripture what it does not say and nothing that you cited anywhere here shows God as showing favoritism.

Acts 10:34-35 again says, "God does not show favoritism"...it does not say, "God does not show favoritism when it comes to salvation but does when it comes to race (/ethnicity/nationality/etc.)" In fact the whole context of the passage shows exactly that God DOES NOT SHOW FAVORITISM when it comes to race/ethnicity/etc...the whole context being:

Acts 10, NIV
New International Version (NIV)

Cornelius Calls for Peter

(1)At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. (2)He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. (3)One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

(4)Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. (5)Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. (6)He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

(7)When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. (8)He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

Peter’s Vision
(9)About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. (10)He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. (11)He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. (12)It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. (13)Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

(14)“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

(15)The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

(16)This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

(17)While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. (18)They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

(19)While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three men are looking for you. (20)So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

(21)Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

(22)The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” (23)Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Peter at Cornelius’s House
The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the believers from Joppa went along. (24)The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. (25)As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. (26)But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”

(27)While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. (28)He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. (29)So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

(30)Cornelius answered: “Three days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me (31) and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. (32)Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.’ (33)So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.”

(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. (36)You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. (37)You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— (38)how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

(39)“We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, (40)but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. (41)He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. (42)He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. (43)All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

(44)While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. (45)The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. (46)For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, (47)“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” (48)So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back