Achmed of Green Gables

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Enjoy your Sharia burger.

Earlier this year, CBC ran a glowing profile of the only slaughterhouse in Atlantic Canada.

While Atlantic Beef Products isnā€™t a high-volume facility like those found in Western Canada, itā€™s a successful company that serves the needs of local farmers and consumers.

Embracing a diversity-is-our strength narrative, the CBC headline read, ā€œBlessed beef a boon for P.E.I. company.ā€

Many of the employees are Muslim newcomers to Canada, but it was a statement from the companyā€™s CEO that created some controversy on the island when he told the CBC that ā€œallā€ cattle are slaughtered in the halal method, even though the Muslim population on PEI is about 2%.

When some people of different faiths took exception to the all-halal statement, they were condemned by the usual suspects so now the story was about bigotry.

Watch as I share what happened after I put in a call to the CEO of Atlantic Beef Products, Russ Mallard, to ask why his company is 100% halal especially given the tiny Muslim population on the island.

That call led me down a path of conflicting answers and eventually, non-responses that left me to conclude that itā€™s time for Mr. Mallard to talk turkey with the people of Prince Edward Island.

CBCā€™s ā€œglowing profileā€ of P.E.I.ā€™s ā€œall-Halalā€ slaughterhouse sparks controversy

He's the CEO, if he wants to be all halal that's his business, if someone has a problem with it then don't buy their beef, hell all it means is they don't use meat from the hindquarters. I could care less one way or the other, beef is beef.

Halal, like kosher, requires that an animal to be slaughtered for human consumption be treated in a certain way that is as dignified as one can be in that situation and does not involve fear and unnecessary suffering. The animal should not see another being killed, and then should die quickly in a manner that affords a quick death, as painlessly as possible. Certain of our meat producers line animals up for their deaths, using things like electric prods. Kosher and halal methods cut down on the amount of cruelty inflicted on these animals.

Forum List

Back