ACLU Sues Newark

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss

ACLU Sues Newark over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com

Not everyone is happy about the $100 million donation Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark to improve its troubled schools.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the city on behalf of a parents group because details about how the money will be spent have been kept under wraps. The suit says that plans, and in particular, any written correspondence between city and state officials and Zuckerberg, are subject to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act.

So, since the state is not sharing with the ACLU, they are going to sue, thus costing the state money.

Brilliant, just friggin brilliant.

ACLU Sues Newark over $100M Gift From Facebook Boss - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com

Not everyone is happy about the $100 million donation Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark to improve its troubled schools.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the city on behalf of a parents group because details about how the money will be spent have been kept under wraps. The suit says that plans, and in particular, any written correspondence between city and state officials and Zuckerberg, are subject to New Jersey's Open Public Records Act.

So, since the state is not sharing with the ACLU, they are going to sue, thus costing the state money.

Normally, I agree with most of your positions, or at least sympathize with them. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though TT.

All I get out of this is that they want the details made public. Where the money goes, what it's used for, etc. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless you have another article someplace supporting your position that the ACLU wants some of the money for themselves, I think you're off base here my friend.

Huh? if Zuckerberg wants to give money to Newarks schools thats his business, why is the ACLU suing anyone?

I'm torn about this TT. I am def. a fan of "public/private partnerships" but the whole deal appears pretty shady. A lawsuit can be avoided if they just share the info. as per the Open Records Act.

Normally, I agree with most of your positions, or at least sympathize with them. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here though TT.

All I get out of this is that they want the details made public. Where the money goes, what it's used for, etc. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless you have another article someplace supporting your position that the ACLU wants some of the money for themselves, I think you're off base here my friend.

fair enough.

Here's the thing. ACLU would have a point if it were tax money. It's not, it was a donation to be used for schools, and by suing, they are taking money from the state for no other reason than they want to know.

this has zilch to do with civil liberties.

Huh? if Zuckerberg wants to give money to Newarks schools thats his business, why is the ACLU suing anyone?

B/c Gov Cristi (R) isn't sharing how he plans on spending the money.

Don't worry guys, they will find a child molester to defend soon enough & this story will blow away into the netherland of "yesterday's news"...

if the aclu is right why should the city get to ignore the law?

and if you're concerned about costing the city money i'll just say we have open records acts for good reasons - and some of those reasons involve corruption and waste prevention - which could potentially cost far more than any one lawsuit.

I'm torn about this TT. I am def. a fan of "public/private partnerships" but the whole deal appears pretty shady. A lawsuit can be avoided if they just share the info. as per the Open Records Act.

Why sue for the info?

Why not just take it to the public and stir shit up that way? It's free.

Liberal idiocy at its finest.

Why sue for the info?

Why not just take it to the public and stir shit up that way? It's free.

because a stirred up public doesn't always get the info.

a court order does.

Moreover, the ACLU contends that because the donation will have a significant impact on Newark public school children, the city is obligated to be completely transparent with how the money was obtained and how it will be spent.

The motion states that the Secondary Parent Council and Newark taxpayers in general "have a strong interest in ensuring that the appropriate public officials, rather than private individuals, decide how to allocate the donated funds; or alternatively, an interest in knowing to what extent the private provenance of these funds affects the allocation of decisions."

ACLU suing Newark over transparency in Facebook founder's $100M donation to city schools | NJ.com

Why is the city being so secretive to begin with?

Liberal idiocy at its finest.
you're right. transparent government is such a dumb liberal idea.

This has nothing to do with transparency in government. This has everything to do with jealousy from a group with an agenda.

A private citizen should be able to make a donation to a school.

jesus some people...

nobody is saying that he can't. but how that money is allocated and spent should be open to public review - which is what the suit is over.

so the next you feel the need to spout off about something maybe you should feel a stronger need to know what it is you're talking about.

The point of the story to me is why is the ACLU so interested in this?
What civil liberty is offended?
Guess I am curious as to why the ACLU cares one way or another.
Why were they trying to find the info out in the first place?
There is more to this story somewhere.

you're right. transparent government is such a dumb liberal idea.

This has nothing to do with transparency in government. This has everything to do with jealousy from a group with an agenda.

A private citizen should be able to make a donation to a school.

jesus some people...

nobody is saying that he can't. but how that money is allocated and spent should be open to public review - which is what the suit is over.

so the next you feel the need to spout off about something maybe you should feel a stronger need to know what it is you're talking about.

It will be. Has any money been spent yet? Do they have a fucking school board that must report expenditures.

Jesus before you bitch, lets see what they decided. Freaking cry babies.

Moreover, the ACLU contends that because the donation will have a significant impact on Newark public school children, the city is obligated to be completely transparent with how the money was obtained and how it will be spent.

The motion states that the Secondary Parent Council and Newark taxpayers in general "have a strong interest in ensuring that the appropriate public officials, rather than private individuals, decide how to allocate the donated funds; or alternatively, an interest in knowing to what extent the private provenance of these funds affects the allocation of decisions."

ACLU suing Newark over transparency in Facebook founder's $100M donation to city schools | NJ.com

Why is the city being so secretive to begin with?

$100 million is a LOT of money.

One slip, one penny goes someplace where some people [the aclu] don't want, and it's a bigger shit storm than ever.

And considering I have never heard of a person donating so much to a school system, no one wants it screwed up, thus scaring off any future plans another wealthy person may have of doing something like it.

Forum List

Back